android
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Default Safest way to upgrade from Android 2.2.2

I have the YP-G70CW/TTT version of the 5.0 player. It was originally sold on woot.com and is believed to be a Caribbean version. It has the physical home key and runs Android 2.2.2.

I would like to upgrade to a newer version of Android without sacrificing features that are important to me such as Bluetooth and the camera. I can live with losing the compass feature.

I have successfully rooted the device with Super One Click, and that was the most technologically nerve wracking thing I have ever done. I have tried looking for advice on xda-developers and 90% of the posts are too technologically complex for me to understand.

So, I turn to all of you for assistance. What is the most stable ROM upgrade that is available for this device, and where do I find the applicable files? Please make sure the upgrade files are accompanied with instructions in either video or picture form so that I can follow step-by-step.

What types of backup should I perform prior to attempting the upgrade - Kies backup? Titanium backup (which I have installed)? or both?

Thank you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

SanchezHacker made an easy-to-follow tutorial a while ago. You should refer to his guide.

w ww.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68294

Kies backup (from what I know) is useless. Back up the apps that you've installed (or w/ data you want to keep) with Titanium. Once you've flashed the new ROM, you should have CWM, a really good backup program that saves everything on your device. Make a backup of your device with that program after flashing your new ROM.

Follow the instructions to the letter. Do not skip or change any steps, otherwise bad things may follow. Not unrecoverable- not likely- but really annoying things.

The ROM/kernel you'll have (ie Eryigit) will be fully-functional (ie BT, camera, etc). You can keep that or flash another Gingerbread ROM without dismay (everything's working); I'll suggest Chip's ROM.

You can further upgrade to ICS/JB and basically have full functionality (the back camera on the JB ROM doesn't save photos unless you use the Fast Burst camera app), but upgrading can get dicey and requires some tech. competency (ie the ability to understand the basics of what they're saying on XDA).

***********And you'll want to double-check, but I believe you'll need the files for the INTERNATIONAL version (definitely NOT the US version and probably not the Korean version). Double-check otherwise it'll get REALLY annoying.*************

Good luck and I am in no way responsible for anything that may happen to your device (though unlikely IF you follow instructions).

Old 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Thank you for your courteous advice.

Do I need to perform what is called a nandroid backup, in addition to the titanium backup, before attempting this upgrade?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 PM

And a few additional questions, if I may, please:

I have found two Eryigit ROMs:

Eryigit Custom ROM -Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0- GingerBread-2.3.6 G70ZCKPA Version 3.0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1465144

and

Eryigit Custom ROM GingerBread-2.3.6 G70XXKPH Release 1.5
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1579774

What is the difference between the two. I know I need to use the international version and not the USA version, but what is G70ZCKPA and what is G70XXKPH?

And do I remove the external SD card or do I leave it in the device while upgrading?

Thank you.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 PM

And I have now found a non-Eryigit ROM which appears suitable and newer:

G70XXKPL Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread
http://androidromupdate.com/2012/05/...-3-6-firmware/

Which is the appropriate ROM for me and why?

Thank you.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

First, I would always do a nand backup, that's my own personal opinion and most people agree, you'll want that to fall back on.

Well, I always used Eryigit, I really liked it/its kernel for technical reasons. He did a nifty thing with the kernel where it changes charging speeds based upon how charged the battery is designed to increase battery life for example. Without reading far into it (I've been out of the game for a while because I liked my setup and didn't feel like changing more, then I got a Galaxy S4 and kinda abandoned my SGP...) it appears that the G70ZCKPA is simply less customized? I really don't know.

But basically you just need to read the list of features and see if anything pops out as something you really want. It's kind of a personal decision and one isn't going to be strictly better than another, generally. Best of luck man, I really hope you don't fuck it up haha took me a few hours to perfect what I wanted.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 AM

Default Thank you.

I would like to thank both of you who attempted to help me.

Based on the suggestion to perform a nandroid backup, I installed the ROM Manager app. However, ROM manager would not let me install Clockwork Mod, informing me that the YP-G70 was an unsupported device.

I performed a backup with Titanium. As a secondary backup, I copied many of my data files to by desktop hard drive. I downloaded the Eryigit G70XXKPH, version 1.5 and Odin3, version 1.87.

I followed the instructions that you linked me to from SanchezHacker. Odin produced a red FAIL light and the message, "Can't open the serial (COM) port." While waiting for the device to reboot, Odin produced a green PASS light which appeared together with the FAIL light.

When the device rebooted, I had upgraded to Android 2.3.6 with the r13 kernel (whatever that means).

I did not have to wipe my data. I did not have to reinstall any programs. All features appear to work.

Do I need to side load a suitable version of Clockworkmod so that ROM manager and future nandroid backups will work? If so, where do I find that version?

And I thank you both for your assistance as it appears that everything is working and nothing bad has yet appeared to happen to the device.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 PM

ROM manager, atleast to my knowledge, not sure just how different the 5.0 is from the 4.0, does not work on our players, you get CWM as part of the r13 kernel.

Generally speaking there are 2 ways to get CWM (and ROMs) onto the SGP line and it depends on the format the ROM download is in.

1. (what appears to be your case) the ROM is in a "Odin flashable" .tar so you install the samsung drivers on the PC, download Odin, put the player in download mode and do what your supposed to do in Odin to flash, at this point you now have both a custom ROM and Kernel, and the kernel includes CWM.

2. Use Odin to flash a custom Kernel that is in a .tar format, then boot into CWM (volume up + power) then from withing CWM make a nand backup and proceed to install a ROM .zip file following instructions to the letter for that ROM.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yea, CWM was in what you flashed. Honestly, you may want to wipe the phone and dalvik cache like is suggested. The first time I flashed a ROM I didn't do that and wound up having some apps stop working after a week or so. Obviously enough time has gone by at this point that you would have run into that based upon my experience.