android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Default ZEN Vision M Recovery mode doesn't format, clean up or anything

Hi everyone, I own a Creative ZEN Vision:M 30gb bought in 2006, I haven't used it anymore in the last two years becuase the battery was dead; now I want to use it again and I ordered a replacement battery on ebay which is expected to be delivered soon.

However I have another problem now: if I plug the power adapter the player turns on but after staying for a while on the ZEN logo it goes to recovery mode (the last time i tried it a few months ago, I had to use it with power supply plugged in because of the battery bat the player worked as always).

I tried all the options listed in recovery mode but none of them can complete... a message says the operation is going on but it stays there forever.

The PC can see the player if I plug it and the ZEN in recovery mode says "Docked".

However, the PC says it only has 50mb of total storage and if I try to upgrade the firmware (I downloaded the last firmware available from creative website) the upgrading software correctly sees my ZEN, it also recognise the current firmware version installed and when I click "upgrade" the operation starts but when the bar is almost full it just stays there forever, so the upgrading is not complete and the firmware is still the old one.

I also downloaded the Mp3 Player recovery tool (software made by creative that should fix almost every software/firmware problem of the player) and it correctly sees the player and the current firmware version but it just automatically downloads the last firmware available and tries to upgrade the player but of course the operation can't complete because I already tryed that manually.

I really don't know what to do anymore.

Would a new HDD fix the problem? I was considering upgrading to a 100GB Toshiba MK1011GAH but I don't want to waste money... and if I decide to buy it, what should I do once installed in the player (as there would be no firmware at all since the HDD is empty)?

Can you please help me? Any advice is welcome. Thank You!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 AM

It indeed sounds like a HDD problem, but I'd wait until the new battery was installed and charged up to minimize all variables.

You don't have to worry about the new drive being empty, the firmware updater hooks into data stored on the logic board (EEPROM) and goes from there - hence all the happy >60GB upgraders, myself included. Just remember to be wary of drives with Apple logos as most (though, not all) are firmware locked to only work with iPods.

Best of luck.
Nokia Lumia 822 16GB+64GB

Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 PM

My ZEN is back to life!!!

Yesterday I recived the battery and today I installed it... without having to do anything the player turned on correctly and started to play music!

All of the albums, images and videos I loaded on it 5-3 years ago were still there!

Thank you very much for your help, I'm so happy!