android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Software

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM

Default Advice on configuring EAC....been a while

Hi......I need a little advice on configuring EAC. I had it on my old computer, and remember following some guide when I set it up, and then I basically used it to rip mp3's, and never really touched it again. I haven't ripped any cd's in a while, and the last few I did, I plugged in the old machine, and ripped them, as I have since built a new computer.

I don't remember if it was difficult to configure or not, so if anyone can refresh my memory, give me any tips or advice, or point me to a guide.......hopefully the one I used last time.

Like I said, I use it just to rip mp3's, but I know it's the best program, so I'm going to download it tonight, and get it set up on this machine asap.

Thank in advance!

Oh........this is the correct site
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/inde...rces/download/
correct?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

There's one of the guides here http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=44 Also The link you posted is the right place to get the most current version of EAC.

For myself I stopped going through all that to set up EAC some time back. I've done quite a bit of reading and found that unless you have a specific reason not to, just running the Configuration Wizard and accepting the defaults should be all you need to have EAC do a great job.

Even the advice to never let EAC write ID3v2 tags to your mp3 rips and use some incredibly complex set of options instead has gone by the wayside for me. The bug that had EAC do a really poor job of tagging has been fixed. It's not the best tagger around but it does the job much better than what it once did. I redo all my tags with eithe MP3Tag or foobar2000 anyway. I haven't found that letting EAC do the intial job hurts. When I've ripped to MP3 my commnd line options are simply
Code:
-V 2 %source% %dest%
and check the boxes that let's EAC do it's job now that the bugs have been fixed.

All of the test and copy stuff? I ain't doing it. I do a burst rip and check the AccurateRip results. If I don't get numbers on every track, I'll reduce the speed and try again. If I get numbers I assume the job was done right. I've done that with several hundred discs and haven't had an audible problem so far.

Matter of fact I essentially stopped using EAC once I discovered CueTools and it's accompanying CueRipper. The setup is brain dead easy and the results have uniformly matched those of EAC without all the hassle. Using foobar2000's Converter and MusicBee's ripping capability also gets me the same results as fiddling around with the EAC and putting all the extra wear and tear on my optical drives.

I'm not trying to discourage you from EAC. It's one damn fine ripper and when it's used the way it can be, it does a great job. I'm just letting you know there's alternatives that don't require all the setup outlined in the guides.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I saw that guide after I made my original post, and was going to come back and ask a question about the command line they show, then I saw your reply.

I had signed up here back then too, and got help, but didn't remember my login or anything, so just re registered.

When I originally set up whatever version is on my old computer, I followed some guide at the time, and it was tagging my mp3's in such a way that they were showing on on my Creative Zen Vision M, in alphabetical order, on all the albums. I kind of freaked out, but I didn't know about mp3tag. A guy on the EAC forums showed me how to fix them all, and I couldn't remember it now if my life depended on it, haha!

But anyway, I fixed them all, and he suggested I use this command line, at the time
-V 2 --noreplaygain --nohist --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --ty "%y" --tl "%g" --tg "%m" --tn "%n" --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 %s %d

I'll be honest......I don't know what every bit of it means, but I just sed it, and it seemed to tag them fine from there on out. A friend of mine is adamant that I should change the 2 to o, and delete everything after noreplygain, and just tag them with mp3tag. The file size would be slightly bigger, but he says it would sound much better. As far as ripping mp3's for my Zen and my computer, I want them to be very good quality, but I don't have to go too overkill. That command line I just posted worked just fine before, not sure if it will still suffice on the latest version, or will your suggested command line do what I need it to do?

Also, is LAME part of EAC now, or do you still have to have it installed and "direct" EAC to it? Hope I asked that question right.

Anyway....you see what I'm after....a straightforward way to configure it to make really good quality mp3's....that's it!

Thanks in advance....again, for any help.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 AM

Oh.......If I was just to run the configuration wizard, like you mentioned.....would I still use a command line to get whatever desired quality I want? And what about setting up LAME if the configuration wizard is used?

