android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze+

Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Cool Rockbox Theme: Googley (Fuze+ and iPod Classic)

Updated: August 22, 2013

Here's a Rockbox theme I made for the Fuze+ and the iPod Classic: Googley.

Recommended Rockbox revision: 193911a or later (please read this post)

It's a theme based on Google artwork and colors (six of them!). The While Playing Screen features essential metadata, fairly large album art, progress bar and playback indicators. SBS (menu screen) features current playing song, with miniature album art. FM Radio screen included. Top status bar displays volume (emphasized when > 0dB), HDD / flash storage activity (emphasized when active), and battery charge (emphasized when < 10%).

How to install: unpack the zip archive at the root of your Fuze+ or iPod Classic (tell your unpacking software to overwrite existing files). Then, load the theme, turn off your DAP and turn it back on. You only have to reboot once; after that, you can load any of the other five themes without rebooting.

Here's an overview of all six colors for the Fuze+ and the iPod Classic. Enjoy!

Last edited by skamp; 01-12-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: updated URLs

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks nice!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Looks nice!
I concur.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Very nice. The screen shots don't do it justice imo. The drop shadow for the AA is a killer effect to my eyes. Congrats on a job well done.

I also like that it's possible to increase the font and not lose information details in the WPS. I'm using Adobe Helvetica-21 and there's no overlap in any of the information lines. Nice to see a theme that allows the end user that type of adaptability by taking advantage of the available real estate on a decently large screen. My middle age eyes told me to pass along their thanks.

I've mostly been been using lebellium's Samsung like on my Fuze+. I've been having a ton of fun mixing and matching the WPS and other screens from his and your theme and I've come up with a couple of combos that are both very good looking and useful.

It's not that either of them really lacks anything. I just like messing around and seeing if I can come up with something that works a bit better for me than the original. Having two knockout themes like leb's and yours makes it fun and easy to play around and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for sharing. If the inspiration hits you do create something new I'll be sure to check it out.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Samsung Moderator

It looks nice indeed

If my theme did not exist, I would use this one and replace the "next song" line by File codec and bitrate

@skip252: I would be curious to see how your modified theme looks like!

Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Very nice. The screen shots don't do it justice imo. The drop shadow for the AA is a killer effect to my eyes. Congrats on a job well done.
Thanks

Quote:
I also like that it's possible to increase the font and not lose information details in the WPS. I'm using Adobe Helvetica-21 and there's no overlap in any of the information lines. Nice to see a theme that allows the end user that type of adaptability by taking advantage of the available real estate on a decently large screen. My middle age eyes told me to pass along their thanks.
That's actually a happy coincidence, I didn't do it on purpose. I'm surprised that such a big font gets displayed more or less correctly on my theme, considering that I only made the top bar text lines 16 pixels high.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. If the inspiration hits you do create something new I'll be sure to check it out.
Yeah, I'll post again whenever I come up with something new. I'm enjoying making Rockbox themes quite a bit, because it's easy enough, and I actually use them every day on my DAPs.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
If my theme did not exist, I would use this one and replace the "next song" line by File codec and bitrate
I actually replaced the codec and bitrate line with the "next song" line on a user request on my other theme, iBox. It makes sense for me, since I know how my files are encoded. There is only so much screen real estate, and a choice has to be made.

I don't think there's anything I can do about it on the Fuze+. On the iPod Classic theme, I could put the track number on the song title line, and thus free up one line to put the codec information on.

Suggestions are welcome. Updating 6 or 12 themes is going to be a royal pain in the ass, so I'll wait until I'm sure that there are enough significant changes to warrant a new release. Initially, I wanted to incorporate all 6 variants in the same zip file, but the Rockbox theme uploader form wouldn't let me.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:36 AM

Edit: I updated all the themes, with various alignment fixes, date and time fixes, HDD / flash storage emphasis, and metadata colors. The zips are available here: http://outpost.fr/rockbox/

I'll be a waiting a bit before uploading the updated themes on the Rockbox website, to see if I get any more suggestions.

Last edited by skamp; 08-18-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: updated URL

Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Sigh, Rockbox fonts suck. I've decided to revert to 14-Nimbus, as I feel that it's pretty much the only decent looking font.

On another note, a couple people have remarked that the colors of the icon set clash with the themes. I'd like more input on this. Which one do you prefer?

Colored icons?

Or grayscale icons?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Or this? (gray version of asianclip)

Old 08-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I'd say go with what you prefer. Making minor changes to icons and fonts is something someone that's really concerned can easily do. You've done the heavy lifting. If someone is interested in shifting some of the lightweight stuff around learning how to isn't very difficult and the mental exercise might inspire them to create something of their own.

I'd think in term of not being able to please everyone and making whatever changes are most pleasing to your eyes. What you have now shows a good eye for proportion and color. Putting that up for a vote isn't likely to improve on that imo. Design by committee usually winds up being blah at best.

There haven't been many themes that caused me to take a single look and say "Oh hell yeah, I'm going to be using that a LOT!". Having said that I'm still going to tweak it so it works better for my uses.

