android
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm using my gifted SGS III right now, with PowerAmp as my player app of choice. I luv it,...screw WP!!! Muahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM

You're lucky you can switch devices so often... man I hate being stuck in my contract

On the plus side, only 2 more months left!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm in a contract. I just have enough people around me that allow me to switch & swap devices more frequently. They even have allowed me to get an upgrade on their contract, and they refused to change their phone. Also, since I'm the main line on a 5 phone acct, I can call & get early upgrades if I want. It's a corporate acct. AT&T gives me a hookup when I ask,...

Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 AM

It's better in Europe where people tend to buy phones unlocked and the carriers have no say whatsoever in what phone you use. Buying my Z outright was cheaper than any contract, and why wouldn't I want to own the phone? You can still get contracts but they're not particularly popular as they are expensive.

I can go with whatever carrier I choose, and tend to pick the one with the fastest data speeds. Data is unlimited for a low cost.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
It's better in Europe where people tend to buy phones unlocked and the carriers have no say whatsoever in what phone you use. Buying my Z outright was cheaper than any contract, and why wouldn't I want to own the phone? You can still get contracts but they're not particularly popular as they are expensive.

I can go with whatever carrier I choose, and tend to pick the one with the fastest data speeds. Data is unlimited for a low cost.
It's essentially the opposite here. Most people do contracts because buying a phone outright generally costs about $650 or more, whereas getting a contract reduces that to around $50-200. Not only that, but they're almost always locked.

What kinds of prices are you paying for data?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM

You can get a data pack for as little as 5 a month - that's unlimited, but it tends to be slightly slower as it's T Mobile but still quite fast.

I'm using 3 network's dual channel HSDPA+ which isn't far off 4g speeds and is faster than most wired broadband. I recently cancelled my home broadband package. I'm paying 15 a month for unlimited data, 300 minutes and 3000 texts.

I do tend to use the data - 30 - 75Gb or so a month.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wish it was like that here, but the govt allows the carriers to rape us. The inexpensive plans on the smaller networks suck,...

Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
You can get a data pack for as little as 5 a month - that's unlimited, but it tends to be slightly slower as it's T Mobile but still quite fast.

I'm using 3 network's dual channel HSDPA+ which isn't far off 4g speeds and is faster than most wired broadband. I recently cancelled my home broadband package. I'm paying 15 a month for unlimited data, 300 minutes and 3000 texts.

I do tend to use the data - 30 - 75Gb or so a month.
According to Google 15 is about $23 Canadian. For that price the only thing I can get is calling (and maybe text). Shame the prices skyrocket the moment you add data... and they don't even give you much to begin with.

My plan right now is $40/month, and that gives me unlimited text, 150 minutes, and My5 (unlimited calls to any 5 numbers of your choice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I wish it was like that here, but the govt allows the carriers to rape us. The inexpensive plans on the smaller networks suck,...
Tell me about it... my family's had inexplicable fees added without notice, large roaming fees, and charges for services we never used. And every time we call the carrier to complain, they always say stuff like "our records are correct and you're a liar!"

Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Fair point, the cellular plans are priced much better where Jeven is compared to here in North America.....but how much is a gallon of gasoline in each place?

Old 07-05-2013, 04:25 PM

Petrol (gas) is expensive here, and even though the UK is no longer in the top 10 most expensive in Europe for petrol, you would still not want to pay our prices.

I've heard that general grocery shopping is more expensive here, too.

But in the US and Canada you do get raped by phone carriers and ISPs. Although North America is vast, you do have concentrations of major towns and cities in fairly small areas - like in Europe - and there is no good reason why prices can't come way down and the level of service approach that of Europe or Asia.

Last edited by Jeven; 07-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Most of Canada's population is actually concentrated in the south, to my knowledge. The carriers' excuse about having a big area to cover doesn't hold water.

Personally I think the problem is lack of competition. Startups are having trouble competing against the incumbents because of things like lack of money. The plans the startups offer are superior on paper, but the tradeoff is that your network coverage is limited.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 PM

I got a Sony Xperia SP - here it is next to the Z:

The Z is too big for everyday use, I found, I wanted something smaller without the sharp angles of the Z. The SP is actually heavier, but much more pocketable.

It is lower-specced but still quite respectable: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...ones/7785,7539

It has a rather funky transparent bar which lights up according to which app you're in, music, notifications etc. but can be turned off.

And it has a bigger battery - one of my main gripes, as well as the size of the Z. I'm going to give it a month or two to see whether I like it enough and which one to keep and which to sell.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

The HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Sony Z all are nice phones, and of course, each have their strenghts and weaknesses. The One does does not provide an expansion slot nor removable battery, and the Z's processor isn't as beefy as the other two I mentioned, but it's water and dust resistant. The S4 has a more plastic feel so that might turn off some people. I chose the S4 because I think it's strengths outweigh its weaknesses. The camera takes excellent pictures, call quality is excellent and I can now amuse myself by seeing pictures advance by waving my hand.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM

I'm keeping the Z around because it has 2Gb of RAM and I wonder what Android 5 will be like on it..but currently it's a paperweight.

The SP does exactly the same but in a smaller package and with better battery life, probably because it has a bigger battery , but also because it doesn't have 4 cores or a fHD screen to power.

Also, the Z, although it has a glass back and front, it doesn't feel like it - it feels like plastic. The SP is gorilla glass and aluminium, only the removable back panel is plastic.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I just got a new phone too! dancenana.gif

LG Optimus G Pro

5.5-inch 1920x1080 screen
1.7GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor
13-megapixel rear, 2.1-megapixel front cameras
32GB built-in storage, microSD slot with support for up to 64GB cards
2GB RAM
4G LTE connectivity
3,140mAh battery
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A BEAST!!! Enjoy the new toy bro,...great tech!!!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, I just got a new phone too! Attachment 12241

LG Optimus G Pro

5.5-inch 1920x1080 screen
1.7GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor
13-megapixel rear, 2.1-megapixel front cameras
32GB built-in storage, microSD slot with support for up to 64GB cards
2GB RAM
4G LTE connectivity
3,140mAh battery
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Nice phone

Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
Nice phone
Thanks!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A little low in the volume, but quite nice: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g...view-904p7.php

Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
A little low in the volume, but quite nice: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g...view-904p7.php
Good to see, although I have no plans to make it my primary DAP. I'll likely have a few essential things on there music-wise, of course.

And JK98 will be pleased to hear that the battery is removable and replacable.