I'm ok with configuring it manually, off one of the guides as well.

Either way.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Both the command line options we posted result in the same quality level. That's controlled by the "-V 2" part. Mine is just easier for me to remember.

To lower or raise the quality level setting you just change the numeral after the -V. The range is from 0 to 9. 0 being the highest quality level setting, 9 the lowest. I don't mess with it myself. -V 2 gives a average bitrate of ~192 and I've haven't been able to ever ABX a difference between that and the lossless original.

The patents on MP3 are still active so it still not included as part of EAC. You need go to Rarewares and get the LAME package yourself. If you unzip the entire contents of the first package to the installation folder of EAC the Configuration Wizard finds it as part of it's process.

I've noticed that ripping is as much about peace of mind as actual quality. I've done it enough with enough different rippers to know that there's not a difference that I can hear as long as I use a good quality secure ripper. I also know that my experience does nothing to give you peace of mind. To me that means it's best for you to go with what makes you most comfortable.

Using the guide I linked gives great results. As long as you're OK with the relatively small amount of time to set up using the guide I encourage you to go with that. There's nothing in the guide that's harmful afaik, it's just more complex than what I've found I need for top quality results.

EAC can also store profiles if you want. If you aren't comfortable with the results of the Wizard you can save them and do the guide setup. If you save both profiles it's easy to switch between them if you ever want to check for differences.

MP3Tag is fairly easy if you drop the folder with the files into it, select them all, right click and view them in the Extended properties pane. EAC's default tagging values aren't exactly what I prefer so I eliminate or add what I want in the Extended pane an hit OK. The give me tags that work everywhere I've tried them.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Ok.....thanks for that info. Yeah, I don't mind manually setting it up.......I did it before, just don't remember it all.

As far as LAME.......I got the second one down on that page you linked me too, as I have Windows 7, 64 bit, I'm assuming that's the best choice. Do I unzip it the installation folder before I ever install EAC, and do I do that even if not using the Configuration wizard?

Right now I just have the EAC installer and the LAME .zip on my desktop.

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Either of the LAME packages will work on a 64 bit system. There's no difference in audio quality, the 64 bit package is just optimized for 64 bit systems.

You'll need to unzip the LAME download. I place the entire LAME package in a folder named LAME in the same folder as EAC. It doesn't hurt to have the extra part in there and I always know where to look for the documentation. It could be anywhere on the PC as long as you are able to set the path during the setup. If you use the Wizard it finds it very quickly when it scans for LAME if it's in the EAC folder.

I'd be sure to have a few fairly popular discs around for EACs first run. That's when you'll get the setup dialog for AccurateRip. There's been a couple of times when the first disc I tried was rejected as unsuitable. The few minutes it takes to set it up is well worth while to me.

Having AccurateRip set up lets me do full speed rips with security lowered and C2 pointers enabled. As long as I get any Accuraterip matches for all tracks and EAC doesn't report suspicious positions I know that's about as good as I'm going to get.

I've tested rips using the super slow, ultra high security settings that grind away for hours vs. the way I prefer and can't find any differences in the waveforms generated when I do a bit compare as long as the AccurateRip results are the same. I decided it didn't make sense to burn up my optical drives with the settings from the guides as I wasn't getting an audible benefit from them. YMMV, of course.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM

I looked at a guide for the configuration wizard, and it seemed very familiar. I may have used the wizard last time, but I can't remember for sure. If I go that route, all I need to do is basically set the command line to my liking, and the rest is pretty much done automatically, correct?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Well, I got it all set up, using that guide, and this command line
-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tg "%genre%" --tl "%albumtitle%" --ty "%year%" --tn "%tracknr%" %source% -o %dest%
from the guide.
Tested a CD, and it took about 20 minutes to compress a CD, which seems like a long time to me. Any way I can speed that up? I remember they would take about 15 minutes or so before, so I'm sure it's pretty normal. Like you said, that's where the wear and tear on the drive comes into play, with probably no audible difference that I'd hear, over maybe using another program, or speeding up EAC.

