android
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Opening up the SGP 5/dust under the screen?

I've got dust under the screen that I can see very visibly on dark screens or when the sun is very bright out. If I manage to open it, will I be able to clean it out? And if so, how can I open it? I tried, and got it open a little, but I was afraid of breaking it, so I stopped... Advice?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 AM

How far apart did you have it? I've had mine to the point of battery out, camera and audio jack disconnected and out,and the min board out. Didn't seem like there was much left after that. I can try and find pics I took if you want.
Did you ever use compressed air to "clean" your player off? While it does do a good job of removing fine dust from crevices it also pushes dust and dirt in if you use hi pressure or are too close.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 AM

I use a plastic prying tool to open mine,they are sold on ebay and and amazon.com listed as iPod prying tools,but they work with all electronics,including smartphones and all gadgets. Its best to start from the spot next to the MicroSD slot,then slowly pry it and open it from the left side. Its fairly easy to get everything out down to the screen. Carefully lift all the levers and remove all the parts until you reach the screen,then clean the screen and place everything back together again.

Its pretty easy to know where all the stuff connects to,its like putting a puzzle together since they only fit in a specific spot.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. I never even got the plastic back all the way off. I got sizable gaps on either side, but prying it apart on the top and bottom, I put a fair bit of muscle into it, and just felt that any more would be dangerous. Were the top and bottom more difficult for you guys as well? AEVAREX, the dust is already completely under the screen. I had a similar thing happen with my Sansa e260, but that was really easy to disassemble and clean and replace the gasket (it was a well known issue...). Thanks for the link, Lagoo. I used an eyeglass screw driver, and it marred the plastic, but it fits in with the rest of the rough love pretty well haha.

I guess my issue just boils down to I don't know if I'm pulling too hard to break it or not. Apparently not I suppose. But it's good to know I can indeed get to the screen and just pop it all back together. Thanks again, guys.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:25 PM

I once took apart my SGP 4.0" (I've posted here on ABi about it, search for the pictures if you want). However, I stopped short of popping apart the screen as that was something I didn't feel comfortable doing. From my experience taking apart and fixing electronics, once you start to feel uncomfortable prying any harder, that's usually intuition saying "Stop, any farther and you'll break it!"

What you could try is gently heating the front of the screen with a blow drier set to low. Move the nozzle of the blow drier over the screen in small circles, especially focusing on the edges. Try to heat the screen as evenly as possible, and when it is hot enough to burn your fingers if you hold them on the screen for more than a second or two (usually ~45 seconds of heating), try prying it open. Sometimes you might only get one corner open before the adhesive cools again and you have to repeat the process. Work patiently, rush it and you might break something!

Mind you, try this only if you really feel the need to remove the dust. Annoying as it may be, I've found that dust particles are often better left alone, depending on the difficulty of disassembly of the device. Good luck!
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 rooted + 32 GB Samsung uSD - Samsung T10 Bright Lime Green 4GB - Sansa Clip+ Black 4GB minus screen - SanDisk DAP 512 MB (modified to take two AAs instead of one AAA) - KITSOUND KSDJ headphones - SoundMAGIC E10 IEMs