android
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Lightbulb Turns on accidentally every day

I am curremtly listening to The Origins of Species. And every time I put the player away or in my small bag pocket, it somehow turns on. I think that the power button is to easy to push or something. This is a really big problem for me, because I really love the player, but this design mistake makes me want to buy another mp3 player. It always turns itself on, and starts playing the audio book. So I have too use a lot of time to seach for the place where I was at before in the book.

My HTC mobile has a swype feuture, so it never turns itself on. Can I make my Rockboxed Clip+ turn on only by pressing 2 buttons at once? Or do you have another solution. The problem bothers me a lot, because listening to audio books is one of the highlights of my day.

I am just so mad and sad right now! Help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting problem. I don't recall any of my Clip products turning on accidentally. But then I don't use Rockbox. Does it have a modified on/off capability?

Steve

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've never had that issue, but this is where a case for the Clip could come in handy--either one of those silicone cases or a (bigger) case to carry the player in (like a small SD card case). A bunch of years ago an online company was selling small neoprene zippered cases, emblazoned with the SanDisk name, just slightly bigger than a Clip player--great for carrying a Clip in (and I wish that I had purchased a bunch! they were only a dollar or 2, plus shipping).

Last edited by Mikerman; 08-06-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Redneck Moderator

Is it staying on after you charge it? I know mine always stayed on after I unplugged it which cause the battery to die before I used it. I hated the clip because of this and its terrible battery life.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 08-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Is it staying on after you charge it? I know mine always stayed on after I unplugged it which cause the battery to die before I used it. I hated the clip because of this and its terrible battery life.
Not only does it turn on when I charge it. But it starts playing the audiobook again, and not from where I left it. It goes back to the start of the chapter.

I should get a case. But it even turns on when I put it down on the table. It's not sensitiv it's just a normal Clip+. But I think that it would be better, if I had to push 2 buttons to turn it on instead of just one. And if I could just charge it, without it turning itself on. That would be great. God dammit, I hate this problem.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Redneck Moderator

Have you tried putting rockbox on it? I never did as I just gave my clip to my little sister soon as it pissed me off twice.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Administrator

===Moved To the Rockbox Clip forum.===

If it turns on when you put it on a table that seems to indicate a hardware problem. I've dealt with dozens of Rockboxed Clips of every type and have never known it to make a player more or less prone to turn on by itself or at a slight touch.

When I've used the OF the power setting reliably turns it off at the set time. The idle power off can also be set in Rockbox. That turns it off after a preset time if there's no keypresses within a the time you set. That can be as little as one minute. You can also set the sleep timer to start at power up and shut down after it runs for the preset time. You can set the timer to reset each time you touch a button if you want.

If it's not restarting at the same place you need to set your Bookmarking settings. You can have that in a number of ways to take you back to the spot in the file you were listening to without having to hunt for the place you were at last. Autoresume also can be set to help with that.

There may be a way to pull the source and create a multiple keypress combo to power it up, idk. You can check in over at the Rockbox forums and see if one of the developers can point you at where in the code you would need to modify.