android
Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Good to see, although I have no plans to make it my primary DAP. I'll likely have a few essential things on there music-wise, of course.

And JK98 will be pleased to hear that the battery is removable and replacable.
You DO KNOW the battery is upgradeable,...right???

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2013, 05:13 AM

Nice phone, the LG, and not much talked about.

I like that battery size. Can I ask what you're paying for it, and did you consider other phones and went for the larger screen?

Last edited by Jeven; 08-03-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
Nice phone, the LG, and not much talked about.

I like that battery size. Can I ask what you're paying for it, and did you consider other phones and went for the larger screen?
The upfront cost was $99. We (my dad, sister, and I) are doing a shared data pool of 6GB/month with unlimited call/texts and splitting the cost three ways, but I have the best phone of the lot. My sister already had an iPhone 4, and my dad got an iPhone4 as well (it was only 99cents up front).

I just couldn't see entering a 2 year agreement with a phone that is already 2 years old. So I asked the guy what was available Android-wise for $100 or less, and it came down to two LG models, and once I saw the brilliant screen and heard "quad-core and 2GB RAM and JellyBean" I was sold. I probably could have been happy with the smaller LG model, but the battery was so much bigger in this one that I thought it was the way to go.

The Samsung models like the S4 and Note II were $200 more, as was the iPhone 5....so this phone was almost a no-brainer. It even has that same thing as the S4 where the screen stays lit as long as it detects you looking at it, and the video pauses if you look away.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:16 AM

I would have picked the LG over the SGS4 and the iPhone 5 even if they were the same price.

I've just recently begun using my Z for watching movies - although most of my films are 720p and not 1080, it's a pretty good experience.

You should love the 5.5 screen of the LG for movies.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I would have picked the LG over the SGS4 and the iPhone 5 even if they were the same price.

I've just recently begun using my Z for watching movies - although most of my films are 720p and not 1080, it's a pretty good experience.

You should love the 5.5 screen of the LG for movies.
I don't have any that are 1080p either, but a fair amount of 720p films. And with the MX Player Pro app, it's easy to accomodate different resolutions and screen sizes.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Nice phablet Marv. One thing though, are you sure it has smart stay, etc? (Not that it's important) I am asking because all the reviews I read doesn't mention this and I am stumped why this wouldn't be mentioned.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Nice phablet Marv. One thing though, are you sure it has smart stay, etc? (Not that it's important) I am asking because all the reviews I read doesn't mention this and I am stumped why this wouldn't be mentioned.
Here's the settings screen where it is mentioned...

Yikes! I had no idea the Quick Memo screenshot would be Full HD. I'll have to find a different way to get screenshots....lol.
I have not put that feature to the test, either.....wondering if my glasses would be a hindrance or not, but I'm not going to worry about trying it today.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 AM

Am I the only one that's creeped out by a phone/video game/tv/etc. that is watching me, especially in light of recent revelations?

Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
Am I the only one that's creeped out by a phone/video game/tv/etc. that is watching me, especially in light of recent revelations?
Not at all, I wouldn't want that either. Though I'm more curious as to how well the feature works.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I don't have any that are 1080p either, but a fair amount of 720p films. And with the MX Player Pro app, it's easy to accomodate different resolutions and screen sizes.
What do you think of Google Now?

I love it...it knows when I'm at the supermarket/bank/home/work etc. and provides contextual information and reminders.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

I love it...it knows when I'm at the supermarket/bank/home/work etc. and provides contextual information and reminders.
I haven't tried it yet. My case and screen shield won't be here until later this coming week, so I have not even taken the phone out of the house yet.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
A little low in the volume, but quite nice: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g...view-904p7.php
I gave it a quick try with one set of headphones that are easy to drive and it sounded just fine, both for music and video. Still no plans to use it as a DAP, but nice to know I can if I need to.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:

I use Google Now and love it also, and it also helps me to get to work on time. However, I wonder if Google Now is also being used to track and report our moves to "Big Brother".

Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/08/05...e-compromised/

Quote:
A number of users have been complaining about the back panel glass, which has lifted slightly on one side. Some people are concerned that the phone has lost its water resistance due to the raised panel. For most users it hasn’t caused any issues, but for others it has led to the water resistant indicators on the ports turning red – even if all of the flaps had been closed.

The issue seems to happen either in hot weather or when the phone is being stressed heavily through gaming or other high intensity tasks. This causes the phone to heat up and the theory is that this leads the glue holding the back panel in place to melt. It affects the top half of the handset on the left side – where the Snapdragon chipset resides.

The problem with this type of issue is that Sony repair centres are turning people back, judging by comments on forums. Repair centres have no way of telling if water damage has been caused by a loose back panel or whether someone has inadvertently left a flap open.

People are taking the issue into their own hands by using a hair dryer to melt the glue, push the glass back in, clamp it in place and then wait for the glue to cool down. Others have applied glue externally around the edges as a temporary fix.

This has happened to my Z (although I wouldn't have known unless I looked for it.) The back glass is raised slightly on the top left side. Seems to be a serious problem as users on Sony blogs and XDA report that their phones are no longer waterproof.

I'm not bothered myself as I don't use the Z as my daily driver, but I would advise anyone not to buy this phone as it is a defect and is just a matter of time (and heat) before the glue fails.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Finally sold my Xperia Z today - I just wasn't using it although it's a good phone.

Using the white SP all the time now.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm getting a Nokia Lumia 1520, but I'm waiting a bit until the 32gb model is released. Well worth it for me,...

Last edited by The DarkSide; 11-21-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I ordered the Nokia Lumia 1520 today. it's the dumbed down AT&T version, but I can still get a wireless charging cover for the back. Music & pics will be on the micro SD card, so I'll be good with the 16gb internal storage (I wish it was 32gb, but the pricing was right). I've already tried it out at the mall, and I was quite impressed. I can't wait!!!

Oh, and apps are slowly coming to the platform - thank gawd!!! Lol!!! :P
You mean this?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Could you edit your post now,...P.I.T.A. :-/

Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Woo phablets.

Basically traded in my Evo View and GS3 (When I say traded, I mean gifted) and got a Note 3, it's in a Spigen case, to cover all that sugly plastic chrome and plastic "pleather". Have to say I love how near flawless hand writing recognition has gotten, just wish there was more function to what I can do with it. Kind of frustrating, since I can write down an entire sticky note with words, but then only use those words (Which the device recognizes fully) to do so little. A simple "Copy to clipboard" function would have been great.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Very nice Jack4L!!! I especially luv the picture of the Nokia Lumia 1520 behind it,... I'm waiting for the 1520 myself, but actually think my only real reason is Here Drive. And that's not a valid reason. my other choice is a Note3,...