android
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Default Volume and Battery Indicator

Hello All,

I have a new Clip Zip which I Rockboxed before use, the theme I am using is 'Blu' (I prefer large album art) but it will not show the Battery/Volume info as numbers ie 100%, despite going into the display menu's to set it to, for my Fuse I have the SpartanBlack theme and that theme is perfect in my opinion would love that for the Clip Zip, any idea how I get the Clip Zip to show the Battery/Volume as numbers within the display, numbers are needed so I can set the right volume when in car and its easier to see when it has charged etc
Cheers
Phil

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Samsung Moderator

The volume and battery display settings will only work if a theme uses the default status bar.
If it has its own status bar, then there is nothing you can do except editing the code, which may be difficult.

I suggest you to choose another theme. For example mine has numeric volume and battery display. But not large album art sorry

Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM

OK thanks anyone know which theme for the Zip is closest to SpartanBlack ?

Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenpriest View Post
OK thanks anyone know which theme for the Zip is closest to SpartanBlack ?
You can glance through the various themes at the Rockbox.org themes page, and find the one you like best.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Can some clever person make SpartanBlack compatible with the Zip Clip ?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Samsung Moderator

Fuze and Clip Zip don't share the same screen resolution and ratio at all.

That's much work and I have no interest in it, sorry

Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Administrator

I suspect that clever person will most likely be the one you see when you look in a mirror.

I've noticed that theme authors are people who have a vision of how they would like the player to work for them and dig in to make that happen. If their vision of what makes a good theme doesn't match yours I wouldn't think it's likely they would spend much time creating one that matches your needs.

I won't say that it can't happen. I've seen before when a request like this has inspired someone to make an adaptation of theme they probably wouldn't have done otherwise. I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Hello Skip252, what theme do you use on the Clip zip or are you still using your Fuze ?

I think building themes is way beyond what I could do, the best I have done is make playlists with Foobar and a 64 card work due to yours and others great appreciated help here

(BTW I did the battery bench mark and got about 15 hours shuffling all tracks with the bitrate ogg vorbis level 5 to 8 is this good or bad ?)

Last edited by maidenpriest; 08-13-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Administrator

The display on the Clip Zip is so poor I decided to go with a theme doesn't use album art at all. I use Clock Lock 2 zip. The information available there and the lock screen that essentially turns it into a timepiece is more useful to me than the grainy album art.

Don't underestimate your ability to create or modify a theme. Everyone that's ever created one didn't know how when they got started. I haven't had the time to do it recently but I've made changes to several themes to make them work better for my uses.

You'll also find that those more experienced are very helpful once you get started. I see people ask questions both on rockbox irc and the Rockbox forums when they get stuck trying to get a theme to work just the way they prefer. As long as they're polite and show some knowledge of what they're doing they usually get help fairly quickly.

Your battery benchmark seems consistent with what I've got in the past. My results were somewhat longer but I suspect that may be due to me using a lower quality setting in my vorbis files. Files I've encoded at -q4 or -q3 are transparent to my ears, especially in a portable setting. I guessing what you've encoded to are transparent to you.

If that's the case I'd leave them as is and just live with the bit of loss in runtime. No sense in listening to files you don't like for a longer time is there?

If you are interested in trying to extend your runtime you can use foobar2000 and it's ABX Comparator plugin to check if lower quality settings will be transparent to your ears. If they are you may be able to have better battery life and put more files in the available space.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The display on the Clip Zip is so poor I decided to go with a theme doesn't use album art at all. I use Clock Lock 2 zip. The information available there and the lock screen that essentially turns it into a timepiece is more useful to me than the grainy album art.

Don't underestimate your ability to create or modify a theme. Everyone that's ever created one didn't know how when they got started. I haven't had the time to do it recently but I've made changes to several themes to make them work better for my uses.

You'll also find that those more experienced are very helpful once you get started. I see people ask questions both on rockbox irc and the Rockbox forums when they get stuck trying to get a theme to work just the way they prefer. As long as they're polite and show some knowledge of what they're doing they usually get help fairly quickly.

Your battery benchmark seems consistent with what I've got in the past. My results were somewhat longer but I suspect that may be due to me using a lower quality setting in my vorbis files. Files I've encoded at -q4 or -q3 are transparent to my ears, especially in a portable setting. I guessing what you've encoded to are transparent to you.

If that's the case I'd leave them as is and just live with the bit of loss in runtime. No sense in listening to files you don't like for a longer time is there?

If you are interested in trying to extend your runtime you can use foobar2000 and it's ABX Comparator plugin to check if lower quality settings will be transparent to your ears. If they are you may be able to have better battery life and put more files in the available space.
Thanks for the info will check it out

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM

hi mp,

im using bbw theme which does show battery and volume when you adjust it - but not album art - as im not sure its worth bothering with on this screen

cheers
dan

Old 08-15-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danx55 View Post
hi mp,

im using bbw theme which does show battery and volume when you adjust it - but not album art - as im not sure its worth bothering with on this screen

cheers
dan
Hello Dan Will check it out, thanks