android
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM

Question Help needed for Installing Custom ROM

hi...

I've searched for the title but am still confused. I've rooted my SMP 5.0 with Superoneclick.

Now, I'm trying to install the custom-rom Eryigit_Rom_PDA_YP-G70_G70ZCKPA.R.3.5-Defult-Extract-it (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1465144) using Odin 1.85 but nothing is happening.

I've done the following to install the rom.

1. Start the player with holding power and volume-up button, and then tried to install the file using Odin - Nothing happens
2. Started the player. Tried to install using Odin - Nothing happens

Please tell me what am I doing wrong

Also, can someone please explain what is the difference between stock and non-stock based roms and what are custom kernels? :-/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM

can someone please guide me :-/

Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Please be patient. This is members helping members, not Customer Support. You've only had this posted for a few hours. That may not have been enough time for someone that's willing or able to answer your question to have seen it.

If you haven't received an answer in 24 hours from now I'd bump this again. Until then you'll just have to be patient.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM

OK, from what I can see skimming the thread the ROM download is a .RAR file which as you should know is similiar to a zip file, so you need to use WINRAR or another compatible program to "unzip" the .rar and get the .tar file and put that in the PDA section of Odin.

Odin flashes .tar files NOT .rar files.

also power and volume up would take you to recovery which is ALL wrong for Odin flashing, Odin flashing is done with the player in DOWNLOAD MODE which is reached with POWER and VOLUME DOWN.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 AM

thanks. i've successfully installed the rom.

are there any other ways of installing the rom other with odin?

- BTW, any idea how can I change the Boot Animation on my device (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1053250). Can it also be done through Odin or some other method is required?

- I've downloaded the Samsung-Accuweather-Widgets.rar but I can't install it using Odin. what to do?

- After installing the ROM, I see an App "Reboot for Eryigit Rom". What is this?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post
thanks. i've successfully installed the rom.

are there any other ways of installing the rom other with odin?

- BTW, any idea how can I change the Boot Animation on my device (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1053250). Can it also be done through Odin or some other method is required?

- I've downloaded the Samsung-Accuweather-Widgets.rar but I can't install it using Odin. what to do?

- After installing the ROM, I see an App "Reboot for Eryigit Rom". What is this?
I used the free version of ROM toolbox from the market and it has a boot animation section where can download animations and apply them, atleast I could on my 4.0

.tar ROMs are usually flashed with Odin but if you know what your doing they can be flashed with Heimdall, Just follow the EXACT instructions for the specific ROM you flash or you could have many problems.

widgets, not to mentions .rar files are NOT flashed with Odin, again unrar the file and you will most likely have a .APK file if this is the case then you can simply copy the apk to your player then from a file browser on your player click on the apk and it should launch the installer (you will need to check unknown sources if you haven't already).

ONLY ROMS AND KERNELS are flashed with odin, widgets are like apps you install them ON the device.

I suggest you do a search on youtube for android rooting and romming basics, here is one http://youtu.be/GOE7cd8vmEY but I suggest you check out several different videos of this type till you gather a better understanding of the different parts and pieces of android.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 AM

disclaimer: not responsible for your device

reboot to recovery (either turn off your device, turn on, then hold power+vol. up, OR reboot to recovery with "Reboot for Eryigit...")

****************make a backup. This is, arguably, the most important step for you.

download whatever bootanimation you want. rename it bootanimation.zip.

go into /system/media

copy the existing bootanimation.zip in /system/media into your SD card, just in case.

move your new bootanimation.zip into /system/media. override the existing one.

go into your file explorer. mount r/w (if you have rootexplorer, it will be on the top right of your screen)

***********IMPORTANT (YOUR DEVICE WILL SOFT BRICK IF YOU DON'T DO THIS)
change the new bootanimation.zip's permissions to rw-r--r--.
(or)
rw-
r--
r--
(I know you can do this with rootexplorer. I don't know what other file explorer will change permissions, though. also, you can do this through terminal emulator, but this is simpler and easier)

reboot and enjoy.

If the file you use is bad or you messed something up, go back into recovery and restore.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM

forgot to mention, in order to copy/replace bootanimation.zip (into /system/media), you'll need to mount r/w (read/write)