android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Help deciding iem or headphones

hey guys im the new guy here looking for a recommendation. I been stuck on trying to make my mind up for the past 4 days. I like the ath-m50 because of the price and they are highly suggested and the beat pro's ( i can find them for $200), as for iem i like the sony eb90ex. I really dont want an amp but if i have to get one it would be a fiio e11 or e6

1. I listen to rap and r&b
2. they will be powered by my galaxy note 2
3. i would like the to be portable

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You dont really mention a budget or where you are located (can effect pricing and availability) so some suggestions are going to be all over the place.

the M50 has become overhyped by a lot of peoples accounts. I dont have one so I cant say first hand. I can say that I listen to a lot of the same music and love my sony xb500 if you can still find a pair. They run well off of my SG3. If you think they are too cheap (not good logic) then look at some ultrasones. for IEMs, I havent heard much about the sonys but they are pretty new. Atrio mg7 and the Audio Technica Solid Bass sets are the most popular for bass heavy in that price range right now. I use the philips she3590 and like them enough that I cant bring myself to pay 10x more for the atrios. I also have the soundmagic e10 and it is a wonderful set for what you are listening to.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 AM

my budget is $240 and i live in the states

Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

combined budget? and are you wanting to spend the total or are you open to money saving suggestions?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Combined. I'm open for suggestions if I can save and still get the sound I'm looking for I'm all for it

Sent from my SPH-L900 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't mean to contribute to overhype, but I'd seriously suggest considering the JVC HA-S500 as an excellent-sounding, portable headphone. I find the bass strong and full enough for hip-hop/R&B without being overbearing, and everything else comes through with impressive clarity, detail, and tonality -- none of the honkiness or congestion that portable closed cans often exhibit. Because the S500 is a Japan-only model, shipping can be a bit more than your average set of headphones, but even then they fall into the $60-$77 range via Amazon or ebay (which I consider a pretty fantastic deal for the sound they offer).

Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I don't mean to contribute to overhype, but I'd seriously suggest considering the JVC HA-S500 as an excellent-sounding, portable headphone. I find the bass strong and full enough for hip-hop/R&B without being overbearing, and everything else comes through with impressive clarity, detail, and tonality -- none of the honkiness or congestion that portable closed cans often exhibit. Because the S500 is a Japan-only model, shipping can be a bit more than your average set of headphones, but even then they fall into the $60-$77 range via Amazon or ebay (which I consider a pretty fantastic deal for the sound they offer).
+1

Old 01-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It seems some compare the JVC HA-S500 to my Sennheiser hd25-1 II's. They sound like a winner to me!!! Especially if the sq is close for 1/3 of what I paid.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was going to suggest the JVC set and a pair of E10. way under your budget but I dont think you get huge gains until you get in the $200-300 range (single set).

Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM

A lot of people suggesting that I stick with just iem's. How are the cks99's

Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
It seems some compare the JVC HA-S500 to my Sennheiser hd25-1 II's. They sound like a winner to me!!! Especially if the sq is close for 1/3 of what I paid.
Again, not to overhype, but I actually favor the S500 to the HD25...but that's primarily because I find the HD25's highs too shrill for comfort and don't need the superior isolation.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM

anyone have experience with the jbl j88'S

Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gula187 View Post
Not I...

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gula187 View Post
Nope,...me neither,...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

nope. I have heard good things about those Audio Technicas though. as for just using IEMs...I primarily use IEMs but I always have my xb500 in my laptop bag for those days where I dont feel like cramming something in my earhole. I would consider that a luxury though, not a requirement.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM

I got a chance to listen to the m50's and they are clear as a bell but they just don't have that bass that I'm looking for.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

yeah, that is what I have been hearing about them. I am not sure how they got a bass heavy rep. I think it was the head-fi hype machine but some people swear AT retuned them. whatever. either way I know I am not excited about them. I would rather have the JVC or Senn HD25 any day.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sony mdr-zx600 is crystal clear, and has major bass (more than the m50, which I didn't like): http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-ZX600.../dp/B007BY3POQ

I own a set myself, and I use them for on-the-go, as well as with my comp. I don't think you'd be disappointed. I did get mine directly form Sony on Black Friday for $40 tho.

Also, the Incase Sonic is another excellent choice: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=incase+sonic

Again, search around and you can get them for around $50. They are a steal for the sq you get.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM

TL;DR: I say some stuff about practical use, but don't give any specific advice about specific products.

IMO the difference between IEM and headphones is that one is super convenient for when you are out and about on the bus etc and will fit in your pocket, and the other is more comfortable for listening at home.

For 240 you can definitely find very nice and comfortable headphones. 240 for IEMs sounds like a bad decision lol. I like to have decent IEMs, but there's a point where you have to remember that the ambient noises of your environment are going to make little differences in quality almost null.

Ideally you eventually have both, but those are just some practical considerations you may be ignoring in the excitement of buying quality listening equipment. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on headphones, they're basically only going to be for home use and I'm not going to make sacrifices for headphones to be more portable. If I'm buying IEMs, I'm not paying more than 100 or so because I already have headphones for when I'm in an ideal listening environment, and the IEMs are just for convenience of travel. You might be different, of course, but consider where you are most going to use whatever you're buying and factor that into your decision ^^

Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

TL/DR,....doofus.