android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 AM

Default SanDisk Fuse Wheel Problems+New Model Recommendation Request

Greetings Group- I have a Sandisk Fuze (BI0906BMXK-8gb) Got it in trade 2-3 years ago. Love it!!! Got an extra MicroDisc (16 gig) to add more space. Have used it faithfully. Still charges fine. Out of nowhere, the control wheel has gotten "stiff". I care for it well- feared I might have spilled something on it- but I'm sure that's not the case. Had no idea what to do??? I got a small piece of paper and managed to get it down in the groove around the wheel and "scored" it around the edge. Gave a blast of canned air, then a shot of WD40. "Exercised" it around. After all that, it's a *bit* better, but still gives poor response. I fear this is the end??? From a few "wheel"-related posts I've read, I think I understand the mechanics of the wheel are deeper in the works than "lubricating" will take care of. This model has no screws on the back, so I don't think I want to try to get inside it. Will use it as is for the time being. Are there any recommendations for a newer model to transfer my songs to? I see a few on AMAZON- minus a wheel- with newer "arrow" controls. That's fine. There are a few used models with wheel- but would question how old they were and battery life left. I welcome any and all responses and thanx in advance! Mark

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark7 View Post
Greetings Group- I have a Sandisk Fuze (BI0906BMXK-8gb) Got it in trade 2-3 years ago. Love it!!! Got an extra MicroDisc (16 gig) to add more space. Have used it faithfully. Still charges fine. Out of nowhere, the control wheel has gotten "stiff". I care for it well- feared I might have spilled something on it- but I'm sure that's not the case. Had no idea what to do??? I got a small piece of paper and managed to get it down in the groove around the wheel and "scored" it around the edge. Gave a blast of canned air, then a shot of WD40. "Exercised" it around. After all that, it's a *bit* better, but still gives poor response. I fear this is the end??? From a few "wheel"-related posts I've read, I think I understand the mechanics of the wheel are deeper in the works than "lubricating" will take care of. This model has no screws on the back, so I don't think I want to try to get inside it. Will use it as is for the time being. Are there any recommendations for a newer model to transfer my songs to? I see a few on AMAZON- minus a wheel- with newer "arrow" controls. That's fine. There are a few used models with wheel- but would question how old they were and battery life left. I welcome any and all responses and thanx in advance! Mark
The scroll wheel does appear to be the Achilles heel of these players.

A few months ago mine started to send a burst of static through the phones and freeze the firmware whenever I would press the lower [Menu] section of the wheel. I'd dropped it once or twice on hard surfaces, so possibly a bit of of something broke loose and lodged under the wheel. I opened the case and shot canned air through the wheel (without removing it's thin plastic inner cover) and fortunately this fixed the scroll wheel button.

Unfortunately when I opened the case I managed to break about half of the clips so it no longer closes tightly. The teardown instructions on the web don't actually explain how to open the clips without damaging them. Apparently its necessary to pry the case open just far enough to pass a thin tool in a few millimeters in order to press against and release each clip. If you just pry the back of the case off as I did the clips break.

My player works fine again for now, but it's sure not looking so great with tape holding it together. Maybe I'll buy a non working one for its case, if I can find one that looks good, and replace the battery too while I'm at it.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 03-13-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 PM

DO NOT GET THE ONES WITH THE ARROWS! I can't yell that loud enough. Those are the Fuze "+"'s but should actually be considered "Fuze-". Sorry to hear about the wheel problems, I hope you get it worked out, I loved my original Fuze until it became too unstable and lost all the songs I put on the internal memory. Bought the "+" to replace it and while the original GUI is better, IMHO, the touchpad is HORRIBLE. Rockboxing the "+" made it tolerable, but not something I love to use like the original Fuze and I, as much as I would like Sandisk to come out with a new Fuze without a touchpad, I discourage as many as I can from getting the Fuze+ because even with RB the interface is bad.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Bullshit. Please pardon my original rudeness but I disagree that strongly. The Fuze+ with Rockbox is quite usable for me. It's true I've never loved any DAP so no doubt my opinion will be different.

Last edited by skip252; 03-13-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Corrected inappropriate language used to disgree

Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The Fuze+ with Rockbox is quite usable for me.
I have two Fuze+s running Rockbox.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I consider the Fuze+ with Rockbox "tolerable". But I have enough players that I don't have to use it.....it sits there on my desk, waiting for the proverbial rainy day.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:51 AM

Default How does the Wheel work?

Greetings Group and thanks for the replies...

Does the wheel pop off from the outside? Could I pop it off from the outside and clean things and then put the wheel back? Or is the wheel an external manager of something deeper inside? As stated before, I'm not gonna try to "open" this player that has no screws.

Again, I can't say how much I love this Sansa Fuze as almost the PERFECT MP3 PLAYER!!! With the possibility adding space with a Micro Card, the only thing that would make it better is if you could pop in an AAA battery instead of charging. Then it would theoretically last FOREVER!!!

I have two other brands of mp3 players, that at best have 2 gig space, but run on a single AAA battery and should go forever- but the ability to add space on the Sansa Fuze is a big deal!

