android
Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Question Fuze+ Buying Guide - Advice?

I'm a long-time Fuze devotee who is considering moving to a Fuze+. I intend to run Rockbox on it.

Does the Plus have different versions, as did the original Fuze (V1, V2)? Also, I have purchased refurbished Fuze units in the past... what are your thoughts about a refurbished Plus?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't buy one, Rockbox or not, to be honest. If I hadn't gotten mine for essentially nothing, I wouldn't have one at all...lol.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Why not? Others herein LOVE their F+ with RB. Do you prefer your Clip Zip?

8GB just isn't enough storage for me, and now my primary Fuze won't boot to RB with either the 32 or 64 GB card inserted. This is with the-called "stable" RB build, as well as several of the more current (including today's) development builds.

This is where I'd really like to make the leap to something engineered from the get-go for today's huge uSC cards, like the Astell & Kerns. But I'm in agreement with Skip and others regarding the ridiculous pricing and iRiver's attempt to cater to snob appeal instead of real users.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Administrator

As long you're planning to Rockbox it I'd get one. There was a recent hiccup caused by certain themes but it seems that fixing those revealed other problems that have also been fixed. I haven't had time to fully test it but what I've checked so far indicates a fair amount of improvement over what was not bad at all before.

My thoughts on manufacturer refurbs are here. That's what I learned from dealing several hundred of them. As long as it's a manufacturer refurb from a reputable vendor with a decent return policy I'd say go for it.

I got mine from this vendor. They handled the transaction just the way I would have. Shipping was the same day. I received a tracking number as soon as it shipped and received the Fuze+ in immaculate condition a couple of days later. Except for the issues caused by the bug in Rockbox that have been fixed it's given me 100% of what I think it should.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdriver View Post
Why not? Others herein LOVE their F+ with RB. Do you prefer your Clip Zip?
I do prefer the Clip Zip. It does exactly what I want it to do, when I want it to do so. Never have to backtrack because I scrolled too far in a menu, etc. Sure, the F+ has a bigger screen and more battery life, but I still prefer the actual buttons of the Clip Zip.

As a secondary player, to be used as a stationary source that you don't need to interact with very often, the F+ works just fine...but the more I have to interact with it, the less likely I am to keep using it. And since I have several working devices I like better, it will sit on the desk until such time as I may need it.
Quote:
8GB just isn't enough storage for me, and now my primary Fuze won't boot to RB with either the 32 or 64 GB card inserted. This is with the-called "stable" RB build, as well as several of the more current (including today's) development builds.

This is where I'd really like to make the leap to something engineered from the get-go for today's huge uSC cards, like the Astell & Kerns. But I'm in agreement with Skip and others regarding the ridiculous pricing and iRiver's attempt to cater to snob appeal instead of real users.
I used one of my Zips for quite a while with a 32GB card in it and it worked very well. I did not try my 64GB card in it, because I always intended the card for one or the other Android device so no FAT32 reformatting was necessary.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 AM

Thanks very much for the info, guys. At $22, I can afford to experiment with the refurbed Fuze+ from the vendor Skip recommended. I do not access the UI very often, as I don't tend to playback individual songs. Typically I only run very large playlists.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks very much for the info, guys. At $22, I can afford to experiment with the refurbed Fuze+ from the vendor Skip recommended. I do not access the UI very often, as I don't tend to playback individual songs. Typically I only run very large playlists.
It might work well for you then. I was only using it to shuffle a list of about 400 songs, occasionally skipping a track, and for that it was OK.