android
Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Unhappy With no battery installed Rockbox shuts Clip+ down after 20 seconds

My battery leaked so I removed it and cleaned up the device. I planned to hook it up to my amp in the garage and run it off of USB power only.

Problem is, Rockbox shuts down the player after about 20 seconds and will not respond until unplugging and replugging the USB.

This will happen while I'm going through the menus. My idle shutdown time is listed as 60 minutes and my LCD screen is set for 10s while plugged in.

The standard firmware doesn't have this problem.

Does anyone know how to get around this issue?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2013, 01:21 PM

Additional info -

The Micro SD card doesn't seem to stay available after hooked up to the computer under USB MSC.

I guess the hardware demands a battery be installed.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Theres probably a hack possible where you disable the battery voltage monitoring. Probably seeing an open circuit on the battery terminals makes it think that battery is completely dead and triggers an emergency power off.

The other alternative would be to connect 4 volts to the battery terminals so it looks like a battery is there.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.gi...f2abd6;hb=HEAD

I think this is where it checks for too low of a voltage. But I'm not certain, you might need to experiment. The only players I've tried have refused to even boot without a battery installed, so I have no experience here.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Theres probably a hack possible where you disable the battery voltage monitoring. Probably seeing an open circuit on the battery terminals makes it think that battery is completely dead and triggers an emergency power off.

The other alternative would be to connect 4 volts to the battery terminals so it looks like a battery is there.
Thanks for the tips. While you folks were typing, I was on the same track.

Here's an old Axim X51v cell double-side stick taped to the back. I snipped off the plastic terminal protection grid and soldered up the +, T, and - pads to red, blue, and black connections on the PCB of the protection circuit on the cell. I cut a slot in the bottom of the back cover to pass the wires.

For some reason, it shows that it's charging but the battery level never does. So I pulled off the Kapton tape and use the charging cradle for the battery instead.

Last edited by EngrPaul; 07-21-2013 at 10:07 AM.