android
Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM

Default Please I need some opinion :)

Hello! I use my phone to listen to music everywhere, but I have got this little mp3 (T10) and I usually use it to put in on partys with big speakers. But I have just lost my usb cable, so I no longer can use it...

I am about to buy a new one in internet, but first I want to have some advices, does it worth it, or should I buy a newer mp3? What do you think about sound quality? I only want to know about sound quality, I dont mind about software or whatever....

This player is a bit obsolete, but I cant compare sound quality with other newer devices, because I have not got any xD

So please, do you think other mp3 device will sound better on partys, or should I buy a cheap cable and go on with T10?

Thank you!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-01-2013, 06:44 AM

Default Still very good player

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperiaS View Post
Hello! I use my phone to listen to music everywhere, but I have got this little mp3 (T10) and I usually use it to put in on partys with big speakers. But I have just lost my usb cable, so I no longer can use it...
Yes, damn those custom connectors - but you can get cables for less than 5 , so I'd still consider that a real option.

Quote:
I am about to buy a new one in internet, but first I want to have some advices, does it worth it, or should I buy a newer mp3?
Getting a new T10? Sure - if you can get one, you'll have two, as you can then use the cable to load the old one - double the capacity, double the runtime, double the fun :-)
Of course depends on the price/whether you can actually get one.
If you're really only using mp3, then you're missing the best features of the T10 anyway..

Quote:
What do you think about sound quality? I only want to know about sound quality, I dont mind about software or whatever....
I personally find its sound quality to be really good, also the headphones it comes with are surprisingly good (I especially like the Studio setting).
And important for you, as you connect it to big speakers: you can crank up the volume bypassing the "safe for your ears limit" (if you configured it accordingly) - not sure whether that's possible to the same extent with all newer players. So you might check output levels (and whether the player then distorts the sound). Also good that the limit is enforced on a reboot, so you don't risk blowing your head off when you forgot to turn down the volume after the party :-)

Quote:
This player is a bit obsolete, but I cant compare sound quality with other newer devices, because I have not got any xD
The only thing I'd really consider obsolete is its video support (only xvid or wma - that sucks), and the rather small screen. On the other hand, the screen is really good. The player supports ogg, it supports aac (although it is very picky with aac, and you can frequently run into hangs where it gives a peeping sound but doesn't react anymore. Make sure to have a paper-clip with you to push the reset button when you have stuff you didn't encode yourself :-)

Quote:
So please, do you think other mp3 device will sound better on partys, or should I buy a cheap cable and go on with T10?
No advice on other players really, only that I'd not want my smartphone to be used as jukebox on a party, so a dedicated not-so-expensive player makes ton of sense. The T10 still is great. Its battery capacity still is remarkably good, the screen still is bright with no bad pixels, you can connect it to modern car-stereos via bluetooth or aux-in, you can connect your phone with it, you can carry photos of your family around.
With Korean firmware it is a plain USB mass-storage-device, you can hook it up to any system and sync your files.
Latest firmware fixed the annoyances with shuffle mode (you can now jump back to the previously played tracks instead of another random one).

So my advice is:
Get a cheap cable or a cheap T10 if you can find it. It still is a really good player.
But just as you, I so much love my T10 that I didn't bother looking for alternatives really. The selling points for a new player would still be the same as for T10: * ogg support, * long battery life, * USB-Mass-Storage for easy file-transfer/no vendor lock-in to whatever software they want me to use, * auto turnoff / sleep mode, * good shuffle mode, * reasonable navigation. FM tuner is nice for news/events, textfile viewer also nice (although only used sporadically.

When it comes to video, I'd love the player to support h264, also in larger resolutions than the screen-size (so I don't have to reconvert everything to be able to play back on the T10) - but OTOH, for that I'd probably buy a smartphone with a bigger screen. The T10 has a great form-factor in my opinion. Screen big-enough, but still whole device small enough to put in every pocket.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM

Thank you very much !! You have helped me to realize how good is this device

Well, the thing is I have just found the f**king cable!
Hehehe so no more doubts, I will still using it. Btw what do you mean with cranking up the volume limit? (I have not read any of that in this site)

On the other hand, Im using the last EU firmware. With the Korean firm you say I could make T10 as a mass storage device? (I have read some of that...The "UMS" If Im not wrong) Is this the only advantage? At the moment I use the PC to transfer music, and no problem. Maybe in the future I will consider that, so I could use even the phone to manage folders and music in T10

Old 03-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperiaS View Post
Thank you very much !! You have helped me to realize how good is this device
Hehe :-)
And congratulations for finding the cable, that of course also makes decision a lot easier :-)

With the volume I mean that you can volume up to level 30 - the limit at 15 is a "soft" limit, that is only enforced when turning on the device. But when it is running, it is your choice to increase the volume to the device's real maximum (and not to a software defined maximum). This is needed when connecting it to a line-in, as it doesn't have a real line-out, just a headphone out.
In EU and especially in France mp3 players must have a limit to protect the listener from too loud music. And some players make it harder to bypass that limit than others. One have a switch, others need to be jailbreaked/need modifications to the firmware.

Quote:
On the other hand, Im using the last EU firmware. With the Korean firm you say I could make T10 as a mass storage device? (I have read some of that...The "UMS" If Im not wrong) Is this the only advantage?
MSC Mass storage class = UMS USB Mass storage, so yes, that is meant. And it is not the only advantage. The Korean firmware properly handles track information from ogg files, something that the EU firmware failed to do. Also the korean firmware supports lyrics display (but I only tested it out once for fun - but at least I could confirm it works).

But it also has a drawback: RDS doesn't work. (FM station identification / other RDS text is not displayed, but FM itself still works just fine). And of course you cannot play your DRM-protected tracks anymore, in case you're locked-in to that.

So if you're happy with the EU firmware, there is no real need to use korean/MSC firmware. But if you happen to listen to lots of ogg tracks, the "id3" support is killerargument for switching. If you only have mp3, then there's no real difference.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:20 AM

Ok, then I will stay with EU because I dont need any of these feaures. So Its ok, no more questions so far

Thank you very much