TBH, I prefer leb's WPS a bit more

When I combine that with your Storm color main menu in a larger font

The results gives me something I can see easily and provides all the essential info I need. As an old fart that uses a really large font the bottom info line needing to scroll is a small compromise I'm willing to make for better usability on the go and in sunlight.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM

I've worked on the themes a lot, I've made many cosmetic, but also functional, changes. I've also fixed a lot of bugs.

The main new feature is that the themes handle 3 different fonts, specifically: 14-Nimbus, 19-Nimbus, and 21-Adobe-Helvetica. If you use any of those fonts, everything will be properly aligned and sized. I chose 19-Nimbus because it's a large version of Nimbus (which I really feel is the best font), and 21-Adobe-Helvetica because it's the next "normal" large font. skip252 will be pleased!

Another feature is that when you pause the music, the album title line will be replaced by the release date (only on the Fuze+), and the "next song" line will be replaced with the codec name and bitrate. So if you really need that information, just pause the music, and press play again once you're done.

Yet another (minor) feature is that the battery indicator will be prepended with the "+" sign whenever the DAP is charging.

The rest is basically a lot of work fixing alignments and really weird Rockbox bugs. I think the themes are about as complete as they can be (relative to what I personally expect from them). I'm still open to suggestions though. I also kinda want to come up with new ideas for another theme

As for the icon sets, you can use differents ones from http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IconSets
I have personally uploaded a grayscale version of Tango_Small, and my modification of Asianclip, which the themes now use by default.

You can get the updated themes here: http://outpost.fr/rockbox/
I'll upload them on the Rockbox website later.

Last edited by skamp; 08-16-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: clarification about the release date line on the Fuze+ and Classic screenshot

Old 08-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Alright, I've made further changes. I've increased the size of the album art, and reduced the number of metadata lines, on both targets, in a fashion that I feel is a lot more balanced. I've updated the screenshots in the OP.

The Fuze+ theme now displays track number and title, artist name, and album title. By default, if the album title is short enough, the release date is displayed next to the album title. If the title is too long, only the album title is displayed. When you press pause, the last line will show the release date, as well as the codec name and bitrate.

That behavior can be changed without editing the theme files: by default, the themes set the "status bar" preference (in the theme settings menu) to "false". That has no incidence on the actual status bar however, as it is always disabled in the SBS/WPS/FMS anyway. But I use it as a simple way of changing the behavior of the WPS: if you manually change that setting to either "Top" or "Bottom", the release date will always be displayed next to the album title. Only the codec name and bitrate will be shown when pressing pause.

The iPod Classic themes alway display the release date and the codec name and bitrate on the last line.

On both the Fuze+ and the iPod Classic targets, pressing pause will also replace the artist line with the value of "album artist", if it is present (artist otherwise).

I've figured out a way to detect the font size and deal with that, instead of dealing with certain fonts specifically. Now, there are two sets of alignments and placements: one for font size <= 14, and another for sizes >= 15.

All the themes are meant to be used with either 14-Nimbus or 19-Nimbus, available in the Rockbox font pack, available here. Other fonts will work as well.

I know that some people prefer having tons of information displayed on screen, but I don't share that preference. Famous French aviator and writer/artist Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was quoted as saying, “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”. That's exactly how I feel. The result is visually pleasing to me, and I have pretty much all the information I need.

Again, the updated themes are available on http://outpost.fr/rockbox/. I'll update them on the Rockbox website later.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM

I've updated all themes on the Rockbox web site (Classic, Fuze+).

Instead of using the pause button to display alternative metadata, I now use the hold switch (power button on the Fuze+), since that doesn't alter playback, contrary to the pause button (obviously).

I've also changed the default artwork.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 AM

Well, I've been kind of silly. Here's an additional variant for both targets, "Clippy":

It's surprisingly readable though (high contrast). Maybe people with eyesight issues will have a use for them.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I like the Grayfog and Clippy themes on the Fuze+ (I gave them top ratings), and I am installing the Clippy theme on my 5.5G iPod Video as well.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 AM

Contrary to most themes, I think the Clippy variants look better on the actual devices than in the screenshots. That's what I'm using now. Looks wicked on my Fuze+ and my iPod Classic.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
Contrary to most themes, I think the Clippy variants look better on the actual devices than in the screenshots. That's what I'm using now. Looks wicked on my Fuze+ and my iPod Classic.
It really is nice on the Fuze+. I haven't seen what it looks like on the iPod Video because I'm reloading it with music, and loading an 80GB device takes quite a long time.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:57 AM

I've updated all the themes with fixes for two small pixel errors in the top bar and the progress bar.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
I've updated all the themes with fixes for two small pixel errors in the top bar and the progress bar.
My Clippy themed iPod 5.5G is frozen with the USB connect screen on it, after I plugged it into the PC to charge. I did not install your recent update to the theme yet....after I had installed the theme originally, I had always used an AC wall charger with the iPod, up until today. So I guess that first version must break USB somehow.

After the battery runs dead, I'll plug it into the wall unit to charge long enough to select a different theme, and then I'll install the latest revision and see how that works.

Tags
fuze+, ipod classic, rockbox, theme