android
Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Default Beware european warranty service centre

Hi all,

A bit more than 2 years ago I bought a Fuze v2 (happily rockboxed), and after around 11 months the headphone jack broke because when my headphones were plugged in my pocket each day I think with the action of my leg against it.

So I sent it to the Sandisk repair centre, which is in czech republic. From France that was a bit pricy to send the Sansa there (around 10 EUR), but as there is no other option... That's a pretty shitty service I would say, having to send back the unit to another country. So they sent me back a new Fuze v2 a couple of days/weeks later.

Then nearly a year after that, just before the warranty expired the headphone jack broke again (can only hear one side). First they argued that my warranty had expired but it seemd that it was because they messed up with the warranty date of a Sansa Clip I bought for a friend a couple of months before I bought my Fuze. So it took them some time to realize they were wrong and even after that they said that warranty was only 1 year, even though it stated 2 years on my Fuze package (and of course minimum warranty in europe is 2 years). Well finally I sent the Fuze back, they sent me a new one... With a different package, a bit dusty. When I started the Fuze the UI was different than my previous one, then I realized they sent me an old Fuze v1.

I had to update the firmware myself because it was on an early version of the v1 firmware, seems to show that this unit has been waiting on a shelf for a pretty long time. Realizing after a few days that v1 had a pretty poor battery life (almost 5 to 7 hours less than my v2), I called them back, asking to get the same product I had paid for. After another couple of days I got an answer from the head of Sandisk warranty support in France saying that there is no v2 left and that for them it's the same product so they won't give my money back either or any other kind of compensation.

So basically don't send them back a Fuze v2, you'll get a v1 instead and they won't even give you some reduction on a Clip if you're not happy with having a old player with low battery life instead of what you had. Pretty shitty warranty support I think.

I read later that under european warranty law the seller is reponsible for the warranty, so you don't have to send it directly to the maker. Like for me if I got in touch with Amazon where I bought my Fuze, maybe they would have offered me a refund instead... I'll think about that the next time, in two years when my Fuze will have a broken headphone jack and I'll buy a Clip+ or Clip Zip and it'll break exactly the same as it seems to be a common weakness...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Sorry to hear about your problems with your players but the sandisk service center has it right. Unless it was represented otherwise by sandisk at the original sale you bought a Fuze, not a V1 or V2 Fuze. The warranty service would be obligated to replace that Fuze with an item from their stock that equals the original item sold. As there's no way to tell which version is being sold except to turn it on and check the firmware when you bought it you bought a Fuze, not a particular variant. That's what they have to replace.

I can understand your frustration. I've had both V1 and V2 Fuzes. While the sound quality is the same there are other differences that make the V2 the preferred model. Battery life is significantly worse using Rockbox. Video isn't a Fuze strong point but being able to reliably play video from the external memory on a V2 makes it much more convenient.

saratoga saays the difference in the hardware means it's highly unlikely the V1 Fuze can get the rated battery life under the OF. Unfortunately it's unlikely that will do you any good on the battery life part of your claim. sandisk has staed the battery life to be 24 hrs. on both versions. They no doubt have test results showing the battery life minimum on the V1.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:53 AM

The v1 packaging is very different from the v2 packaging, so that's a good way of knowing what version you get. But btw I don't think that the product equals what I paid for, that's why I'm warning people about this fact.

But yeah that's still something that can happen, I'm still happy to have a Fuze that works but the main concern is how can they sell a product that doesn't last one year in normal use conditions? I'm very careful with my hardware, it doesn't have any scratch and always kept in its pouch but the bare action of thigh against the headphone jack broke it in less than a year... that's a design problem I think.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Administrator

The packaging on the V1 and V2 models may be different where you're at but it hasn't been elsewhere. There have been threads where someone thought they came up with a way to reliably identify which model was in the box by the packaging and it never turned out to be the case.

Someone would track down the package that was suppose to have one model in it and it turned out to be the other. It's one of the reasons for the stickies in the sansa forums to help people identify the model they have by the only way anyone has found to be 100% reliable. That's to turn it on and check the firmware version.

You say you're very careful with your players but you also say you use them with them in your pants pocket with the headphones plugged in. I've found the hard way that doing that will break any player I've had at the headphone jack. You're sticking a solid copper rod into the middle of some relatively fragile electronics and then levering against it maybe thousands of time a day as you walk. If you squat or run the amount of force increases quite a bit.

After I killed a sansa e260, a RCA Opal and an iPod like that I figured it wasn't the player but how I was using it. Since I stopped carrying my players in a pants pocket none of the headphone jacks have broken. That includes the several Fuzes I've owned, gifted or sold. They've died other ways but not by the headphone connection going bad.

I'm not defending the Fuze build quality. I don't they're especially well made. It's just that if you use one in a way that tends to break just about any other player it's hard to assign the problem to a design flaw.