android
Old 08-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Question 64GB microsdxc?

Has anyone tried using a 64GB microsdxc with their Fuze?

(Mine is a series 2 unit.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Administrator

64GB microsdxc cards formatted to FAT32 have been used in other sandisk players like the Clip+. They should work in a Fuze.

The one limitation you may run into is that the sandisk firmware will only recognize ~8000 files. That depends on the complexity of your file/folder layout. If your folders system has a number of levels or is very complex it will drop the number of files recognized.

That limitation goes away if you're using Rockbox. saratoga says that the limit then is the how many files can be created in a FAT32 file system that size.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
64GB microsdxc cards formatted to FAT32 have been used in other sandisk players like the Clip+. They should work in a Fuze.

The one limitation you may run into is that the sandisk firmware will only recognize ~8000 files. That depends on the complexity of your file/folder layout. If your folders system has a number of levels or is very complex it will drop the number of files recognized.

That limitation goes away if you're using Rockbox. saratoga says that the limit then is the how many files can be created in a FAT32 file system that size.
Can you please tell me if class matters to the Fuze Player (I have an OF player, not yet interested in rockbox...but since i want to have around 5 000 tracks per 30 GB, would you recommend to?)

Also, which class is ok for the Fuze? I understand class 10 is good, but not necessarily needed?

Last edited by a1shot; 09-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 PM

What do you mean by "class"?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

You can find the definition for SD card speed class here https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/. Essentially it's the speed the card records (video)data. The higher the class the faster the data should transfer.

The speed of everything that occurs on the player is slower than the slowest card so any class card works well there. When it comes to file transfer speed the limit is that of the internal memory of the player. In my experience that maxes out at around 4 Mbps. If you use a card reader that usually will let you transfer files quicker.

Most complaints I've read of cards not working have involved Class 10 non-sandisk cards on the Fuze and other sandisk players. I've never spent the extra to get a Class 10 card so I haven't run into any card that hasn't worked.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
You can find the definition for SD card speed class here https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/. Essentially it's the speed the card records (video)data. The higher the class the faster the data should transfer.

The speed of everything that occurs on the player is slower than the slowest card so any class card works well there. When it comes to file transfer speed the limit is that of the internal memory of the player. In my experience that maxes out at around 4 Mbps. If you use a card reader that usually will let you transfer files quicker.

Most complaints I've read of cards not working have involved Class 10 non-sandisk cards on the Fuze and other sandisk players. I've never spent the extra to get a Class 10 card so I haven't run into any card that hasn't worked.
Perfect comment! I almost bought a class 10 Samsung card..and some force postponed the purchase. Now a question - does it really make a difference if it is a Sansa or not-Sansa card (Samsung/kingston/transcend)? I thought it is the same filling since the card is a standard type that should work everywhere..or doesn't it work this way? +Class 4 is cheaper anyway

Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have had success using Kingston 8GB and 16GB class 4 cards in my Clip+ and Fuze. I noticed bad reviews of the Kingston 32GB class 4 microSDHC cards on Amazon, citing incompatability issues with certain devices(i didn't see Sandisk players specifically mentioned though). The Transcend 32GB class 4 cards received good reviews on Amazon as did the 32GB Sandisk class 4 microSDHC cards, although I would avoid any bulk packaged cards and buy only retail packaged cards. In the past I avoided Sandisk cards due to high pricing, but now Sandisk cards are often very close in price to other brands.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Administrator

It was my long time understanding that the maker shouldn't make a difference. However since one of the Clip Zip firmware updates specifically addressed an incompatibility with certain cards, release notes here, it seems some cards can be treated differently.

My personal experience has been that the maker hasn't made a difference. I have cards from most makers and haven't seen a reliability or performance difference difference aside from the ones expected due to class rating. Whatever was fixed in that firmware update didn't make a difference to me. I never had any problems with cards from any maker. That includes everything from bulk packaged no names to sandisk branded cards.

BTW, class rating designates minimum speed. A card can read at a higher speed than the rating, it just cant read at a slower speed than it's class rating. I have several cards with no class rating printed on them. That means they're rated as class 2. Some of those read as fast as a class 6 card.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
It was my long time understanding that the maker shouldn't make a difference. However since one of the Clip Zip firmware updates specifically addressed an incompatibility with certain cards, release notes here, it seems some cards can be treated differently.
But if it is a firmware question, how will this be affected if i rockbox it? I actually want to get a somewhat original 32GB Samsung (not bulk or empty printed) card, class 10 MicroSDHC. Although i can use it for other appliances (with regards that they will also work with a class 10 SDHC..which may be a problem if the items are older than SDHC technology in general), i was thinking indeed that class 10 would be used faster for getting files on to it. Would you in my place get that one (btw it is on sale for 40USD now...for where i am it is cheaper than usual). Or would it be safer to get a Sansa class 4 card?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1shot View Post
But if it is a firmware question, how will this be affected if i rockbox it? I actually want to get a somewhat original 32GB Samsung (not bulk or empty printed) card, class 10 MicroSDHC. Although i can use it for other appliances (with regards that they will also work with a class 10 SDHC..which may be a problem if the items are older than SDHC technology in general), i was thinking indeed that class 10 would be used faster for getting files on to it. Would you in my place get that one (btw it is on sale for 40USD now...for where i am it is cheaper than usual). Or would it be safer to get a Sansa class 4 card?
The readers in the Sansa players are said to operate at Class 4 (I think that's what I read) speeds. So unless you will be loading (and then changing regularly) a lot of files using a card reader or adapter, then the extra cost of the Class 10 may not be worthwhile.

Steve

Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Rockbox is a replacement firmware. How the sandisk firmware addresses a card has nothing to do with how Rockbox deals with one. If you use the dual boot feature to use the OF (Original Firmware) is the only time that might be an issue.

The firmware update I linked was supposed to deal with any compatibility issues. I don't know if it did or didn't, I never had a problem with any of my cards in the limited time I used the OF.

As Steve points out the transfer speed while card is in the player is limited to the transfer speed of the internal memory. There won't be any advantage to a Class 10 card if you use the player as a reader to transfer files.

I would go with the card that has a proven track record. Any time saved transferring files by getting a card with a higher class rating would be lost again if the card doesn't work properly.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Question

Quote:

What about these file system warnings on Amazon's product page?
  • Reformat into file system other than exFAT may cause instability
  • Only compatible with SDXC enabled device in exFAT format per SD Standard

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdriver View Post
What about these file system warnings on Amazon's product page?
  • Reformat into file system other than exFAT may cause instability
  • Only compatible with SDXC enabled device in exFAT format per SD Standard
The moment Rockbox enters the discussion the manufacturer's recommendations go out the window. You asked if anyone has tried it. They have and it's worked.

The decision to void the warranty on both the player and the card is yours. Installing a non-standard firmware on the player and formatting the card against the manufacturers recommendation does that. Whether or not you want to do that is up to you.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM

Question

Back to my original question, please. Although I'm a old-school Windows geek who knows his way around low-level formatting hard disks, etc., this is proving to be a puzzler.

I have SD Formatter 3.1 from the SD Association, but the user guide is cryptic at best. The formatting tool recognizes the card as 59.4GB, but the [Option] choices are only Format Size Adjustment ON/OFF. And what's the FORMAT TYPE difference between between FULL (Erase) and FULL (Overwrite)?

If not the SD Formatter utility, then what are the specific instructions (known firsthand by you to yield the desired results) for formatting this card as FAT32?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Redneck Moderator

Could always do it via the cmd prompt. plug it into your usb port. Open your start menu and type "cmd" in the run or search box. Then type:
diskpart
list disk
select disk "x"
clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter="x"

After select disk you don't tyle the "x" you put in the letter of the drive your SD card is, without the quotations. Be very careful you don't select a different drive though, as this will clear any drive you have hooked up at the time if you select it.

And at assign letter you just put the letter you want your drive to be recognized as, no quotations.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM

This seems like a good idea, although the uSDHC is already formatted as exFAT. Therefore I'm wondering about the use of the QUICK switch. Why wouldn't I want to do this:

format fs=fat32

and not use the QUICK switch?

Also, for other readers I see that the syntax is actually:

format <drive letter> /FS:FAT32, also using a /Q switch if a quick format is in fact called for.

Oops! I didn't know about the DISKPART script stuff; see support.microsoft.com/kb/300415.

Last edited by jagdriver; 01-29-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Redneck Moderator

I'm not actually all that familiar with it, but thats how I always do it when I'm creating boot thumb drives and clearing old SSD's without TRIM. I'm not sure the difference from quick and no quick, other than it takes VERY long if you don't do quick. And I've used this method going from exfat to fat32, I used quick.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM

I used to be a M$ DOS beta tester and tech edited a portion of their DOS 6.2 user manual (sheesh... that was a LONG time ago!). Anyway, a QUICK format is chosen when a disk has been previously formatted; you cannot use this switch on a brand new, out-of-the-box disk. Not having any prior experience with exFAT, I was unaware that you could use QUICK to change from exFAT to FAT32. I suppose if its use gets rejected, I can always try again without the switch, with no harm being done. That's what I think this morning, that is.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Redneck Moderator

Oh I see. Yeah I've gone from exfat to fat32 with a quick format.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Our "geek squad" (generically used in this context) guy is here this AM and I just popped the question to him. He confirms that this is valid, so Rockbox here I come! I've just about filled my ~40GB Fuze, and am about to make a refurbished ~72GB Fuze my daily player!

[fingers crossed]