android
Old 10-06-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Walkman NWZ-S544 committed suicide

It looks like my Walkman S544 has finally given up the ghost, but before I lay it to rest I'm going to give this one more shot and see if anyone here has some suggestions.

The problem:

Every so often the Walkman would abruptly reset itself while playing music, and then spend about 10 minutes on the "Every moment has its music" loading screen before rebuilding its library and coming back to life. The last time it did this, half of my song info became garbled (e.g. bands were labelled as '-') so I knew the end was nigh. A week ago it did its reset thing again while I was walking home from work, and now it stays stuck on the "Every moment has its music" loading screen, eventually turning itself off.

The last time this happened I reformatted the data (not firmware!) partition and everything was fine, however that was when I was on WinXP. I'm now on Win7 and although I've managed to reinstall the Walkman device as a portable HDD, Win7 can't access it claiming that there are no volumes on the device.

Predictably, pressing the reset button on the back of the device did absolutely bugger all - when does that ever help? Never, that's when.

I tried updating the firmware on the device despite it being up to date, the updater recognized this (so clearly the firmware partition still seems to be partly ok) and warned me about it, I tried to install the firmware anyway but the updater failed to even start the install process.

I recall that there may be a recovery mode that I can use on the player to reformat its data partition, but I cannot remember what button combination brings it up - or if I am just confusing this player with my even older Sansa. I tried the usual volume up / option or volume up / play combo and nothing happened.

Any hope? Or should I cremate the sucker and move on?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2013, 10:22 PM

I'm sad to say that your Sony player is likely toast. Unless it's still within its warranty, I don't think there is anything that can be done with it. Sorry, but it's dead.

I know your position, man. My S545 (the 16 GB version) was perfectly fine until one day it just died. Tried to fix it, spent a week on it... never got it to work. Almost the exact same issue as yours is having. It's in a recycling plant somewhere, now.

And now my A847 (64 GB model) is refusing to boot properly. I can't even get it to work unless it's plugged into the computer. Disconnect it, and it gets stuck building the library. Battery eventually dies, repeat. Nothing works, I can't even get the reset button to do anything any more.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 AM

As far as I can tell, I believe I unknowingly and gradually damaged it over time through static discharge. I think the headphones being wrapped around it while plugged in meant that rubbing against clothes (especially in winter when I wear a scarf and a thick winter coat, and cold means low resistance) would send a current down the cable. The fact that the outside casing is also made of metal (why the heck?) also hasn't helped - I'd frequently get shocked by it during dry winter days. Oh well, I think I'll make the switch to my phone as my mp3 player now, it's just a shame because I liked the equalizer on the Sony a lot, not to mention it being smaller and cheaper than my phone.

Your 64gb model might survive a format of its data partition - my S544 got stuck on building its library twice I believe, and both times I formatted it to get rid of whatever corrupt data was on there. It's pretty incredible how easily these things break.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Wait, yo mean the built-in format option, or formatting through Windows. Because if it's the former, I can't get it to advance far enough to access the options. If it's the latter, then wouldn't I lose the firmware as well?