android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM
tawandapro tawandapro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Unhappy Samsung galaxy 5.0 problems. Should i considering replacing it?

Hello there i posted before asking for advice on a good pmp. i decided that i will not give up on my galaxy player 5.0 and will try to repair it however i need your help on diagnosis.

Here are my observations:
1. it was working fine the night before it started playing up
2. the next day when i tried to charge it (it was at 20% charge) it refused to charge and did not show it was charging. (tried with different compatible chargers)
3. when i switched it off it refused to turn back on when i tried to restart it and later that day, it switched on at its own accord and still refused to charge.
4. i reset it to manufaturer specs and still wouldn't budge
5. after connecting it to a pc it started to charge although it was not being recognised by the pc.
6. i then connected it to the stock charger it came with and it started charging. but is charged from 0% to 45% in 40 min. It is supposed to take 3hrs to fully charge.

is it because the battery is faulty? if so, where can i get one? or should i invest in the cowon X7? the 5.8 is too expensive but im still undecided.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,240
Default

No idea with how to diagnose your problem. My SGP 4.0 hasn't given me any problems so I haven't needed to look into troubleshooting it.

There's info on changing the battery of a 5.0 here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=72013. The last post has a link to a couple of places to get the battery. I'd hold off on ordering one and wait a while to see if someone more knowledgeable has other solutions you could try.

Personally I'd try letting it take a full charge and see what happens. Remember that advice is from someone that admits they really don't know much about dealing with problems in this situation. Feel free to ignore it and wait for someone to chime in that knows more.

Best of luck in getting it up and going again.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 PM
tawandapro tawandapro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Default

I found this one on ebay. quite expensive but is it worth it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-Origi...item1e7b0be561
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
tawandapro tawandapro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Default

right now its at 65% has been charging for 1hr and 19min. Thanks skip252
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawandapro View Post
I found this one on ebay. quite expensive but is it worth it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-Origi...item1e7b0be561
If, repeat if, you discover a new battery is needed I'd look for another source. Anytime a vendor spends that much time assuring you they aren't selling phonies or knockoffs it raises a red flag for me. It makes me wonder how often they've had to deal with accusations of doing something shady in the past.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM
tawandapro tawandapro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If, repeat if, you discover a new battery is needed I look for another source. Anytime a vendor spends that much time assuring you they aren't selling phonies or knockoffs it raises a red flag for me. It makes me wonder how often they've had to deal with accusations of doing something shady in the past.
Thanks. i will wait till the battery is charged then i will see if a new one is needed. Thanks for your help. i really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 AM
tawandapro tawandapro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Default

it took 3 hours to charge like it should. which rules out that the battery may be worn out. Another problem that has arisen is that it won't turn on like it does. i have to hold the on button for about 8 seconds. then a battery icon shows up, then i press the on button again to actually boot it up. while using it it is a bit sluggish. im guessing its the OS. so i will try to re-download and install android 2.3. any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 08-03-2013, 01:25 PM
steinburger1109's Avatar
steinburger1109 steinburger1109 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 2,456
Default

A reset like you thought is probably a good place to start. Mine was doing a funky thing where the screen would just turn on and off while it was off but plugged in and under those conditions wouldn't charge. So I reflashed my ROM just for the hell of it and it went away. Sounds like you might have an issue that could be fixed with the same method.
__________________
- Justin
Glossary for Newbies Everybody
Babble. On.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM
NXTreme NXTreme is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
Default

It is normal for batteries such as these to charge up to 70% in the first hour, and then take another 2-3 hours for the other 30%. I have noticed that the battery meter on my 4.0 isn't always completely accurate. If I reboot it I often notice a decrease by ~20% in charge, even though a reboot only takes a minute or two.

I would say that a factory reset is a good idea. I've installed Steve's ROM on my 4.0 twice now, but each time it slows down so badly, and discharges much more quickly, that both times I've re-installed the original ROM. Then it's back to normal.
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 rooted + 32 GB Samsung uSD - Samsung T10 Bright Lime Green 4GB - Sansa Clip+ Black 4GB minus screen - SanDisk DAP 512 MB (modified to take two AAs instead of one AAA) - KITSOUND KSDJ headphones - SoundMAGIC E10 IEMs
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXTreme View Post
It is normal for batteries such as these to charge up to 70% in the first hour, and then take another 2-3 hours for the other 30%. I have noticed that the battery meter on my 4.0 isn't always completely accurate. If I reboot it I often notice a decrease by ~20% in charge, even though a reboot only takes a minute or two.

I would say that a factory reset is a good idea. I've installed Steve's ROM on my 4.0 twice now, but each time it slows down so badly, and discharges much more quickly, that both times I've re-installed the original ROM. Then it's back to normal.
Steves ROM, wow, just wow, you really need to get over to XDA there are MANY more choices nowadays, we even have a CM10.2 (android 4.3) for the 4.0 now.

But yeah I see that weird drop after a reboot and if you leave it sitting screen off it will often recover most of that drop, not all but like half, I know my battery looses charge at a faster rate between 70% and 40% (give or take) then it does from say 100% to 90%, like it will drop from 70 to 40 under the same amount of use as 100 to 90.
__________________
Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi (USA)
Running STeVEs custom Kernel
and Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
steinburger1109's Avatar
steinburger1109 steinburger1109 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 2,456
Default

As a matter of fact, since you bring up how batteries charge, NXTreme, I think it might be prudent to let you know that with these devices, the battery meter while charging will read higher than it actually is. It isn't rare for me to unplug mine when it says, say, 80% and then withing minutes be down to 70 or 65%. It isn't exactly a malfunction, just the way the devices work. Something I've also noticed is that if I leave it charging to 100%, immediately upon unplugging it drops to 95%, and shortly after to 90%. If I then plug it back in, it will climb to 100% and stay there, but I actually like this because I try to keep my battery between 10-90%, as is healthiest for modern batteries.
__________________
- Justin
Glossary for Newbies Everybody
Babble. On.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 AM
huntos huntos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10
Default

I am not sure, have you ever been to a store to repair it?
How long have you used this phone?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
battery life problems, galaxy, galaxy player, galaxy player 5.0, problems with

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.