Again, what would be the best "current" replacement out there? Even if it's not another Sansa Fuze? (Maybe there is none?) Are the "ARROW" model substitutions REALLY that bad??? And am I correct that you can still add MicroCard space to them?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Does the wheel pop off from the outside? Could I pop it off from the outside and clean things and then put the wheel back? Or is the wheel an external manager of something deeper inside? As stated before, I'm not gonna try to "open" this player that has no screws.

Again, I can't say how much I love this Sansa Fuze as almost the PERFECT MP3 PLAYER!!! With the possibility adding space with a Micro Card, the only thing that would make it better is if you could pop in an AAA battery instead of charging. Then it would theoretically last FOREVER!!!

I have two other brands of mp3 players, that at best have 2 gig space, but run on a single AAA battery and should go forever- but the ability to add space on the Sansa Fuze is a big deal!

Again, what would be the best "current" replacement out there? Even if it's not another Sansa Fuze? (Maybe there is none?) Are the "ARROW" model substitutions REALLY that bad??? And am I correct that you can still add MicroCard space to them?
The best replacement would be a Sansa Clip Zip or Sport

Old 03-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
The scroll wheel does appear to be the Achilles heel of these players.

A few months ago mine started to send a burst of static through the phones and freeze the firmware whenever I would press the lower [Menu] section of the wheel. I'd dropped it once or twice on hard surfaces, so possibly a bit of of something broke loose and lodged under the wheel. I opened the case and shot canned air through the wheel (without removing it's thin plastic inner cover) and fortunately this fixed the scroll wheel button.

Unfortunately when I opened the case I managed to break about half of the clips so it no longer closes tightly. The teardown instructions on the web don't actually explain how to open the clips without damaging them. Apparently its necessary to pry the case open just far enough to pass a thin tool in a few millimeters in order to press against and release each clip. If you just pry the back of the case off as I did the clips break.

My player works fine again for now, but it's sure not looking so great with tape holding it together. Maybe I'll buy a non working one for its case, if I can find one that looks good, and replace the battery too while I'm at it.
Would a silicon case hold it together for you?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
Would a silicon case hold it together for you?
Or perhaps one of the hard plastic "crystal" snap cases (like this and this), which are rigid and fit snugly?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Or perhaps one of the hard plastic "crystal" snap cases (like this and this), which are rigid and fit snugly?
Thanks for the suggestions. Though small pieces of tape on three corners hold it together fine, I might just give one of these shells a try. I don't want to add much bulk to it though.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:

No. You can't remove the wheel without opening the case. Opening isn't actually hard with the appropriate tools. I managed to mess it up a bit because the instructions weren't clear. It's worth a try though, if you're ready to buy a replacement anyway.

I'd agree, your only good replacement choices are the Clip Zip and Sport. I still prefer the Clip Plus, but coming from a Fuze you might not be happy with it's minimalist screen.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:03 AM

Greetings Group! Thanx for all the comments so far...

So far I'm looking at the 8gig Sansa Clip Zip at Best Buy or Amazon online for $49.99. Free shipping at either place. I will eventually have some "points" at Best Buy on my card to turn into a gift certificate. But can't think of any other kind of coupons or discounts. They have one in my local brick and mortar Best Buy- also for $49.

I saw an idea in another post (here, I think) What about getting a 4 gig for $20 less, then spending that $20 on a 32gig or 64gig micro card? (Which some are as low as $5-$10 on Amazon.) That would take me from the 16 gig total I now have, to at least 36 gigs (or more) and I bet I could put every MP3 I have on there! And save some money on the purchase. (But will probably got with the 8gig!)

Wow, an original-ish FUZE with wheel just on Ebay- had 58 bids(!) and went for $85.00!!!

I see there is a "SANSA FUZE" with about the same size (original) screen as mine on Amazon- a bit much for $109- presume the screen size is the only difference? Clip Zip OR Sport is gonna have a MUCH smaller screen than my FUZE. But I just need it to see titles, not video or JPEGS. So thinking I can live with the size change. (???)

I still don't think I'm brave enuf to open my old Fuze, but the HARD PLASTIC CASE or silicone case is a GREAT idea to contain it- if one did! Will a SILICONE CASE go on a CLIP ZIP???

Looked at one of the illustrated open case posts and STILL can't get an idea how the WHEEL works... There is mention of a RIBBON(???)

I WD40'd my sticking Fuze wheel again. It didn't do much. Is there any way WD40 is going to get to the internal wheel components? And is there as much DANGER- as possible help in doing so?

