android
Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I wish people would stop critisising the player for having a resistive screen. I'm pretty sure it helps preserve battery life (over capacitive), and on a device this size capacitive is
I'd imagine that the choice between capacitive and resistive has little to none impact on battery life. Unless someone can provide a reason to believe otherwise? Yes, capacitive is the more expensive technology, mainly due to royalty payments required for involved patents. Not cool, of course, but thats how it is... A resistive screen requires force to register the touch which means its much less useful for gestures like scrolling up/down a list. IMO this makes navigating the device so much less enjoyable. (I would not buy a device with a resistive screen.) Maybe the massive battery life finds its audience; however I must say my J3 already has an "infinite" battery life as I don't recall having to charge it even once since I bought it in 2011. Yes I occasionally hook it to a computer which obviously does charge the battery but I would do that anyway so it doesn't count

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Capacitive just means the least expensive option, so Cowon can reap the most profits. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 03-11-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el maco View Post
A resistive screen requires force to register the touch which means its much less useful for gestures like scrolling up/down a list. IMO this makes navigating the device so much less enjoyable. (I would not buy a device with a resistive screen.)
Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be better with a capacitive screen but then the device could benefit from alot of other things that I think matter more. In reality (and i use my C2 alot) it's really not that big a deal. I certainly would not let it stop me buying one.
But a resistive screen on say a Galaxy S2 would be a deal breaker, completely different devices, one requires constant fiddling, the other does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el maco View Post
Maybe the massive battery life finds its audience; however I must say my J3 already has an "infinite" battery life as I don't recall having to charge it even once since I bought it in 2011. Yes I occasionally hook it to a computer which obviously does charge the battery but I would do that anyway so it doesn't count
I know exactly what you mean. I connect my C2 to my pc twice a week for approximately 1hr tops each time (for adding music) and i have never needed to do a 'dedicated' charge since i bought it (a few months ago now). The 90hr battery life is again another feature that's prolly overkill. Granted many feel the sansa clip range is just that little tad too short, I'd have preferred the c2 to have 25-30hr audio (instead of 55) and half the weight...
The i9 was perfect size/weight ratio balance for me, just release 32gb storage and microsdcard storage and we'd have a real winner!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 PM

Well it's bound to be cheaper than buying a d2 on ebay since they are out of production and a full size sd slot for those who care. Also rockbox should get ported quickly. Anyone ever use the old d2? How good where the physical buttons on it?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I had a D2, buttons were fine. With rockbox u'll lose the BBE/Jet Effect (so why bother getting D2, might as well stick with FuzeV2 etc)

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I had a D2, buttons were fine. With rockbox u'll lose the BBE/Jet Effect (so why bother getting D2, might as well stick with FuzeV2 etc)
Well, here's one reason....the full size card slot. With Rockbox people can use a 128GB SDXC card in a D2. Try that in a Fuze....

Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So u saying that basically (theoretically) u could take a 32gb D20 + 128gb SDXC card = 160gb flash player with 90 hr battery life and all the perks that come with rockbox, and u get no file limitation?
Would u even need to wait for the rb port? doesn't it exist already for a d2?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So u saying that basically (theoretically) u could take a 32gb D20 + 128gb SDXC card = 160gb flash player with 90 hr battery life and all the perks that come with rockbox, and u get no file limitation?
Would u even need to wait for the rb port? doesn't it exist already for a d2?
There is a rockbox port for D2,yes.....but it's always been in that "advanced users only" category. Like the Rockbox installation has to be on the SD card and cannot go on the internal memory, or some such thing....so I would guess that it definitely would not work on the D20. I think mamamia88 is assuming something (a quick rockbox port for D20) that he/she should not....I think the D20 innards are more like the C2 than the D2, and I've never heard anything about a C2 port.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
yeah i could i have a fuze v2 already. it's just that i've had them break on me in the past and i'm always looking for new rockbox players that are still on the market and not the used market. it doesn't look like sansa is going to release a new player any time soon. the idea of having a rockboxed player wtih a full size sd slot is kind of appealing to me. i've had a few sansas break on me before but keep buying them because they are such good deals, but if something from another company came along with a good port of rockbox i would seriously consider grabbing one

Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Screw RB on this!!! I want it, and I'd ONLY change the UI with a custom 1.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Where's all the Rockbox talk coming from? You can't ever count on a Rockbox port unless you're the one willing to do the work. It's always possible someone with the time and skills will decide to tackle a port but I wouldn't make that any part of my decision to buy a device that hasn't been ported.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Samsung Moderator

Indeed.
You guys should come more often on the RB website, forum and IRC to learn how porting Rockbox to a device actually works. It's hard, takes much time and can only happen if a dev really wants to. It's not like you give them money to do it for you.

Reading your posts, it looks like you believe rockbox port comes from nowhere, like magic...

Old 03-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would never expect RB for this D20.

The D2 port, as long as it has been around....I looked at the status of it when I had a D2, and I decided I didn't feel confident attempting it. As far as I know, that port has kind of stalled.....so it's ludicrous to think that one would materialize out of the blue on the D20, just because it might look similar on the outside.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I personally think RB on a cowon is not desirable, those buying cowon often gravitate towards the BBE/Jet Effect (not all but many), and rb takes this away.
People need to understand there already IS a great choice for replaceable UI for the C2 (and therefore most likely compatible with D20).

Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I personally think RB on a cowon is not desirable, those buying cowon often gravitate towards the BBE/Jet Effect (not all but many), and rb takes this away.
People need to understand there already IS a great choice for replaceable UI for the C2 (and therefore most likely compatible with D20).
Ah from the post on the home page I just assumed they where recycling old d2 parts so a port shouldn't be hard. I just like rockbox and the reports of horrible ui and lack of podcast support scare me off cowon products.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Im an avid fan and user of sansa rb products, but even I grew a pair and bought a cowon product. Sit down for 30mins and u'll have yer head around any cowon ui, its really not that scary. The positives more than outweigh the negatives, and you have plenty of custom UI to choose from (that is easier to install than rb ever was).

Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sit down for 30mins and u'll have yer head around any cowon ui, its really not that scary.
That depends on how many of the features you expect to master. The stuff I access on a regular basis, I snap right through it......but if you asked me to, say, enable shuffle mode on my X9, it would take me a little bit to figure it out, because I never use it.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well i have learned both C2 and i9 UI, which are both famous for being incredibly unintuitive (which they are). But I have found that really all i have ever needed to do is sit down and play with the device (for about half an hour, and then regular use afterwards). The cowon manuals are dreadful anyway and far from comprehensive, lots of things they don't tell you exist but you'll never know till u tinker.
Android was no different, of course more intuitive than cowon, but there is still a steep learning curve with android if u want to maximise yer phone/player (to yer own specific needs). But u don't hear many people complaining about that. The deal is there is a learning curve but not impossible, just learn it, honestly why all the fuss and being a deal breaker etc is beyond me.

Where it gets tricky is leaving long absences between use. I am proficiently skilled in using the C2 (especially with custom UI) that its not an issue anymore, going back to i9 now would be harder as I will have forgotten most of it. This doesn't happen with RB of course as its more logical.

Where Cowon falls down is more feature related, but then no stock UI of any player (including sansa) can really compete with RB (we've all been spoilt).

Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Ah from the post on the home page I just assumed they where recycling old d2 parts so a port shouldn't be hard. I just like rockbox and the reports of horrible ui and lack of podcast support scare me off cowon products.
The CPU has been said to be upgraded and having the same other specs like for example the same 2.5" 320*240 touchscreen doesn't necessarily mean that the part is made by the same manufacturer using the same drivers. The same for the NAND, FM tuner, SD slot etc... we actually don't know so far. It can look the same for user but have different hardware parts inside requiring new RB code.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Where's all the Rockbox talk coming from? You can't ever count on a Rockbox port unless you're the one willing to do the work. It's always possible someone with the time and skills will decide to tackle a port but I wouldn't make that any part of my decision to buy a device that hasn't been ported.
Solid point and the same as with all other ports, but in the case of Cowon I wouldn't give up BBE sound enhancements as I like them. That said, this product is not for me.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc