android
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 PM

Lightbulb Nexus 4

Im thinking about purchasing a Nexus 4 to use as a media player. But when I need it to be a phone the option will be there. The price of a Nexus 4 8gb is $299 which is a very affordable unlocked smartphone with decent specs but the storage is really low. The ipod touch 5g has 4x the storage and is also the same price but doesn't have cellular capabilities. So what are your thoughts on this guys? The SGP line looks like it won't ever be refreshed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Phones and media players are two diferent categories. If you need a phone, get the Nexus. However, if you feel you will be requiring more space, and listening to music for long periods of time, IMO a good solution would be to still get the phone and a Sansa Cli+/zip player also. This way, you will have the additional space when needed.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM

Why not consider a Samsung Galaxy Note?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane John View Post
To buy a Galaxy Note off contract would cost twice as much (or more) as the Nexus 4.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM

my issue with using a phone as a media player is you are going to hammer the battery, then the phone won't work when you need it. The nexus does not have a replaceable battery, which puts me off it.
I have all the media I want, I'm not interested in renting content online from google/apple/amazon. My 64GB card in my 5.0 is wonderfull, and I have a 32GB card as back up..
I've got a basic samsung android phone and the 5.0 that cost me 200 combined.
What's wrong with your SGP? mine runs on android 2.2, that's fine for me.

marcel

Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel f View Post
my issue with using a phone as a media player is you are going to hammer the battery, then the phone won't work when you need it. The nexus does not have a replaceable battery, which puts me off it.
I have all the media I want, I'm not interested in renting content online from google/apple/amazon. My 64GB card in my 5.0 is wonderfull, and I have a 32GB card as back up..
I've got a basic samsung android phone and the 5.0 that cost me 200 combined.
What's wrong with your SGP? mine runs on android 2.2, that's fine for me.

marcel
Im using a feature phone that has a qwerty keyboard. So I already have a phone. Im just planning on using the Nexus 4 as a media player. But when I need it to be a phone it will function as one. The SGP is fine but I want something running vanilla android with no bloatware.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane John View Post
As Marvin has stated before the unlocked SGN costs double of what the Nexus 4 costs unlocked.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM

The way I see it, the nexus 4 (and the rest of the nexus line for that matter) suffer the same fatal flaw of apple, no expandable storage, they want you to stream everything over a limited data connection and thats just such an epic fail I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
The way I see it, the nexus 4 (and the rest of the nexus line for that matter) suffer the same fatal flaw of apple, no expandable storage, they want you to stream everything over a limited data connection and thats just such an epic fail I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
I 100% completely agree with your statement as a owner of the galaxy nexus. But, when comparing the price of the Nexus 4 to similarly spec phones, it is still the best bang per buck even given the device's flaws(lack of expandable storage, lack of removable battery and mediocre to bad battery life).

Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM

as far as I'm aware, th nexus 4 should work with an otg cable, so you can plug in a card reader or usb key into the phone, not ideal, but it does give you some flexibility for media

marcel

Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 PM

I bought a Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store, but returned it within the two week remorse period. I had a lot of trouble connecting to my wifi router even when I was only six feet away. It also turns out that Google is a really nasty company to do business with. Getting them to let me return it was a real PITA even though I was inside their14 day window of return. I don't intend to buy any more devices directly from Google.