android
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 AM

Default playlist sync using MediaMonkey and windows 8

I use MM to sync my S series walkman.

the sync process ends successfuly but it seems that walkman doesn't recognize the playlists.
when I access the playlist nothing shows up (accessing playlist folder in explorer shows the playlists)

windows 8
MediaMonkey 4.07.1511
windows media player 12.0.9200 is installed
created playlists are m3u

any kind of help is much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Download Sony's MediaGo program and the playlists sync perfectly. I would know, as I just used it yesterday to sync my Sony S639. MM was giving me too many probs, including syncing my playlists but containing no songs in them. MM has to go,...

Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Could you share your settings in MM? I've never been able to get MediaMonkey to send a .m3u playlist to a device that was connected in MTP. I'm wondering if that has changed with Win8. The MediaMonkey changelog shows 4.07.1511 as a fix for Win8 and several Android devices so I'm wondering if there may still be some issues.

Which S model was it? There's changes to some Sony models that don't allow them to handle protected content any more so if it's one of the newest models that may be an issue for the future.

Was MM seeing the player as a drive or a MTP device? Had Win 8 installed the drivers needed for the Sony to be seen as a MTP device? If those weren't installed then it seems possible MM would have seen the Sony as a drive and sent a .m3u instead of the .pla format Sonys have used in the past.

BTW, I've changed your thread title to something that will be searchable for the next person that might be looking for help with this. "playlist sync" wouldn't have been much help to them.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've never had a problem sending playlists to any device via MM using MTP until this new version came out. I switched back to MediaGo because Sony also updated it to show my iTunes playlists, and sync them flawlessly. I even used MediaGo with my Nokia Lumia 920 - go figure. :-/

Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I've never had a problem sending playlists to any device via MM using MTP until this new version came out. I switched back to MediaGo because Sony also updated it to show my iTunes playlists, and sync them flawlessly. I even used MediaGo with my Nokia Lumia 920 - go figure. :-/
You don't need to export them? Being able to use your iTunes playlists without having to export seems like a handy feature. Nice way to keep your collection synced across multiple devices without having to use a bunch of different software.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You don't need to export them? Being able to use your iTunes playlists without having to export seems like a handy feature. Nice way to keep your collection synced across multiple devices without having to use a bunch of different software.
Yup, no more exporting the playlists from iTunes. I'm as surprised as you are,...and happily so. Sony is sloooooooooolllllyyyyyy coming along. About time,...

Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Download Sony's MediaGo program and the playlists sync perfectly. I would know, as I just used it yesterday to sync my Sony S639. MM was giving me too many probs, including syncing my playlists but containing no songs in them. MM has to go,...
I prefer to use MM as far as possible because of it's ease of correcting ID3 tags. Using another player would be my last choice.

Anyhow thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Welcome to ABi

Could you share your settings in MM? I've never been able to get MediaMonkey to send a .m3u playlist to a device that was connected in MTP. I'm wondering if that has changed with Win8. The MediaMonkey changelog shows 4.07.1511 as a fix for Win8 and several Android devices so I'm wondering if there may still be some issues.

Which S model was it? There's changes to some Sony models that don't allow them to handle protected content any more so if it's one of the newest models that may be an issue for the future.

Was MM seeing the player as a drive or a MTP device? Had Win 8 installed the drivers needed for the Sony to be seen as a MTP device? If those weren't installed then it seems possible MM would have seen the Sony as a drive and sent a .m3u instead of the .pla format Sonys have used in the past.

BTW, I've changed your thread title to something that will be searchable for the next person that might be looking for help with this. "playlist sync" wouldn't have been much help to them.
As I explained above, my walkman doesn't show any playlists. But if I browse to playlist folders the playlists are there.
I tried to export MM settings to attach it here, But I couldn't find how to do it.

I'm using NW-S774 by the way.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, good luck then, because MM seems to not work correctly with a Sony Walkman. It doesn't work well with a few of my players. MediaGo does,...