android
Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Default App problem -- device is not compatible

I have the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 and am running into a number of applications that I can't find in the Market and show up as not compatible with device when I look them up in the web browser. Examples are Life360, Walgreens, USPS. I talked to a developer of an app for a local hospital that did the same thing, and he saw no reason why there would be compatibility issues. Does anyone understand why this happens? Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas43 View Post
I have the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 and am running into a number of applications that I can't find in the Market and show up as not compatible with device when I look them up in the web browser. Examples are Life360, Walgreens, USPS. I talked to a developer of an app for a local hospital that did the same thing, and he saw no reason why there would be compatibility issues. Does anyone understand why this happens? Thanks.
There's fonctionality on the galaxy player there don't have on the other android devices. This is generaly because they lack the phone fonctions like calls and text messaging. Like ebuddy XMS isn't compatible with galaxy player because it need to send SMS. Maybe the application you need have those restrictions so it isn't compatible with the galaxy player.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:45 PM

This happened to me but I decided to installing outside the market.
The Go Launcher Ex, for example, works perfectly. I ignored the supposed incompatibility and have not had even a bug. 100% compatible.

I recommend seeking the "incompatible" out of the market to prove.

(By Google Translate)

Old 11-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks. I've tried to install outside of the market, but none of the wesites will let me do it.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:51 PM

could this help??

http://www.androidcentral.com/sidelo...wonder-machine

Have a Magical Day

Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 AM

I've heard some apps will install but hang. One being the Sirius App, however I found a work-around for that by installing it on a phone first and then moving one of the files over to the player. It works on the Archos 43, no reason why it won't work for the Galaxy Player.

This is not really super important since AT&T put its limitation on non-smartphone about using more than 200MB of data (Oct 1st Data Caps).

Looks like I'll be investing in a MiFi unit when the time comes.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 PM

I had this problem on my Samsung Player 5.0. The market app would only bring up the Google Play terms of service. If I browsed to the Market via the browser it would give me and error along the vein of "you have not logged in via the market app on your device" . I tried everything including reseting the device to factory defaults assuming it was an authentication issue. But it turns out that the solution is to be quick on your fingers. The marketplace app puts up accept and decline buttons that rapidly disappear when the browser brings up the terms of service . you must be ready for when those button flash on the screen. If you miss it the first ( or any subsequent times) you can got to manage apps and clear the cache for the market app then go back to the market app and quickly click the accept button.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:57 PM

when apps show up as incompatible, see if there is a way you can legally download them from the DEVELOPER and then copy it to your player from your computer and install it, this is called sideloading. aside from that you could look into the custom ROMs available for your player and see if any have a deviceID hack incorporated, on the 4.0 that got us around alot of the incompatibility messages.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:43 PM

if you're not in the US, it'll prevent you from downloading certain apps. to get around that, get "marketenabler"

if it isn't compatible with the SGP (but really is) AND ***if you're rooted, you can simply change this entry in "build.prop" (located in your /system folder): "
"ro.product.model=YP-G70" to "ro.product.model=GT-I9000"
everything else can/should be left alone.

if your file explorer doesn't allow the option to open and edit, just copy elsewhere, rename as a .txt file, edit, then copy back.

backup the original file by "bak"ing it (ie rename to "build.prop.bak") in case you want to easily restore later (which you might want to do given that I remember seeing an incompatibility with a specific app/service). This tells your OS that that file ("xxx.xxx.bak") is a backup file. Leave it in the same folder and rename when you want to use it (overriding your then-current build.prop)

Note: If you do this, don't open Kakao until you've restored the original file. Otherwise, it'll "think" that you've changed devices and will make you do that annoying initialization/registration thing all over again.

Note: The trick I use to keep it from getting tedious is via "Root Explorer". Copy the original "build.prop" file elsewhere and modify. Copy and override the original "build.prop" The app will automatically ask if you want to save the file you're overriding as a backup. (ie "build.prop.bak.bak") Say yes. Voila; get rid of the .bak extensions when you want to use.

Last edited by alljokingaside; 12-28-2012 at 09:08 PM.