android
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM

Default Reason enough to buy a Clip Zip over a plus

I always thought the Rockbox font on the Clip Plus was too tiny. The larger screen of the Zip makes a huge difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rockbox_clip.jpg (46.4 KB, 97 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM

Thanks. I have a Clip zip coming my way. My Rockbox'd Clip+ served me well until it shattered apart.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I found the D-pad too small on the zip tbh I preferred the clip+ overall.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I found the D-pad too small on the zip tbh I preferred the clip+ overall.
Works just fine for me.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Its placed to far down, its more awkward i rekon, it tilts the device too much (when pressing) and hitting the play/pause was more difficult somehow. When u study the device there's actually alot of space for the D-pad to meet the screen or have the screen become larger still and meet the d-pad, its design is not as good considering this is the next model up. Space coulda been utilised better (and don't start me on the poor quality of the screen ho ho ho).

Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Its placed to far down, its more awkward i rekon, it tilts the device too much (when pressing) and hitting the play/pause was more difficult somehow. When u study the device there's actually alot of space for the D-pad to meet the screen or have the screen become larger still and meet the d-pad, its design is not as good considering this is the next model up. Space coulda been utilised better (and don't start me on the poor quality of the screen ho ho ho).
With Rockbox, the screen is good enough. At least then you can choose different themes that work better with it....but it looks awful in the OF.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Reason: Clip Zip is now stable in Rockbox (YAY!) check it out 3.13 release notes

(and why i dont see it in abi rss )

Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3rd View Post
Reason: Clip Zip is now stable in Rockbox (YAY!) check it out 3.13 release notes

(and why i dont see it in abi rss )
I think it was noted in the forums awhile back . . . .

Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try the runner theme on the Rockboxed Clip zip. The white on black background is so easy to read even with very low screen brightness. They claim the runner theme is the most energy efficient theme.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Try the runner theme on the Rockboxed Clip zip. The white on black background is so easy to read even with very low screen brightness. They claim the runner theme is the most energy efficient theme.
Try 6four & 9six themes they are just like the runner theme and the new rockbox has a extra feature that disables the backlight when adjusting the volume or skipping the tracks makes my sansa clipzip much battery efficient

Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Administrator

There's no new Rockbox with that feature. What you linked is a custom build that would need to be compiled again to update it in the future. Anyone deciding to use it that wants that feature will be stuck with it unless they learn how to build Rockbox or are willing to wait until someone else updates it.

It would also be better for those saying one theme saves energy over another to post battery bench results using the themes that are said to be more battery friendly vs. the stock theme. That would help others by letting them know if the theme really is more battery friendly or it's just another of the myths that pop up concerning Rockbox.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post

It would also be better for those saying one theme saves energy over another to post battery bench results using the themes that are said to be more battery friendly vs. the stock theme. That would help others by letting them know if the theme really is more battery friendly or it's just another of the myths that pop up concerning Rockbox.
I'm not sure how helpful the battery bench would really be in that circumstance.
Brightness and backlight time settings can make a significant difference in real-world use (as opposed to a battery bench where the player sits there undisturbed and plays until it shuts down), and I would guess they'd make more of a difference than which theme you choose to use.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Administrator

It would seem you could run the battery bench with one theme then the other. Use only the WPS and have the back light set to keep the screen on. If one is more battery friendly it should have a longer runtime. That works for checking all the other settings, I can't see why it wouldn't for checking if a one theme gives more battery life than another.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 AM

You can modify your old (and a little bit destroy ) Sansa Clip+ For home.
And buy the clip zip to go outside and really enjoy the benefit of the larger screen !
AMHA