Last edited by soulweeper; 04-11-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post

Matter of fact I essentially stopped using EAC once I discovered CueTools and it's accompanying CueRipper. The setup is brain dead easy and the results have uniformly matched those of EAC without all the hassle. Using foobar2000's Converter and MusicBee's ripping capability also gets me the same results as fiddling around with the EAC and putting all the extra wear and tear on my optical drives.

I'm not trying to discourage you from EAC. It's one damn fine ripper and when it's used the way it can be, it does a great job. I'm just letting you know there's alternatives that don't require all the setup outlined in the guides.
I took a look at CueRipper, and I might give that a try, since you said the results would essentially be the same. I'm sure it does everything a lot quicker too, yes?

Last edited by soulweeper; 04-11-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Look again. I didn't say CueRipper ripped faster, I said the setup was much easier. Big difference.

It's a portable installation that won't interfere with any other other software. I'd give it a shot. It may work better for you.

Have you tried adjusting your drive and security settings? I just ripped a CD using EAC in secure mode with C2 pointers enabled, drive speed set to max, allowing speed reduction and using AccurateRip. Error recovery was set to low. Took a bit over three minutes and at least a minute and ten seconds of that was compression time. That amount of time is fairly typical of what I get with those settings.

The disc is in fairly decent shape so there wasn't any slowdowns during the ripping phase. The PC I'm using has a fairly slow processor so compression takes a while.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Look again. I didn't say CueRipper ripped faster, I said the setup was much easier. Big difference.

It's a portable installation that won't interfere with any other other software. I'd give it a shot. It may work better for you.

Have you tried adjusting your drive and security settings? I just ripped a CD using EAC in secure mode with C2 pointers enabled, drive speed set to max, allowing speed reduction and using AccurateRip. Error recovery was set to low. Took a bit over three minutes and at least a minute and ten seconds of that was compression time. That amount of time is fairly typical of what I get with those settings.

The disc is in fairly decent shape so there wasn't any slowdowns during the ripping phase. The PC I'm using has a fairly slow processor so compression takes a while.
Ok.....gotcha......but obviously mine is taking way too long, for whatever reason.

Under the extraction method tab, mine is in secure mode with the box next to Drive has 'Accurate Stream' feature checked. Nothing else on that tab is checked.

My error recovery quality is set to high, like the guide recommends, but maybe it's irrelavant for me. So that might be making it take longer.

I'm also allowing speed reduction and using AccurateRip.

You mentioned drive speed set to max.....where is that setting?
I used a disc that has hardly ever been played, and my computer is only about a year old, built it myself, so something is definitely wrong, and it has to be a couple things with some settings.

You obviously have yours configured much differently than mine, and a lot of what you said is kind of foreign language to me right now, so can you tell me a simple way to configure it to get it done faster? I'd really appreciate it!

If you need any screenshots of any of the tabs, to see where I might have set something that will make the process as slow as it is, I can do that as well.

Last edited by soulweeper; 04-11-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM

I did one with it in Burst mode, and it only took about 3 minutes, is that what you were referring to?

But, when I check Burst Mode, it grays out the upper half, and unchecks Secure Mode, and you said you ran it in secure mode with AccurateRip, so I'm confused now.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2a148db2.jpg

It definitely was a lot faster, but not sure if it's completely right.

Last edited by soulweeper; 04-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Burst mode rips still generate an AccurateRip report. They just aren't submitted for addition to the AR database.

You can generate a log immediately after the rip in the Status and Error messages window that comes up after the rip. As long as it says no errors occurred, all the tracks were ripped accurately and you get AR numbers the rip is OK.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Burst mode rips still generate an AccurateRip report. They just aren't submitted for addition to the AR database.

