android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Help What are the best earphones that have amazing clarity (instead of just great bass)?

I'm looking for some earphones, preferably OEMs and not the ones that go into your ear canal (IEMs?). I'm not a big fan of bass, I prefer the clarity in music.

My preferred music is Classic rock, country sometimes. I prefer listening to clear voices
in my music.

Do you have any suggestions for something under $100? I'll likely be plugging them into an MP3 player, probably a Sansa Clip Zip.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try the Creative Aurvana Live headphones. They're inexpensive, the clarity is exceptional, and the sq is pretty even across the board.

Then there's the Sony DR-ZX701ip. They have the iPod inline controls, which you can just ignore. I prefer then over the CAL's above. They're currently $45 on Woot!.com: http://tech.woot.com/offers/sony-stu...nes-for-ipod-1
The sq is excellent. And the bass is good, clarity wonderful, and the price is right IMO.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:26 PM

Those sound awesome, but I was looking for some earbuds/earphones, have any suggestions there?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your looking for earbuds, not iem's. I don't personally do earbuds,...

Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad90y View Post
I'm looking for some earphones, preferably OEMs and not the ones that go into your ear canal (IEMs?)....
OEM stands for "original equipment manufacturer," we refer to many Chinese re-branded phones to popular companies as OEM made. You probably mean earbuds, not OEM. There's not that many high end earbuds, while I've never tried the Yuin earbuds, there are many peeps that swear by them. Look here for one of their models.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
OEM stands for "original equipment manufacturer," we refer to many Chinese re-branded phones to popular companies as OEM made. You probably mean earbuds, not OEM. There's not that many high end earbuds, while I've never tried the Yuin earbuds, there are many peeps that swear by them. Look here for one of their models.
I just spent like 2 hours reading about these, nothing but amazing reviews about them. My question is, they crap out and the build quality is very bad according to many people.

I found this, what do you think? Will those make them last longer?

Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check the Sennheiser website for some earbuds, and then do a little trolling via Google for some reviews: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/earbuds-ear-headphones

Old 12-26-2012, 05:02 AM

hi,

im not keen on iems either and my fave buds are my bose ie2s - great sound and comfort
but they are a bit pricey - about £85

seems very hard to get good non iems these days i find

cheers
dan

Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Aside from the Yuins, the Sennheiser MX580 and MX581 traditional earbuds are pretty good. I have the MX580 and like it very much. I was originally resistant to buying IEMs, but after buying some of them and getting used to them, I like them. I won't use an IEM though when I need to hear my surroundings, such as when I am walking around.

There are even more expensive Sennheiser traditional earbuds(MX880, MX980, MX985). There are also some great vintage traditional earbuds like the Sony MDR-E484, although some are expensive, and you will probably only find them used. The Sony MDR-E888 sounds quite good and might be found new, however there are so many fakes around you need to be careful when buying one.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danx55 View Post
hi,

im not keen on iems either and my fave buds are my bose ie2s - great sound and comfort
but they are a bit pricey - about £85

seems very hard to get good non iems these days i find

cheers
dan
In the link I posted, which I guess you didn't bother to check, there are EARBUDS listed.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad90y View Post
I just spent like 2 hours reading about these, nothing but amazing reviews about them. My question is, they crap out and the build quality is very bad according to many people.

I found this, what do you think? Will those make them last longer?
Not sure, I don't buy name brands or headphone stuff from ebay to many fake items there even with the brand names on them. Normally all my IEMs last a long time cause I take care of them. I don't pull from cords, only the jack. I use IEM case for storage when not in use, I store them with desiccant packs in case and I regularly clean & disinfect them with a diluted hydrogen peroxide/water mix. Now on the other hand if I give one to my kids it might only last 6 months :/

I can't say anything specific about the Yuin's because I've only seen them, never used. I do have a friend that had a pair to test and really liked them but sold them off after his testing. AFAIK he did not have any problems with them during the 6+ months he owned them. No matter how great an items build quality is, if one does not take care of it, eventually it will break at the weakest point ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
In the link I posted, which I guess you didn't bother to check, there are EARBUDS listed.
thanks - slightly harsh, but i get your point cheers
i tend to find it more tricky to keep tabs on thread updates when on phone rather than pc etc

ah i see - senns - im not a big fan - had some dodgy ones - plus their support was hopeless

Old 01-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, not a Sennheiser fan. No problem,...

Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM

:-) no worries. I think they generally sound ok, but I just hate bad support

Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

well your option arent too broad so you may have to sacrifice quality, support, or form factor

Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM

yes that is the case unfortunately.
senns are the obvious choice here I think

Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I guess the Yuin PK3 or Sennheiser MX581 are probably the best values under $100, as the MX880 seems to no longer be available. The MX580 is now around $20 more than the MX581, so the MX581 is probably the better choice. The Sennheiser MX365 for under $20 also looks interesting. better quality traditional earbuds are disappearing.