android
Old 03-10-2013, 05:11 AM

By the way, @BruceBanner, I recently posted a comparison list of the C2 and D20 on iaudiophile.net. Here is it:

Quote:
(C2 vs D20)

Dimensions: 78.7 x 53 x 12,8 mm, 84g vs. 78 x 55.4 x 16.6 mm, 86g -> D20 is larger (fatter) and heavier (2g)
Memory (int.+ext.): 16gb+32gb vs. 32gb+32gb -> D20 supports more memory
Display: 2.6" LCD @ 320x240 vs. 2.5" LCD @ 320x240 -> D20's display is slightly smaller
Memory expansion: microSDHC vs. SDHC
Battery: 55h music / 10h video vs. 90h music / 13h video -> D20's battery is better

Those are the differences I spotted, the other specs are about the same on both players.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizune View Post
Yeah, as a music player the D20 is pretty nice IMO due to 90h battery life and BBE+. The screen resolution and screen size don't matter here because, again, it is a music player, and it should not be compared with smartphones or PMPs like the J3. Videos capabilities are a bonus feature.
This is exactly how I feel about the X9. I have no interest in putting any video, pictures, or flash games on it, I only use it as a music player that never runs out of battery power.
Quote:
Only concerns I have so far:
- SDHC instead of SDXC (32+32=64gb vs. 32+128=160gb max capacity)
- Bad UI (but at least the community will fix it for Cowon... as usual)
- Is the touch screen resistive or capacitive?

But all in all it might become my J3's successor when it breaks.
That would be the only thing I'd change on the X9, I wish it was capacitive, but as it is, I haven't had any trouble with the resistive screen.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Im really not seeing much fuss over this tbh. As a C2 owner I picked up a new one for $100USD. I only got a 4gb but with the 32 gb microsd card I had lying around it suffices for my needs well enough.
I get plenty battery life from my 55hr anyway, 90hrs im not sure is something i really need (overkill?).

Without checking the specs thoroughly i'm guessing the C2 is also slightly lighter and a teeny bit smaller (at least that's what i found when comparing my C2 to mrs banners old D2).

My advice is this; if the D20 intrigues people then maybe now's a good time to question why. Do you really need the 90hr battery life, do u really need 32gb internal or will 4-16 suffice? Because if the ebay link (supplied by TDS) is to be trusted its going to be quite an expensive DAP for what is really old tech.
Hmmm $100 for a 4gb C2 vs $265 for a 32gb D20... big difference.
I've stated before, the C2 is prolly Cowon's BEST value player to date.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
By the way, @BruceBanner, I recently posted a comparison list of the C2 and D20 on iaudiophile.net. Here is it:
"Memory (int.+ext.): 16gb+32gb vs. 32gb+32gb -> D20 supports more memory"

But people have been able to successfully run a 64gb card on the C2 also. So with my 4gb $100 C2 and a extra $60 for the card I have MORE space at a lower price point still... But yeh the old file limiation factor will still apply on both units.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The D20 is only priced so high in that link because it's an import, and it's a way to get it before anyone else. The 32gb model should be under $200,...I'm hoping under $175.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM

If you can format a 128 or 256gb SDXC to FAT32 and be recognized by the D20 then we might be ok. My issue with the J3 is the nothing bigger than a 64gb microsd.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

But Panteraman you will still be hit with a 10,000 max file recognition (likely), going anywhere past 64gb with the C2,D20 is possibly quite pointless.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteraman View Post
If you can format a 128 or 256gb SDXC to FAT32 and be recognized by the D20 then we might be ok. My issue with the J3 is the nothing bigger than a 64gb microsd.
That's not a J3 problem. It's a microsd (and most everyone's adoption of them) problem.

BB makes a good point about file limits though.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
That's not a J3 problem. It's a microsd (and most everyone's adoption of them) problem.

BB makes a good point about file limits though.

Yes, the card is the problem, that's what I meant. I use flac so maybe the file limit isn't such an issue.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Samsung Moderator

Some people complained about the lack of news on the front page.
Here you are

Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Here you are
At least it's news,...this site is dying,...

Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Here you are
Woohoo! I got the first comment!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's quite a crushing news report lol.
My take is this;
Whilst its not anything new it will still be a great DAP. 32gb internal with the possibility of a correctly formatted 64gb card could mean a 96gb DAP, and whilst you might encounter maximum file limitations (unconfirmed yet), those with a Flac collection will be happy. Either way a compact player 90hr battery life, 64gb memory, BBE + JetEffect 5 is nothing to be sniggered about.
The UI can already be circumnavigated, i repeat already, we don't have to wait for developers, just use the existing custom UI that exists for the C2.

