android
Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 AM

Default Recommendation for a SGP 4 replacement?

HI all,
My SGP 4.0 just got stolen. I wonder if there is anything I can do? I did not install any tracking app on it.

Anyway, I really love the SGP 4 as it does everything I need. The only thing I hate is the battery life.

I'd appreciate if you can give me some recommendation for a replacement. Should I get
another SGP 4 or is there something else that is better now? About the similar size
and functionalities as the SGP 4 is what I need.

I just looked on Amazon and SGP 4 is still US$180, same as what I paid 6 months ago.
The SGP 4 (YP-GS1) in Europe is about US $125. Is there a big difference between the two?
Can I use it in US?

I'd really appreciate any help or inputs you can give.
Thank you very much in advance.
-mike-

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 AM

There is an app called Plan B that may work which can be installed after your device is lost try it it might work, you can install it via the Play Store.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I was looking around and found 'Androidlost.com' app and I went to google app store and clicked on 'install'. Not sure if it will do anything. Should I also install Plan B? I was wearing it on my belt and was stolen on the bus without my knowledge...

I locked the screen with a 10-digit pin, can they unlock it without knowing the pin or will they have to restore it to factory default setting and wipe out everything before they can use it? In that case, I guess AndroidLost or plan B won't work?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Oh that really stinks. Sorry for that bad piece of luck.
Good reminder to be vigilant in public places with your phone as well as your wallet.

Probably just crackheads- and will chuck it away once they realize it's not a phone or that it's password protected. Nobody is going to know how to get factory defaults reset.

Personally I'm very happy with my 5.0. 2500mAh battery on that thing is very nice...no issues. And much easier to use for web browsing, etc. Still pocket-able.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it really sucked big time. I never had anything stolen from me in US and in my 3rd day here in Italy my SGP disappeared while I was taking the bus! The bus was packed and everybody is touching everybody else on the bus that I did not even know it was gone until after I got off. I relied on it for the GPS/maps and emails/photos and now they are all gone. I guess I'm lucky to still have my passport and wallet!

I may give the 5.0 a try.

Thank you so much.
mike

Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it really sucked big time. I never had anything stolen from me in US and in my 3rd day here in Italy my SGP disappeared while I was taking the bus! The bus was packed and everybody is touching everybody else on the bus that I did not even know it was gone until after I got off. I relied on it for the GPS/maps and emails/photos and now they are all gone. I guess I'm lucky to still have my passport and wallet!

Thank you so much.
mike

I had a wonderfull vacation in Italy this June. Italy is a fantastic place to visit, and the vast majority of Italians are fine and honest people. BUT Itay is infamous for pickpockets and petty theft. Two of my friends had their wallets lifted while they were in St. Peter's Cathedral. Momma mia, is nothing sacred?

+1 on the SGP 5.0. The screen is huge and the battery lasts a long, long time.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post

Thank you so much.
mike
i second what blackdog said. i also have the 5 and my wife and son have the 4. the 5 is much easier to use and still extremely portable. great mix of both

Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Go to https://market.android.com/details?i...out.labs.planb and click "Install." Select your SGP and then hit "Install" once more. You should then get an email (in your Gmail account) that tells you where the device is, assuming the device is connected to the internet. If not, I'm afraid it's probably gone for good.

I'd go for the SGP 4.2 as a replacement. That extra bit of RAM will make a bit of a difference for gaming, and the front-facing speakers are better for watching movies and such even if they are quieter than the ones on the 4.0. And the screen on the 4.2 is still much better than the 5.0's.
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 rooted + 32 GB Samsung uSD - Samsung T10 Bright Lime Green 4GB - Sansa Clip+ Black 4GB minus screen - SanDisk DAP 512 MB (modified to take two AAs instead of one AAA) - KITSOUND KSDJ headphones - SoundMAGIC E10 IEMs

Old 10-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Thank you for all your inputs and I appreciate them all.
After reading more on ICS, I think I would like one that runs ICS, just for its built-in encryption/decryption of internal memory and SD card. What do you think?
Thanks again!