Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Default Failed Firmware Update and Stuck in Recovery Mode

So, a couple of days ago, my ZVM froze, which isn't all too uncommon, so I simply hit the reset button. When it loaded, it started to rebuild. I turned it off for the night, but the next morning when I turned it back on, it went straight to the Recovery Mode.

I cleaned up the disk and rebooted it, but that didn't work. I read around and decided to update the firmware. Luckily I had a WinXP computer so I was able to get the firmware to recognize my ZVM. I reloaded the firmware and updated it and it had said it was successful. I restarted it and all of a sudden "Firmware Problem" shows up on the screen.

So I tried formatting, reloading, and restarting the player. After trying a few times, the error stopped showing up, but it was stuck on the Zen screen. The hard drive would be spinning and then all of a sudden, it would stop.

Then I tried to get it back to the Recovery Mode and it worked, but it's still stuck on in that mode. Every attempt to update the firmware fails. The Clean Up option now doesn't work. It just says "Scan Disk..." and stays there. I can click on that option again to get rid of that pop up.

Today, I tried updating the firmware again and another error shows up "Hard Disk Problem". I took apart the player to see any of the wires were loose. Now, that error doesn't show up, but it is still in Recovery Mode.

Another thing I noticed was that it said that my ZVM has 50mb storage. I read that that was the partition in the hard drive where the firmware was stored and me being able to see if meant that the firmware wasn't loaded. However, it says that the version is 1.62.02_0.0.23.

Sorry for the wall of text, but is my ZVM salvageable?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]