android
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Rockbox Clip+ not saving playlist

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I choose the save current playlist command, give it a name, and give a long press on select. When I go to playlist catalogue, it says no files! I'm using build 3.13.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Check the full path of the playlist you're saving when you are in the virtual keyboard. It needs to point to an existing directory. I create a folder "Playlists" on the external memory and use that. That way when I save playlists using an external software the file paths are right.

That just me though. You can designate any directory as the playlist directory using the context menu http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x7-410004.1.2

Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. In the context menu it says reset playlist catalog directory, and when I click on it, it just says cleared. I don't see any place I can specify the playlist catalog directory.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Highlight any existing directory to make it the focus of the context menu. You can also use the context menu to create a new directory then highlight that.

Long <Enter> to open the context menu for the highlighted directory. The second option is Playlist catalog. <Enter> to open that option. => Set As Playlist Catalog Directory. That makes that directory the save location for your playlists. Clearing the Playlist category setting rests the playlist save location to a directory named Playlists at the root of the internal memory.

TBH though I'm also thinking there may be something else you're not doing. If it doesn't exist the Playlists directory should be created in the internal memory when you save a playlist for the first time. At least that's how it works for me ever since the rewrite of playlist handling that happened a couple of years ago.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks! I finally got it to work! This was so confusing without the explicit instructions you gave me. Even then, it was easy to mess up, but I finally got it to work!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Not a problem trying to help someone that's tried helping themselves first. The way your question was phrased let me know you had tried the directions in the manual but there was something that just wasn't clicking.

If you haven't already you may also want to look at creating a custom keyboard http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/LoadableKeyboardLayouts. I've found that using a larger font and eliminating the characters I never use makes the virtual keyboard much easier to use.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM

Bump. I am having trouble with this also, and I have gone over the manual and done numerous online searches. I want to be able to copy songs to playlists as they are playing (similar to the Go List in orig firmware). I like to make personal 'best of' playlists by artists and also make playlists for specific situations, on the fly while I am listening. Can Rockbox do this?? Can you direct songs to various playlists as they are playing?

I use an external card so based on posts above I have created a "Playlist" folder on the card using the computer, and set it as Playlist Catalog Directory using the Context Menu. As the manual instructs, while a song is playing I long click the 'select' button, then click on Playlist Catalog, then Add to New Playlist. Then the "keyboard" comes up with a line under it, under which is "/<microSD1>/Playlists/.m3U8". I am not sure that the manual says what to do next, but I hit long select and it disappears so I assume that is what you are supposed to do. However, when I go back to the main menu and into the Playlist Catalog, it says "no files", and the Playlist folder I made on the card is empty!!

I have probably tried this 50 times. I checked on the computer with the player connected and I DO see a M3U8 text file in the Playlist folder on the card which contains the name of the song ("/<microSD1>/Meat Puppets-Forbidden Places (1991)/03 - This Day.mp3"). How do I get it to show up in a playlist on the player so I can play it from the playlist (and add more songs to the playlist)???

Any help is really appreciated. I have an engineering degree and am not an idiot and can usually figure equipment out pretty easily, but I am no programmer and only use folders for music (as opposed to playlists and tags and itunes), and this Rockbox system is not intuitive to me at all.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Administrator

In the same way you would need to provide a name for any other file you need to use the virtual keyboard to name the playlist before you long Enter.
Code:
/<microSD1>/Playlists/.m3U8
isn't a name, it's a location and an extension. Without a name there's no playlist file that can be written.
Code:
/<microSD1>/Playlists/name of playlist you've entered.m3U8
can be written.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
In the same way you would need to provide a name for any other file you need to use the virtual keyboard to name the playlist before you long Enter.
Code:
/<microSD1>/Playlists/.m3U8
isn't a name, it's a location and an extension. Without a name there's no playlist file that can be written.
Code:
/<microSD1>/Playlists/name of playlist you've entered.m3U8
can be written.
great, thanks. I'll double check but I think the manual needs to be updated to make that clear.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Administrator

You're probably right. The last time I looked the manual still hadn't been updated since the Playlist Catalog function was reworked a couple of years back. That's a shame because it works so much better now. It would be nice if users could refer to it and find how simple it is now vs. the way it was before.