android
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM

Default Zen NX hard drive problem (newbie questions) with XP

Hi-

I recently bought a Creative NOMAD Zen NX with 30G harddrive. It worked fine. However, after attempting to delete some files I created a situation where the unit hangs at the EAX screen. I was using the gnomad2 application under Debian when that happened.

I haven't used any Windows OS in several years, but I happen to discover an old laptop with dual boot to XP2. But I am not very familiar with Windows apps or menus.

My goal is to either reinstall the firmware, or if needed, reformat the harddrive first then reinstall the firmware.

Unfortunately, the XP machine doesn't recognize the Zen at all- the software says it isn't connected, and there is no icon for it under "My Computer".

Do I assume correctly that the XP driver is included in the software application suite? When I try to run the Creative Media Explorer package it doesn't recognize the Zen so I can't get any further with it. Is there some other approach? For instance, can I load the driver without having to first load that app suite?

Will I now need to remove the harddrive and reformat it separate from the Zen? If so, should I use FAT16? Which Windows application or utility would I use to do that?

The Creative site seems to only have the 1.21.03 version of the firmware, which is probably OK for my use. Also, it appears I would use the Creative Media Explorer Software Pack 5.70.15 for Creative ZEN player ZNCB_PCAppXP_LA_5_70_15.exe since I only have XP. I'm confused about the past forum posts concerning other versions (PFS), but I don't need advanced Windows functionality since I will only be using this with linux after I get it running again.

Suggestions about how to fix this harddrive problem?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2014, 03:48 PM

OK, it took me a few weeks, but I finally was able to buy a different hard drive- a used 80GB with the ATA/100 interface. Evidently the original harddrive is so bad the Zen won't recognize it. Now that I have the "new" harddrive installed, I get to the Rescue Mode screen.

I still can't get the OS to load. Windows XP sees the harddrive on the USB bus and presents the Found New Hardware Wizard- but it says it can't find the driver.

So where do I get the driver? On the Creative site I only see the firmware and the Creative Zen media Explorer.

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
Keith

Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 PM

I was able to find the Creative ZEN and Jukebox Driver 2.01.00 by doing a search (it doesn't show up on the page which claims to list all software for the Zen NX). The actual filename is JB3MV2_PCWDRV_US_2_01_00.EXE

This is for USB 2.0- my old XP software is being run on an old laptop which only has USB 1.0, so I can only hope that it will work OK.

I was able to get the drivers loaded- it appears Windows XP recognizes the Zen. But Still I can't get the Zen firmware to load- it still tells me the player is not connected.

Ideas on how to get it the firmware to load?

Thanks,
Keith

Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to use the older Creative software. The last link is for the firmware. http://support.creative.com/download...ownloadId=9320 http://support.creative.com/download...ownloadId=8681 http://support.creative.com/download...ownloadId=8069 http://support.creative.com/download...ownloadId=7659

Old 07-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks much Coach! Now I am up and running...

I didn't at first see the older firmware on the Creative site. Once you pointed it to me I was able to get it working.

BTW- the links won't work directly due to how the Creative site is configured- clicking on any of them only brings you to the main support menu. But using the Id numbers in the links I was able to confirm the proper files.

I only needed the firmware and the XP driver to load the Zen OS- since I am using Linux for transferring songs I didn't need the Windows apps.

Thanks again,
Keith

Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad to know you got it going. I have several Zen players of many types. Don't use them much anymore but, I do use my Zen Xtra regularly since it is on my nightstand.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 PM

I think this one will get limited use- I mainly want it to use in the car- just set it on random play during long drives for my own personal radio station with no commercials and no need to change cd's...

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Keith Ostertag