You can generate a log immediately after the rip in the Status and Error messages window that comes up after the rip. As long as it says no errors occurred, all the tracks were ripped accurately and you get AR numbers the rip is OK.
Ok.
So, is burst mode what you meant when you said you have drive set to max speed? That seems to be where the time difference is between the one I did earlier, and the one you did that took only a few minutes.

One other thing that is weird.....regardless of where I tell it to extract the compressed files to, when I go there, there isn't a folder with the artist name, with another folder inside with the album title, and then inside that, the tracks. My old version of EAC did that. This one extracts everything to wherever I tell it, and there will be all the tracks, in numerical order of course, and an M3U(?) file, whatever that is....but when I click on that, it will start playing the entire album, so not sure what that's about. I can make a folder every time I rip a CD, but didn't have to before.

Oh.....I might give CueRipper a try too.....any advice on setting that up? It does look pretty simple. Dies it have LAME as part of the program, or does it find it on your computer, provided it's installed? Just curious how that works.

And between
VBR (VBRlibmp3lame)
CBR (VBRlibmp3lame)
VBR (lame.exe)
CBR (lame.exe)

which is best?

Last edited by soulweeper; 04-11-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Burst mode and the drive speed setting are in different tabs because they have different effects on the drive during the rip. Both have an effect on the speed of the rip but in most cases I don't recommend using burst mode. It's faster but quality can be impacted because it disables error detection and correction. It just reads the disc without trying to fix anything. That's why burst mode rips aren't submitted to the database.

Before AccurateRip there wasn't really a way to know what was ripped in burst mode without listening to the entire rip. With AccurateRip there's a database to check the CRC of the .wav file that's created. If the disc is in the database, it's checked to see if the rip matches other rips that were done using secure ripping.

Burst mode can be useful if you have a disc that's in poor shape and won't rip at all with error correction enabled. Other than that it's better to use secure mode.

Using secure mode with error correction at it's lowest level and your drive set to highest speed can handle with is nearly as quick as burst mode if the disk is in decent shape. It also gives the added protection of some error checking and correction. On the rare occasions I still use EAC that's how I do it now.

I mentioned doing rips a fairly non-conventional way because that's what worked for me when I had a ton of rips to get out the way. Very few rips failed to generate AR numbers that failed to satisfy me. Maybe one in 20. I could work through several good discs an hour and set aside the ones that needed a different setup to deal with when I had more time and patience.

Having secure ripping enabled is no doubt the better way to do it. However when I've checked the results of the burst mode rips I've done in the past against the disc, none of the ones that got decent AR numbers have failed to pass. I'm OK with how I did it.

The drive speed setting designates the highest speed to be used during the rip. It doesn't force the rip to occur at the speed you choose. If are sufficient errors are detected the drive speed is reduced for greater reading accuracy.

If EAC isn't folders creating it's because it hasn't been configured to create them. You can do that in EAC Options... under the Filename tab. I use
Code:
%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% - %title%
but as you'll see when you that tab it's possible to set that to suit your preference. The backslash character " \ " is used to tell the software to create folders.

CueTools doesn't come with LAME. Just drop a copy of the same lame.exe you use with foobar2000 into the CueTools folder and it finds it and uses it when you rip to MP3.

There shouldn't be a difference between the LAME versions you listed. They're the same LAME, just setup for different uses. The difference is Constant BitRate or Variable BitRate. Some software isn't set to handle .exe files and use .dll libraries.

Unless you need a predictable size file size CBR encoding is a waste of space and quality. LAME has been tuned around it's VBR quality presets. CBR files are almost always larger to no audible benefit. They probably won't sound worse than VBR files, they just won't sound any better and take up more space. Using the VBR presets with no tweaks is definitely the way to go.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweeper View Post
Tested a CD, and it took about 20 minutes to compress a CD, which seems like a long time to me. Any way I can speed that up? I remember they would take about 15 minutes or so before, so I'm sure it's pretty normal. Like you said, that's where the wear and tear on the drive comes into play, with probably no audible difference that I'd hear, over maybe using another program, or speeding up EAC.
this could be a speed problem when running secure mode.