And I wish people would stop critisising the player for having a resistive screen. I'm pretty sure it helps preserve battery life (over capacitive), and on a device this size capacitive is overkill. I for one would prefer resistive and a lower price point over capacitive and higher price tag. As a C2 owner i have little problems using the players touch screen.

My only point is a similar player to this already exists, it's called the C2, compare the two carefully before buying.
FWIW the C2 is my favorite DAP I have used so far.

Edit: I got 2nd comment lol

Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
FWIW the C2 is my favorite DAP I have used so far.
...and for me it is one of the worst players I have ever used and reviewed, along with Samsung YP-CP3 and Creative Zen X-FI 2.
Owning more than 65 mp3 players, that's definitely not a good point for it

Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM

For them to bring this out at all they must think there are people who would want to buy, and are not put off by a resistive low-res screen. Certainly no-one would want to watch video on this DAP. You might as well listen to FLAC files on this, the battery is so good and you wouldn't run into the file limit.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Samsung Moderator

I rather think they have no Marketing department and have not conducted any Market research for 2 years. I'm not even sure they wondered if someone would buy it.
They just develop the product, release it and see what happens.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
And I wish people would stop critisising the player for having a resistive screen. I'm pretty sure it helps preserve battery life (over capacitive), and on a device this size capacitive is overkill. I for one would prefer resistive and a lower price point over capacitive and higher price tag. As a C2 owner i have little problems using the players touch screen.
Gotta disagree here. On a device with this kind of battery life, I'd much rather have a capacitive screen, even if it meant losing a few hours. Sure, 7 times out of 10, my input on the X9 (or the D2 I used to have) is accepted, but the other 3 times are annoying, especially if it's something near the edge of the screen you're trying to access.

If it was my only touchscreen player I'd probably not ever think about it, but I also have the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 and Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus with capacitive screens.

Fortunately, with the X9, now that I have my custom sound settings saved, I am selecting an album, and then pushing the first track to start playback....after that, I can pause/resume or skip forward/backward with the side controls. If it didn't have the side controls I would probably be more bothered by the resistive screen.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
...and for me it is one of the worst players I have ever used and reviewed, along with Samsung YP-CP3 and Creative Zen X-FI 2.
Owning more than 65 mp3 players, that's definitely not a good point for it
I did say in my review of the C2 that the availability of custom UI saved this device from being bloody awful, so i can kinda see where yer coming from. And i know, its not really fair to praise a product so highly when its the developing community that saved it, but then again they must have seen something worth saving to spend that effort in the first place. It's akin to RockBox (with the exception that Sansa stock is usually quite good on its own).

Quote:
I rather think they have no Marketing department and have not conducted any Market research for 2 years. I'm not even sure they wondered if someone would buy it.
They just develop the product, release it and see what happens.
Yeh i agree, i think they're just mix 'n matching stock they currently have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Gotta disagree here. On a device with this kind of battery life, I'd much rather have a capacitive screen, even if it meant losing a few hours. Sure, 7 times out of 10, my input on the X9 (or the D2 I used to have) is accepted, but the other 3 times are annoying, especially if it's something near the edge of the screen you're trying to access.

If it was my only touchscreen player I'd probably not ever think about it, but I also have the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 and Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus with capacitive screens.

Fortunately, with the X9, now that I have my custom sound settings saved, I am selecting an album, and then pushing the first track to start playback....after that, I can pause/resume or skip forward/backward with the side controls. If it didn't have the side controls I would probably be more bothered by the resistive screen.
Ok u make a fair point, would be nice to compare both varieties to see how much better capacitive would be, i'm just not sure it warrants the extra price tag or lack of battery life. Like you i use the touch screen to set myself up and then use side controls almost exclusively for the rest of the day. But in reality its not a pain at all, I could find other things to moan about the C2 before talking about the touch screen (such as the weight of the device, thickness etc).

PS: I have a Galaxy S2 also so use capacitive on a regular basis so i'm aware of the differences and superiority of cap vs res.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM

The main problem IMO is that the D20's role overlaps with the C2 (same interface, similar form). I would imagine this to be a hard sell if Cowon doesn't come up with more to differentiate the two.

If they had time to upgrade the battery and CPU, why not other components like the screen?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
The main problem IMO is that the D20's role overlaps with the C2 (same interface, similar form). I would imagine this to be a hard sell if Cowon doesn't come up with more to differentiate the two.

If they had time to upgrade the battery and CPU, why not other components like the screen?
Yeh agreed, I stated earlier anyone interested in this shouldn't therefore overlook the C2, it (c2) might suit their purposes at a reduced price point (compared to 'new' D20).
A different UI, higher res screen, this might have been intriguing. But its not all bad... I can imagine it fitting the bill for some specific users still...