android
Old 01-07-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Estimate battery time on YOUR X5.

I am just curious what average battery times you get on YOUR iAudio X5 (not X5L) player for audio play and on what settings (ex. bit rate, eq, filters)?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Offtopic: Heh, my X5L plays too long... I never know exactly how good in shape my battery still is (after 1.5 years of use). But it certainly still is over 25 hours with mostly LAME -V2 --vbr-new files, and some Oggs thrown in for good measure.

If you run Rockbox on your X5 or X5L, there's a battery benchmark plugin that shows you exactly what's going on with your battery.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Offtopic: Heh, my X5L plays too long... I never know exactly how good in shape my battery still is (after 1.5 years of use). But it certainly still is over 25 hours with mostly LAME -V2 --vbr-new files, and some Oggs thrown in for good measure.
If I could go back in time, I would have bought a X5L. Currently my player is getting fixed but when I had it running on 192k CBR Lame, MachBass 8 and BBS 5 and EQ on preset Rock I got about 7 hours. BTW does that sound low?

Old 01-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nud3EskimoNinja View Post
If I could go back in time, I would have bought a X5L. Currently my player is getting fixed but when I had it running on 192k CBR Lame, MachBass 8 and BBS 5 and EQ on preset Rock I got about 7 hours. BTW does that sound low?
7 Hours does sound a bit low.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURR View Post
7 Hours does sound a bit low.
Actually I got that with no EQ on. That was my first player. I'm going onto my third X5V now.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nud3EskimoNinja View Post
I'm going onto my third X5V now.
Because of a bad battery? Maybe you're doing something wrong... you shouldn't drain a Li-Ion battery completely all the time - the more often you recharge/top-off the battery, the better. Only once every month or every second month you should completely drain the battery, to recalibrate the "fuel gauge".

Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Because of a bad battery? Maybe you're doing something wrong... you shouldn't drain a Li-Ion battery completely all the time - the more often you recharge/top-off the battery, the better. Only once every month or every second month you should completely drain the battery, to recalibrate the "fuel gauge".
No I sent the first one in because of battery. The second was sent in because of the white screen. I'm waiting for my third. Here in Sweden it seems easier to send a new player then to repair it.

About the battery; I know. I topped-off the battery alot and have recalibrated. Before I sent the first one in, I did a test, letting it play continuously on minimal settings (sound and display) and got about 7 hours.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn, you're really unlucky, man...

Old 01-08-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Damn, you're really unlucky, man...
I know. I have some kind of electronic curse on me. On about 15 different occasions I've had to return an electronic thing for fixing just in the last year! Thank goodness for warrantees.

My luck seems to have turned though. I just got a call from the store and the third player they are shipping to me has been updated from a X5V to a X5. Which now will allow me to have a dual loader for both the original firmware and rockbox. Just hope the battery runs well.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:14 PM

hey DFKT,
how often do u charge your player in a week?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, congratulations on the X5 upgrade! Despite all the troubles, at least you seem to have bought your player from a nice store. The dual-bootloader is a god-send... both, the original FW and Rockbox have their advantages and disadvantages. But having both on the X5 makes it almost perfect.

Regarding the charging: I leave it plugged in all the time. It comes off the subpack only when I use it. And I try to run the battery dry about once a month.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Wow, congratulations on the X5 upgrade! Despite all the troubles, at least you seem to have bought your player from a nice store. The dual-bootloader is a god-send... both, the original FW and Rockbox have their advantages and disadvantages. But having both on the X5 makes it almost perfect.

Regarding the charging: I leave it plugged in all the time. It comes off the subpack only when I use it. And I try to run the battery dry about once a month.
You have a docking station? or just a sub-pack? Thinking of getting one.

According to consumer laws in Sweden (maybe within EU) if my player breaks down a third time I can get my money back.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No docking station... at least under EU law you're covered for 2 years under warranty, AFAIK.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
No docking station... at least under EU law you're covered for 2 years under warranty, AFAIK.
...unless stated clearly. Some stores sell creative and offer one year. Must be a loop hole. And apparently Ipods come with only one year also.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:29 PM

What do u think the battery burn difference would be between using 192k and 128k CBR Lame?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not very much, to be honest... you'd just be punishing your ears, using 128 CBR MP3.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Not very much, to be honest... you'd just be punishing your ears, using 128 CBR MP3.
Yeah I know. I only use VBR now. VBR Lame Standard Preset seems to be the best format for best battery time/quality/size ratio (for me anyways). I was playing around with OGG but it sucks a bit more power and it seems to distort with high bass at slightly lower bit rates. Also the X5 interface doesn't seem to agree totally with OGG. A minor problem but the sound meter doesn't react right with OGG.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You should get more battery life with a new CVS version of Rockbox than with the original FW... I didn't test it personally, but the developers over at Rockbox.org state that in the meantime it's more efficient at playing back MP3 and Ogg Vorbis.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
You should get more battery life with a new CVS version of Rockbox than with the original FW... I didn't test it personally, but the developers over at Rockbox.org state that in the meantime it's more efficient at playing back MP3 and Ogg Vorbis.

I like the BBE filters too much. Going have do a battery test when I load Rockbox on.

Got my upgrade from X5V to a X5 now. It is still a 20 Gig but that's enough for me.

I'm going to load Rockbox tomorrow. Mostly for cosmetic features, games and such.

It is going to be nice to be able to have 2 firmwares on my player.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 PM

My X5L/30gig is loaded with 90%+ oggs, and I use the BBE and other enhancements to drive my Shure E3c's.

It's about a year old now, and I still go to sleep with it on almost every night and let it run until I turn it off if I wake up in the middle of the night (I don't use the auto-off timer).

That means that I probably run it at least 4 hours on average every night, and I generally charge it once a week on the weekend. So I'm guessing I get somewhere between 25 to 30 hours per charge.

My only concern is how long I can expect the battery to last before it needs replacing, but so far, it doesn't seem to be getting tired at all.

That's my 02.