android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze+

Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Default new around....looking for enlightment! Is a Rockboxed Fuze+ a good choice?

hi all!
After along searching "around" and many different opinions (and this is where my eyes started popping out...)i decide to make a new thread too.
i had for a few months tha clip+and i was very happy with that little device but yesterday it had a little accident and now is out of order..
i dont have a lot of experience on players and the sansa clip+ is a reference point for me.
i liked a lot that with clip+ i could: plug and play,rockboxed,was very fast,i could play 24/96 files and yes in some tracks like hotel california that it was vinyl ripped it was audible even with blind test(and i was very proud when i was showing the screen of clip on a ipod guy with 96khz on it..lol),iwas very satisfied with the SQ,the clear and no hiss sound and the output power.
unfortunatelly here in greece sandisk's player r not popular and the r not in our market,so i look for it in some foreign site but i notice that while i had bought it 40 euros now it costs more than 70 euros and the newer model like fuze+ i can find it almost at the same price
can fuze+ give all the above (even if rockbox or not )that clip+ gave me(and i have to say that the noise of "click" from the buttons of clip+ wasn t so good especially at night)i was thinking since they r at the same price,to buy the fuze+ even that they r not everybody so enthusiasm with fuze+ as they were with clip+
so since it covers my needs(above)i intend to buy it
is there someone who has checked it and pleaseeeee enlight me too...
thanks a lot anyway!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

That single run on sentence of yours is extremely difficult to read. I understand that English may not be your first language but you may want to edit that so that anyone looking at it can make sense of what it is you want to know.

You seem to be asking if a Rockboxed Fuze+ performs at the same level as the Rockboxed Clip+. The answer that I get from looking at the Wiki http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaFuzePlusPort and the Rockbox New Port thread for the Fuze+ http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,26284.0.html is "not yet". I see work being done to correct the outstanding issues but there still seems more that needs to be done to bring it to the level of the Clip+ port.

BTW, upconverting vinyl rips to higher bit and sample rates to play them on a Rockboxed player is useless. Rockbox plays everything at 16/44.1. It does that using linear interpolation that isn't very good. You may like how it sounds but most likely it's audibly worse than if you simply left the rates as is.

If you're buying high bitrate/sample rate FLACs it's best to downsample them properly on the PC during conversion. The Converter component in foobar2000 can do that for you. That way you can won't lose audio quality using the Rockbox resampler.

Last edited by skip252; 11-30-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM

thanks alot for yr quick response is just that i have used some things with clip+ and now that i m looking for new palyer(dap) i want the new device to be near with the old one.thats a reason that i stucked with fuze+.By the way any other suggestions that i could look for?
thanks again

Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Clip+ was replaced by the Clip Zip; however, the Clip+ seems to be still available many places. The Fuze+ is generally considered an inferior product.

I don't know about shipping, customs etc to Greece, but the Clip products seem to be available from the UK.

Steve

Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Administrator

If what you're looking for is a player to Rockbox I'd get another Clip+ or a Clip Zip. The Clip Zip port is marked as Unstable but that's only due to some issues with the manual afaik. I have no problems in everyday use.

The larger screen and it's ability to display album art is a nice upgrade. I don't use the FM radio much but it has RDS capability in the Clip Zip. If the stations around you broadcast that information it makes it a lot easier to know not just what station is tuned but what song is being played. I've discovered a couple of new artists that way.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 AM

The Rockboxed Fuze+ is not perfect but I like mine a lot. I would never recommend this player without Rockbox though, the original firmware is awful. I posted a review on the general discussion board, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 PM

thanks a lot guys u help me a lot.
Skip 252 yr links was very helpfull so to understand some things but as for the 16/44 and 24/96 i agree that rockbox plays everything at 16/44 but the difference was audible with the specific song of Eagles i suppose i might found a bad recording of 16/44.
but i have to say that its very "beautifull" to see on yr screen "96khz" (even its fake)while much more expensive players cant..lol
Roboturner913 while u own it and u use it,i saw some videos of fuze+ on youtube with and without rockbox.the difference was huge.with rockbox seems to be very fast and stable with its function at least for the few moments that the video was showing it.is there any serious problem that u have faced while u rockboxed it?
well as i said i owned the sansa clip+ which was very stable and i like it a lot,despite the the noise of its buttons especially at nights(click,click) and the small screen which in some cases was a little tiring for me, i was thinking while the cost of clip+ and fuze+(16gb) is about 20-30 euros to buy the fuze+.is there any difference in SQ or hiss noise while they have different processor?
thanks for once again guys!
keep on the good work so to "enlight" us all!!!

Last edited by nektarios; 11-30-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektarios View Post
Roboturner913 while u own it and u use it,i saw some videos of fuze+ on youtube with and without rockbox.the difference was huge.with rockbox seems to be very fast and stable with its function at least for the few moments that the video was showing it.is there any serious problem that u have faced while u rockboxed it?
well as i said i owned the sansa clip+ which was very stable and i like it a lot,despite the the noise of its buttons especially at nights(click,click) and the small screen which in some cases was a little tiring for me, i was thinking while the cost of clip+ and fuze+(16gb) is about 20-30 euros to buy the fuze+.is there any difference in SQ or hiss noise while they have different processor?
thanks for once again guys!
keep on the good work so to "enlight" us all!!!
While I don't have a Clip+ I find no difference between the SQ of the Clip Zip and that and the Fuze+ so I wouldn't worry about that.

The main reason anybody would probably consider the Fuze+ over either of the Clips is because of the bigger screen. I like to have big album art, create Rockbox themes, maybe watch a video or two on occasion, etc. If you don't care about that stuff, then go with the Clip+ or Clip Zip.

I haven't had any major malfunctions with Rockbox, there are some minor annoyances since they're still in development but no big deal. With certain themes, the screen flickers a little bit when the player accesses the memory. Every once in a while the touchpad goes bonkers and either won't respond or goes super fast. That's happened maybe 3 times over a span of 3 weeks using it.