android
Old 08-15-2013, 05:44 AM

Default replayGain with foobar?

hi guys,

just looking at sorting the replaygain for my CZ tunes, but not sure of the best way to do it :/ does the RG need to be calculated by album, or the setting that treats all tracks as a single album?

thanks
dan

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Drop the files into a playlist and select which you prefer. I always choose "Scan selection as albums(by tags)". That lets you scan multiple albums at the same time instead of needing to sure the only files in the scan list are from the same album. Both the track and album RG values will be calculated and be available to be written to the correct files regardless of the album it belongs to.

Be sure to just write the tags to the files instead of applying them to the files if they are MP3. Applying the changes to the files permanently alters the files and isn't reversible the same way writing a tag is. There's a warning about doing that, just letting you know not to do that unless you have a backup copy.

Using the tags in Rockbox is fairly simple. The default setting is set to use the track gain if shuffling. As a person that listens to mostly playlists and not complete albums that works best for me. A person that listens mostly to complete albums will probably prefer the album volume setting.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM

hi skip.
cool, many thanks for the reply.
I'm generally listening to play lists I've created on the CZ from a group of albums.
good point about the only write to tags option :-)

do I need to copy the play list that I use for the RG in foobar also? I was planning to process the RG on pc and then copy tunes back to the CZ..then rebuild my pay lists there

thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Administrator

The Replaygain tag is like any other tag like artist or track number. It only needs to be calculated and written once. Then the RG values are available for use by any player or software that makes use of them.

You can do that on the player but it's much slower. The entire file has to be decoded and read to find the needed values. That's almost always going to happen faster on the PC than your DAP.

I found the easiest way to do it was to scan my entire library once and write the tags. That way whatever files I use always have RG values available. Part of my tagging workflow is to replaygain scan new files before I add them to my permanent library. That way I know whatever files I use anywhere have the RG tags attached and won't need to be scanned again.

BTW, Replaygain tags are also like other tags in that they can be removed. Once you do the file is losslessly returned to it's original condition with no alteration in audio quaity.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM

awesome! many thanks again.
will have a try with it tonight
cheers

Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 PM

ok replay gain tags applied to my tracks and all tunes copied back to zip. RG set on for shuffling..so all set for next use :-)

Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 PM

coool.....sounding MUCH more level now nice one guys - thanks

Old 09-08-2013, 05:37 PM

Q: if im adding a new album to my CZ, when i add the RG tag info using foobar, do i need to rescan all the tracks that im using in the same plalist, or just the new album?
thanks

Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Just the new album is all the really needs to be scanned. Although it won't really matter if you scan the entire list. Whatever files already have RG tags will be ignored during if you decide to scan the entire playlist.

When files load into a foobar2000 playlist all the RG tags are scanned. If all the files in the list have RG tags you get the warning they already have tags and are asked if you want to scan them again. You can scan them again but the values in the RG algorithm haven't changed so doing it again won't change the values that are found.

That's as long as you scan using the same option. If you change from scanning by albums by tags to scanning the whole list as a single album the album gain will probably change.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 PM

hi skip,

cool - many thanks for that - i wasnt sure whether it needed to process them all together to get the values for the tags

cheers
dan

Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

RG stores the per track loudness, and (optionally) the per album loudness. So you can scan individual tracks or whole albums, but you don't need to scan anything more than that.

FWIW, Foobar2000 is smart enough that if you give it a big mess of files, it'll scan only the ones missing tags, and automatically figure out which album each belongs to based on its file tags.

Last edited by saratoga; 09-08-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-08-2013, 07:45 PM

nice info thanks

ahh, right - and so when the player comes along, it adjusts play back volume according to the tag value, then i guess

Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Exactly. The contents of a typical replaygain tag are:

Track gain : -10.65 dB
Album gain : -9.65 dB

So on decode, the player simply subtracts 10.65 dB (track mode) or 9.65 dB (album mode). That way each track has the same volume (track mode) or each album has the same volume (album mode).

Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 PM

ah right i see - thanks

fairly sure i went for album mode - but sounds like track mode might have been better for me? as 90% of time im just using shuffle on a group of albums

...but i think there is a limitation in track mode where the tracks have to be from same album? .... or ive got my wires crossed

cheers

Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM

If you use track mode then all tracks are the same volume. If you use album mode, then all albums are the same volume.

If you don't listen to albums, then there is not much point in album mode.

Last edited by saratoga; 09-08-2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: volume -> album

Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM

im sorry i dont understand :/
"If you use album mode, then all volumes are the same volume"

Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 PM

opps, typo

Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 PM

ah i see - you mean volume is the same within an album?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 PM

No, I mean that each album will play at the same volume.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM

ah ok i see. thanks