android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM

Default Samsung Galaxy s WiFi 3.6 is it possible install voodoo sound on it?

Hello!

I have question about SGM 3.6 - is it possible install voodoo sound on it? I can't get this information anywhere...

I have to buy good sounded DAP and Samsung Galaxy series with Wolfson dac have very good opinions if we can install this sound driver.

And another question - if i can't install this voodoo sound - is this player has good sound quality with any apps which can improve sound? I'm thinking about ipod touch 1g, sansa clip+, Sony nwz-s63x too - SGS 3.6 will be better then them without voodoo sound?

Or i can spend more money and buy iriver e10...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator

====thread title changed. please use descriptive titles in the future. "Samsung Galaxy s WiFi 3.6" doesn't tell anyone what info you need and isn't searchable for the next person looking for the same info====

Welcome to ABi

No idea if voodoo sound works on the 3.6. Have you checked supercurio's thread over at xdadevelopers? There may also be more info at the SGP all in one thread there.

The RMAA test results I've seen indicate the SGP 3.6 is pretty much as the other players you name without any sound processing apps. The output impedance was lower than what's common in Sonys but that's all that was significantly different. Whether or not something like voodoosound or ViPER4Android will actually improve the sound over that is something I just don't know.

When I had my SGP 4.0 rooted I tried ViPER4Android and didn't think it improved the sound. There were a number of tweaks that changed the sound but they weren't to my taste. I think they worked worked nicely, they just didn't give me what I prefer in sound.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 PM

Did You hear iriver e10?

My biggest problem is that i can't hear all of this DAP - if i could, choice would be easier...

I had just sansa clip+ and i expect better sound.

On all of this topics i can't find answer for my question - is that app run on this DAP.
I wrote to supercurio and i hope He will write to me soon.

Anyway - which of this players has best sound quality in Your opinion?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
When I had my SGP 4.0 rooted I tried ViPER4Android and didn't think it improved the sound. There were a number of tweaks that changed the sound but they weren't to my taste. I think they worked worked nicely, they just didn't give me what I prefer in sound.
I have a big red "WHOOPS!" button I keep right next to my keyboard. I'm hitting it right now as hard as I can. I missed a setting under "UI Setting" that unlocks all kinds of goodies Viper4Android has. I had a early version and hadn't changed it to Advanced. What it's been able to do is much more extensive than what I did with the earlier version.

It doesn't make it strictly speaking better but I've created a couple of effects presets that seem like they're going to be enjoyable. It's easy to get carried away when you first hear something so I can't say how it's going to sound in the long run but my first impressions are positive. I haven't done anything with a fair number of the settings so I'm sure there's a lot more it can do I haven't touched yet.

As far as sound quality is concerned the place to start is your headphones. As long as you are using well encoded files they make a much greater difference than which player you have. Which ones are you using?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 AM

I'm using good encoded files - flac and 320kb which are good enough for portable audio. I'm listening music, what is well mastered. I have a few headphones - Maxell Retro DJ, Koss ksc-75, Philips SHE3590, Superlux HD681. Maybe this isn't top, but they are good/very good (philips are not, but i don't use iem's/erabuds a lot... and i consider BCDD). It will play a lot with Maxell - i don't like their highs - they are poor. And koss ksc-75 - i love this headphones - they could be only more detailed

But i really want to know which players are better, which are more durable, has better battery.

This SGP 3.6 i can buy for only 35$ to it is nice price. Another one player is Hippo Biscuit - maybe them both will be the best choice?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM

The 4.0 has the best sound out of the 4 sgp's.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 PM

But 4.0 is over my budget...

Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
The 4.0 has the best sound out of the 4 sgp's.
According to who? The loaded RMAA test results that I've found and my ears say there isn't enough difference to conclusively say 4.0 is better than the 3.6. I've spent a lot of time with both and can't hear a difference when I've matched the volumes and listened.

Nothing personal but unless you have something different than that I'd think it best to take what you've said with a massive grain of salt. It's those type statements that have people on a quest for a better sounding players when the only real difference is that someone has said there's a difference that may or may not actually exist.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 PM

Yep... so maybe i should focus on battery life, navigation comfort and capacity? Maybe they all play good enough?
EDIT:

Has this Galaxy s 3.6 wolfson dac? Because i dont have information for 100% - where can i find this ?

Last edited by dassu; 01-26-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Exactly!

What you've concluded is what is what I always advise. Don't try shopping sound quality, shop features.

The sound quality differences between DAPs that don't have a significant problem is too small for me to make it a criteria when I decide which to buy. I shop features instead. Battery life, screen size, build quality and available sound enhancements are what I look for.