a few months ago i updated to windows 7 because i got me a new pc (old one wasn't too performant, was slow with aero and stuff) and also a new optical drive (old one was PATA, mb has only SATA, ).

since eac is not being worked on anymore win7 support is kinda lagging and much to my chagrin it doesn't really work well with blu ray drives (and LG drives in general) causing them not to go higher then 1x-2x speed when ripping in secure mode. this could be the cause for the rather slow ripping speed.

there is only one work around and it's annoying and not very feasible if you're trying to rip lots of cds at once.

you can try opening eac/compression options/extraction method and then start the "examine c2 feature" test. this will spin up the drive to max speed (i guess), you abort and then you can begin ripping in secure mode and it will spin back to around 8x speed (at least on my lg bh10ls38).

but since you have to do that workaround every time you eject the cd/insert a new one and then wait for the c2 feature test to start (it takes a few seconds it's just annoying. i'm actively looking for a decent replacement, and so far there is none, at least not for free.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Using secure mode with error correction at it's lowest level and your drive set to highest speed can handle with is nearly as quick as burst mode if the disk is in decent shape. It also gives the added protection of some error checking and correction. On the rare occasions I still use EAC that's how I do it now.
Ok.....this is what you mean by setting error correction at it's lowest level
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...pscd22cf93.jpg
correct?

And where do I set the drive to the highest speed? I'm assuming it's here
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps01b9cbab.jpg

but there is nothing that adjust drive speed, so I must be missing something really simple.

The interesting part is...that CueRipper ripped a CD in a few minutes last night, so I wonder what the difference is, as I didn't do anything with drive speed, or anything remotely close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
this could be a speed problem when running secure mode.

a few months ago i updated to windows 7 because i got me a new pc (old one wasn't too performant, was slow with aero and stuff) and also a new optical drive (old one was PATA, mb has only SATA, ).
Yeah, my computer is fairly new, and also running Windows 7, and I have an ASUS drive, for whatever it's worth.

Quote:

CueTools doesn't come with LAME. Just drop a copy of the same lame.exe you use with foobar2000 into the CueTools folder and it finds it and uses it when you rip to MP3.
Just drop the .exe in the CueTools folder, not the entire LAME folder, correct? Just making sure.

Last edited by skip252; 04-12-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: post merged, please edit your previous post instead of creating a new one for each question if there hasn't been an answer given, multi posting is a no-no here

Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
i'm actively looking for a decent replacement, and so far there is none, at least not for free.
What alternatives have you tried? CueTools, foobar2000, MusicBee all produce files that are bit exact to what EAC produces for me. They are all in active development, much easier to get set up and free.

I don't know if they work on blu-ray drives. Checking into that should be fairly painless though. They all have a portable version that won't interfere with any of your installed software. If they don't work the way you need, just delete the installation folder.

CueTools does create a settings folder in <Username\AppData\Roaming> that needs to be deleted to completely get it off your system. That's all I I've ever found it leaves outside the installation folder. You can have it not write that if you delete the user_profiles_enabled file before the first run. Any settings then are saved to same folder CueTools is in.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Looks like my drive doesn't support allowing the extraction speed to be changed, that's probably why I didn't see that option.

And here's something else that is pretty odd......I just tried a couple more CD's, still in secure mode with AccurateRip, error recovery quality still set to high, and I even changed the quality to V 0, and a 10 track CD ripped in 00:04:20, and a 13 track CD ripped in 00:05:29. That's pretty cool, but don't now what happened, unless something freaked out with the first CD that I'm unaware of. Kind of bizarre.

And, on the one CD, I get this in the log
Accurately ripped (confidence 1)

and on the other I got
Accurately ripped (confidence 8)

I'm assuming as long as it's accurately ripped, it's essentially irrelevant what number it gives for confidence, correct?

Last edited by soulweeper; 04-12-2013 at 05:52 PM.