android
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Help Major difficulties with a used Gigabeat S (WMP won't detect)

Hey everybody. I bought a gigabeat S (specifically an MES30) from amazon.

First off, I think it might be a test version. All the references online to the Gigabeat S list it as an MES30VW. The designation on the back of mine is simple MES30, which isn't unusual, but there are other things odd too.
When powering up from switching the battery off, it shows a Zune logo with a huge TEST in a red box across the top.
It's also "missing" labels on the lower navigation buttons (looks like a +) but has them on everything else. I remember a review mentioning that some of their buttons were unlabeled.
Most importantly, it's missing several menu options that the user manual refers to, including the "restore factory settings" option.

I've been having fits getting WMP11 to detect it, though I've gotten the drivers installed and it shows up in my computer and in device manager. I've tried WMP 10 and 11 to no avail. I tried to get my laptop to detect it as well, but it didn't load the drivers from windows update, and I didn't expect a much better experience on the laptop.

I got this player to put rockbox on it, since I know that devices that use MTP annoy me to no end, and I think it could be a good player, if I can ever get it to work.

I'm not using a USB hub, the player itself shows "initializing" then "connected" and stays "connected" until I disconnect the USB cable. I just can't get WMP or anything else(the firmware updater and beastpatcher) to detect the device.
I've tried using WMP10, installing WMP11 with/without the player attached, checked/changed the file permissions in the regkeys HKLM\...\enum, tried applying the patch referred to about WMP11 hanging when detecting a device.

As it is now, if I attach the device with WMP running, WMP doesn't acknowledge it. If I attach the device, then start WMP, WMP hangs forever.

1) Is this a weird pre-release/prototype player?
2) Am I missing something, or is there something else I can try? I suppose I can do all this on the laptop too, or try to do it in OpenSUSE(linux), though I'm a novice in that OS.
3) Does anyone know what was "installed" from the original CD, or where to find the contents of that CD? I'm guessing it was an MTP patch for WMP10, but I'm not sure, and I can't find the cd anywhere. Even though windows picks up hardware drivers on its own, that doesn't mean that WMP has what it needs. The manual mentions needing to have the install CD to load the player to WMP10.
4) How do I do a hard-reset to factory settings? The procedures I've found say to hold the left arrow and start buttons while powering on, but that does nothing. I've tried the "left" and "previous screen" buttons.

I worked in IT for a few years, so I am pretty capable, but I'm at my wit's end, especially with all the intentional ignoring of the products by microsoft and toshiba.

For now, I'm walking away until later today or tomorrow.
Cheers!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Download Foobar2000 or MediaMonkey and see if the device is recognized. WMP gets no luv around here,...it's was and always remains crap.

As for the Zune logo,...sounds like you got a device someone attempted to put the Zune hdd players FW on. You might be in trouble there, unless you get the original FW for the gigabeat and get it to reinstall. That's what I did when I had issues with a corrupt drive. It work fine after that,...and it's on vacation with a buddy in Hong-Kong still.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 PM

It's not showing up in MediaMonkey. I love foobar! I didn't know it did portable devices though; do you need a plugin?

I think the MTP protocol/drivers/files are whacked, but don't know how to check other than verifying that the files exist in \system32\drivers and \system32.

By original firmware, do you mean the gbs_update_1_3_us.exe file from Toshiba, or is there an older version?

Also, this OS looks exactly like the zune an old girlfriend had. The navigation style and the background. Is there supposed to be a background and such on the gigabeat?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 PM

My firmware version reads "Version 1.1 (242) TEST" (newline) "Hardware: 0.0" "Built at 7:39:05am 8/17/2006 by REDMOND\xblds"
The firmware screen has "zune" in the upper left and a big zune logo +"zune" on another line. Nowhere in the firmware does it say gigabeat anything.
I think someone put zune firmware on this gigabeat, or that this is some sort of whacked out prototype.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Ok, so someone definitely has loaded up some Zune firmware.... I was able to get the device to go to firmware-restoring recovery mode by sort of following http://www.ehow.com/how_6831243_dele...-firmware.html . I held the "back", center, and "left" buttons.

NOW, the device shows up in mediamonkey. Still doesn't show up in the toshiba firmware recovery utility, which is what I really want to happen, or in WMP.
Beastpatcher couldn't detect it, only my nero fast burning plugin (maybe beastpatcher works through windows media player).

Sendfirm is currently sending NK.bin from the gbs_update_1_3_us Toshiba firmware update/recovery tool. Will update later.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Administrator

foobar2000 doesn't work with MTP devices. It needs to see a drive letter to work. There's no MTP plugin for it either.