The sound enhancements, the DSPs I mentioned earlier, can turn a decent player into one that's much more enjoyable. My Cowon and Sony don't sound any different than any other quality player I have without turning on the ClearBass or BBE Effects. Once I add those and tweak them to my taste the difference is enough for me to be glad I spent the extra to have them.

It's too soon to tell how my checking into ViPer4Android will turn out in the long run but the amount of ways it's let me tweak the sound to my taste is encouraging. I've loaded a couple of my favorite impulse files into the convolver and the results are so close to what I get on my PC with foobar2000 it's startling.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 PM

I boguht iriver t6 - anybody know anything about it?

But when i'm talking with friend from other forum - he easily can say about difference between all of this players. Of course he is saying that sound quality is similar, but touch 1g and samsung wave are better then clip + without amp. Galaxy s without voodoo he place between 1g/ wave and clip+.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Administrator

The only iRiver I've heard in the last several years was a B100. Since I only heard it for a few minutes and there was no opportunity to do a meaningful comparison to anything else all I can say is that it sounded OK to me.

TBH, I was more interested in checking if the SRS WOW effects were as poor as what I had remembered on other players. In the little time I listened to it I spent more time playing with those than trying to check the overall sound quality so my experience won't help anyone else that wants to know if it's a good player without the effects.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:35 PM

So what DAP is in Your opinion best, only sound quality has matter. And how many did you listen to?

Old 01-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassu View Post
So what DAP is in Your opinion best, only sound quality has matter.
The one I have my best headphones attached to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassu View Post
And how many did you listen to?
It would take too long to try to list them all. It wouldn't mean anything in any case. Anyone can make up a list. I'll just say it's enough to have stopped believing one costing more than the next guarantees it sounds better.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
According to who? The loaded RMAA test results that I've found and my ears say there isn't enough difference to conclusively say 4.0 is better than the 3.6. I've spent a lot of time with both and can't hear a difference when I've matched the volumes and listened.

Nothing personal but unless you have something different than that I'd think it best to take what you've said with a massive grain of salt. It's those type statements that have people on a quest for a better sounding players when the only real difference is that someone has said there's a difference that may or may not actually exist.
Its just my opinion. I didnt even know there were tests for audio. I apologize for any misinformed opinion I have presented to the forum.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. There's been a number of times well known reviewers have said they heard differences between DAPs that were putting out signals so close to each other that it's impossibly likely the differences they heard were real. That's why I made sure to let you know it's nothing personal.

Electronic testing isn't the be all-end all of judging sound quality but properly done it can point out potential audible deficiencies. Combined with properly done volume matched listening, electronic testing can give you a good idea if there's a real difference.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 PM

I have all 4 sgp's including 2 of the 4's and 2 5's, 6 players all together (don't ask why) and the 4 as always just sounded a littke better to me... just saying.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 AM

I bought Galaxy S 3.6 for 35$ in very well condition

And first impression of sound - this DAP isn't sound for me so good as clip+.
It is warm DAP , with very nice soundstage (it depends from headphones which i plug in), very detailed but it's warm i do not like it. But waitit is only first impression, i will give this DAP 1-2 weeks, and i will find some sound drivers to it.

Voodoo sound from Android Market doesn't work. It says "sorry, this device deosn't run a kernel supporting extended sound controls" - Has this SGS 3.6 Wolfson dac?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Voodoo sound and Viper4Android require the player be rooted.
Quote:
This app controls Voodoo sound for Galaxy S, Nexus S phones Galaxy Tab and Asus Transformer running custom kernels implementing Voodoo patches.
If you don't want or cannot flash a kernel, my commercial app "Voodoo Sound Plus" has the ability to load Voodoo Sound with only root on compatible devices.

Formely known as "Voodoo Control"

Root is required.
How to do that and more info on the hardware is here.

What does "warm" mean? I've heard it associated with a type of distortion that some speakers or headphones might have when they roll off in the treble frequencies. I can't see how that could apply to a digital audio signal unless aren't being reproduced properly. The test results I've seen and what I've heard when I've listened to the SGP 3.6 don't make me think it has a "warm" distortion of the type you seem to be saying it does.

How did you perform your volume matching between the SGP 3.6 and the Clip+? Small differences in volume levels can make on source sound better than the next. Did you do anything to make sure you didn't know which source you were hearing when you were trying them both? The mind makes use of knowing which source is which when deciding a preference.

I'd consider making sure those two factors are controlled the bare minimum in being able to say which you prefer and having that mean something to someone else besides you. If you don't what's needed to make a apples to apples comparison I'd think you're doing the same as the other people you say claim they can easily distinguish between DAPS that should sound alike.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 PM

I will try this 2 soon.

I didn't compare galaxy s with clip+ because my clip+ is broken. That is why i came here for advice

Warm means more bas then other frequences. Not roll off on the top.