I'm brainstorming an idea of putting a kind of "nub" on my sticky wheel on the old FUZE- boring a slight indentation with a dremel and super gluing a tiny knob of some sort- that would allow me to better keep the wheel turning. Will post if that goes well.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Bullshit. Please pardon my original rudeness but I disagree that strongly. The Fuze+ with Rockbox is quite usable for me. It's true I've never loved any DAP so no doubt my opinion will be different.
Skip, it is all in how you use it. Even RB'd, it still is a PITA to use for me. The click and scroll wheel were so much easier that I did not always have to look at the Fuze to work it. I find that even when I look at the + and touch it where I want to make it do what I need it to do, it does unpredictable things and it is so inconsistent. I can literally touch the same exact spot 2 different times and get two different reactions (maddening while trying to scroll through a list of songs, hit the up or down in the exact same spot, one time it goes up or down and the next it selects the song and starts playing it ) from the Fuze+ and that is with RB. If Sansa could take the remaining Fuze+ stock, pull out the internals and put them in a new case with ClipZip controls, it would nearly be perfect with the OF, IMHO.

If it weren't for the smaller screen and less internal memory, I would already have jumped to a ClipZip. The problem is that even with all of its warts the Fuze+ fills the exact niche I need it to, right now, that I am having a hard time figuring out which direction I should go for my next dedicated mp3 player.

Usually, I would think I am in the minority in my opinion, however, reading so many negative reviews on the Fuze+ on sites throughout the 'net, I feel that there are far more people who would agree with me, in general. I would agree that here on these forums, I am in the minority. Not many of the general public would be willing to go through RB'ing their +'s and even then I doubt the if someone were to sell Fuze +'s pre-RB'd to the general public, the reception would be much different than the OEM +'s.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I see there is a "SANSA FUZE" with about the same size (original) screen as mine on Amazon- a bit much for $109- presume the screen size is the only difference?
The SanDisk Fuze is very different from the SanDisk Fuze+. Screen size is not the only difference. The Fuze+ has a touchpad instead of the Fuze’s thumbwheel. Individuals who have owned both tend to prefer the Fuze over the Fuze+ by a wide margin. I, however, like the Fuze+ for its larger screen and longer battery life.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Greetings Group! Thanx for all the comments so far...

So far I'm looking at the 8gig Sansa Clip Zip at Best Buy or Amazon online for $49.99. Free shipping at either place. I will eventually have some "points" at Best Buy on my card to turn into a gift certificate. But can't think of any other kind of coupons or discounts. They have one in my local brick and mortar Best Buy- also for $49.

I saw an idea in another post (here, I think) What about getting a 4 gig for $20 less, then spending that $20 on a 32gig or 64gig micro card? (Which some are as low as $5-$10 on Amazon.) That would take me from the 16 gig total I now have, to at least 36 gigs (or more) and I bet I could put every MP3 I have on there! And save some money on the purchase. (But will probably got with the 8gig!)

Wow, an original-ish FUZE with wheel just on Ebay- had 58 bids(!) and went for $85.00!!!

I see there is a "SANSA FUZE" with about the same size (original) screen as mine on Amazon- a bit much for $109- presume the screen size is the only difference? Clip Zip OR Sport is gonna have a MUCH smaller screen than my FUZE. But I just need it to see titles, not video or JPEGS. So thinking I can live with the size change. (???)

I still don't think I'm brave enuf to open my old Fuze, but the HARD PLASTIC CASE or silicone case is a GREAT idea to contain it- if one did! Will a SILICONE CASE go on a CLIP ZIP???

Looked at one of the illustrated open case posts and STILL can't get an idea how the WHEEL works... There is mention of a RIBBON(???)

I WD40'd my sticking Fuze wheel again. It didn't do much. Is there any way WD40 is going to get to the internal wheel components? And is there as much DANGER- as possible help in doing so?

I'm brainstorming an idea of putting a kind of "nub" on my sticky wheel on the old FUZE- boring a slight indentation with a dremel and super gluing a tiny knob of some sort- that would allow me to better keep the wheel turning. Will post if that goes well.
To get my stuck Fuze wheel to work, I took a paper towel and wet it. I then squeezed out the excess water. I rubbed a bar of Ivory soap on the wet paper towel several times. I had a spare dry paper towel handy, then turned the player upside down and wiped the wheel. Itried to turn the wheel, wiped it again, and repeated this until the wheel moved decently. I did this all with the player upside down, wiping the wheel from the bottom.
After the wheel moved decently, I wiped it with the dry paper towel, rotated it some more, then wiped it again with the dry paper towel. Then I turned it upright, and it worked decently. Make sure not to get much soapy water into the wheel, and to remove the excess before turning the player upright.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
No. You can't remove the wheel without opening the case. Opening isn't actually hard with the appropriate tools. I managed to mess it up a bit because the instructions weren't clear. It's worth a try though, if you're ready to buy a replacement anyway.

I'd agree, your only good replacement choices are the Clip Zip and Sport. I still prefer the Clip Plus, but coming from a Fuze you might not be happy with it's minimalist screen.
I've been using a Fuze+ for the last several years, and before that the e270 - together those two players have been my portable players for the better part of the last decade. I've noticed that the bulk of my usage occurs while walking my dog, and while I'm perfectly capable of seeing the screen, I rely almost entirely on (Rockbox) voice navigation. I am a tinkerer by nature and routinely update themes to my current tastes, but rarely actually USE the screen for actual audio playback.

So - when/if my player needs replacement someday I might actually give up the screen for the current Rockbox'ed Clip-of-the-day.