I'm guessing like TDS someone did some hacking on yours. That was fairly common at that time when it was thought the Zune/Gigabeat was a potential iPod killer. Not only that, a HDD that size was considered huge and more than a few people wanted to be able to freely access it. I know I did.

MusicBee can see the file system of a Zune but my experience is that it can only delete. The one time I did that it screwed up the MTP environment and I had to wipe it then use the Zune software to restore access.

When I tried looking at the MTP environment of a Zune in Linux the results were the same. I could see it but the only interactions I had were negative. There's always the chance the Gigabeat will be different if the encryption on the connection is different. You could try fire up a Linux Live CD and try your luck.

You could try installing the Zune software to see if that can address the player. If you truly dislike Microsoft as much as you've said I'd save that as a last ditch effort. The Zune software installs deeper than any other I know.

I have it on an beater system that I don't use for much of anything else. I won't put it on a machine I use for anything serious. It's much better behaved than what it was at at one time but I got smoked by it a couple of times. I prefer not to take that chance again on my main machine.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Well, the really aggravating thing is that I bought this in "like new" condition from amazon.

Does anyone know more about the program sendfirm? I sent the toshiba NK.bin and Recovery.bin, but neither did anything to change the behaviour of the device. It's still loading up to the "connect your device and restore the Zune firmware with zune software".
I'm sending the pmboot_secure.bin now. That's the entire contents of what the Toshiba firmware recovery/update software self-extractor contains.

I had a clutch archos jukebox player w/rockbox and 100gb, car charger (and auto-pause/resume when turning the car on/off).... if only they hadn't used solder as a structural connection, I'd still have it.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:45 PM

All right, so apparently sendfirm is doing something. I'll head over to rockbox archives/faq to read more into it.

As of now, I have the player still booting into recovery mode every time, but it appears as a 1gb device in WMP11 and in MediaMonkey. Still not recognized in beastpatcher afaik, though trying to load the rockbox bootloader this time is taking a long time - maybe something is happening.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 AM

If anyone can guide me as to how to load the original (or any) gigabeat firmware onto the device to get rid of the zune firmware, using sendfirm, I would be much obliged. The Toshiba restore tool won't recognize it as a gigabeat, I think because of the wacky zune firmware.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Administrator

I can't think of anyone that's been here recently that would know much of anything about installing Rockbox on a gigabeat S. I think that if you're going to find anyone that could help with sendfirm it would be either on the Rockbox forum or irc:/rockbox. Someone there may have more information on how you can get around the Zune start up screen.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I ended up just putting the Rockbox loader & file folders on the gigabeat when I did it (I think?). And I believe it worked immediately. Try using either the Rockbox installer, or just wiping the hdd and reinstalling the FW afterwards. I had to wipe,...but I no longer remember the exact steps. It was a few years ago,...I personally found the player to be 2 buggy.

As for buying it on Amazon, I'd return it and file a complaint. You got a used test device,...not cool.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 PM

I'll probably wind up returning it after all. I was really looking forward to a slick player, but after reading more about battery issues and all this idiocy with firmware and the terrible MTP connection mode, I'm regretting my decision.

I'll return it if I don't get it working in the next few hours.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I personally had so many issues with the player I Rockboxed it just to get it to be stable. Even then it gave me issues,...I was hoping you'd manage to get better results. Return that sucker!!!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM

All right, I was able to find the "original" v1.2 firmware from toshiba by following their link for the v1_3 updater and changing the 3 to a 1. The new link is effectively http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...ate_1_2_us.exe

This 1_2 version was able to load some gigabeat software that actually booted up into the proper firmware. I'm going to email the seller and ask where they got the device, because it seems like it has some weird zune bootloader on it that I can't get around. Even though it's loading the gigabeat software, it's still displaying the zune logo and red-boxed TEST when it loads up from a hard-off.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 PM

Bahahaha, rockboxed it just to get more stability? That does not bode well. I'll email the seller now.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 AM

AAaaaand, I'm done.

I did find a most useful utility at http://www.aibohack.com/giga/ that restored the "original" 1.1 firmware.

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So, done meaning fixed the FW issues, or decided to return it?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 AM

Have you managed to find a fresh battery for your new/old Gigabeat S? I have purchased and installed three different "new" batteries on my S30 and got 0.5 to 4 hours of music play. I suspect all the batteries being sold on ebay and elsewhere (at least the ones I bought) were manufactured in 2006, and lithium ion batteries have a 3-4 year shelf life.