android
Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Just got a new phone

Well i finally broke down and got a smart phone. I picked up the new HTC One.

Its a very nice phone but its going to take awhile to get used to such a big phone after coming from a feature phone

Still figuring everything out on it.

Anyone else get one?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
Well i finally broke down and got a smart phone. I picked up the new HTC One.

Anyone else get one?
If it was available for Verizon, I might. But what I'd actually prefer is the HTC First (with Facebook Home disabled so I could run stock Jellybean)...again, if it was available for Verizon. (Side note: I am not a fan of Verizon's device adoption decision-making lately.)

The HTC One looks fabulous, though, and I'd love to hear more about your experiences with it as time goes on.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm contemplating getting this, considering my current connectivity issues with the wife's & my Lumia 920's. I'm on AT&T, so I don't need to swap carriers, and the 64gb model is an exclusive.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
If it was available for Verizon, I might. But what I'd actually prefer is the HTC First (with Facebook Home disabled so I could run stock Jellybean)...again, if it was available for Verizon. (Side note: I am not a fan of Verizon's device adoption decision-making lately.)

The HTC One looks fabulous, though, and I'd love to hear more about your experiences with it as time goes on.
I was going to suggest the Nexus 4 if you're looking for stock Android, but I heard it doesn't work with Verizon (I'm not too familiar with US carriers though, so don't quote me on that).

Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
I was going to suggest the Nexus 4 if you're looking for stock Android, but I heard it doesn't work with Verizon (I'm not too familiar with US carriers though, so don't quote me on that).
That is, unfortunately, correct. I'd love to upgrade my aging Incredible 2, but nothing has come along in the same form factor to entice me away (or make me feel like I'm not getting a raw deal). The RAZR M came close, but after enjoying the smooth pixel array and nice color balance of the Incredible 2's screen, there's no way I'm going back to the oversaturated, pixelated mess of a pentile AMOLED.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My coworker walked in this morning with the HTC One,...and it's his first smartphone. I was floored,...it's EXCELLENT!!! And he's clueless!!! Lol,...he's gonna need a ton of help using it. Me & my other coworker are his personal tech assistants.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
My coworker walked in this morning with the HTC One,...and it's his first smartphone. I was floored,...it's EXCELLENT!!! And he's clueless!!! Lol,...he's gonna need a ton of help using it. Me & my other coworker are his personal tech assistants.
Nice! I'm most likely leaning towards that or the Nexus 4 so post your findings!

Now to find a carrier that doesn't do a 3-year contract...

Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 AM

I just got the Xperia Z, a really good deal on it unlocked. I think 1920 x 1080 is overkill for a phone, though - if I'd had a choice I'd probably have gone for the One but it really comes down to aluminium vs glass, there's not much between these 2 spec-wise except the Sony is waterproof and has a microSd slot (which I won't use anyway).

It's charging right now - first impressions are it's very nice, although 5" is big the phone is slim, full HD and 2Gbs of Ram. It has the Walkman settings except Clearbass is on a scale of 1 to 10.

Last edited by Jeven; 05-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice acquisition, the Xperia Z is an excellent phone.

As for the HTC One, I haven't touched it again. My coworker has been playing with it, and he's coming along nicely. When he asks a question we just shout out the answer & he's good-to-go. He luvs the thing.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM

The One is nice - couldn't find one that was reasonably priced.

Some photos - a guy from Singapore in another forum says that he takes his Z into the shower with him, but I don't see the attraction myself.

But the phone can be washed.

Here is a pretty good comparison between the HTC One and the Sony Z: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_vs_x...review-917.php

Last edited by Jeven; 05-16-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM

I have the HTC EVO 3D, its an alright phone, way faster than my old Samsung Intercept! In my experience HTC phones are pretty good quality wise.

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 05-16-2013, 05:22 PM

This is interesting... a Galaxy S4 running stock Android.

Link

Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wish I could get stock Android to run on my Lumia 920,...just to see how I'd like it. Nokia & Motorola are my 2 faves when it comes to hardware.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 AM

It seems I will be using a microSD card. The Z only has 10.5Gb of space available after it's operating system and core apps.

One thing I like is that apps can only be installed to the internal memory - this prevents anything from being broken if you switch out a microSD card..I'll use one of those for some photos, movies and music.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How is the Z's sq when playing music? I've heard it's quite good,...do you agree?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM

It's really nice - it sounds fine to me, plus.. all the Walkman EQ settings - like the ones you see on their DAPs are now -10 to +10 instead of just 3. This includes Clearbass. So the sound is much more configurable, finer, I suppose I'm saying. Whether it sounds any different, flat, to my E474 I don't know

On the Walkman's now-playing screen you do get all the bells and whistles - endless visualisation options, better album art than you already have etc. I like it a lot and will probably use it over something such as Poweramp.

I got a 32Gb MicroSD, although I'm not sure how I'm going to use it. Sometime ago I uploaded 80Gbs or so of music to Google Play and this can all be quickly streamed to the phone, or I can choose to download folders and albums individually. So there's not much point in loading up the Z with music files, or even connecting it to my computer at all. I do have one folder on there of favourites.

Perhaps video and photographs.

There was a bunch of Sony apps I deleted, but I haven't changed the launcher as it is pretty close to stock Android - this is my home screen:

Last edited by Jeven; 05-17-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow,...Sony finally did an Android phone right. Thanks for the full info on it.

I do have 2 last questions: How is the volume? And, how good is the battery life. I've seen conflicting reviews on both,...

Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 AM

It's certainly loud enough with my Sony iems, don't have any headphones to test.

The battery life is meant to be low at first, but settle down somewhat and improve after a month - that is what I read. I've had to charge it a couple of times already but I've only had it a day and have been using it constantly.

It does have good power management settings, though, last night I had 45% and put it on Stamina mode overnight and it just dropped to 43.

There was a Sony firmware upgrade today which altered the look of some of the icons and widgets and apparently fixed a couple of camera related flaws.

Last edited by Jeven; 05-17-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 AM

I love the Z although I don't have one myself. I've actually got a Nexus 4. Love just about everything about it aside from the non-expandable storage. I've coped with it for the most part with Spotify though.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:15 AM

Well, Google Play Music isn't that nice a music player - even though it's been revamped I still don't like it. Even though I can apply the Walkman EQ settings I really dislike its interface.

What I have done is load up the microSD with about 20Gbs of music, and I'll use either Poweramp or the Walkman app. Poweramp has more customisation, but the Walkman app is really nice and very well done.

Then, whenever I want something new from my collection I'll go to Google Play Music, download it, and it will automatically be added to the other apps. So, I do need the microSD unless I wanted to just stream music.

Last edited by Jeven; 05-18-2013 at 08:21 AM.