android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman E Series

Old 10-27-2013, 10:20 AM

Default (Finally) recovered E438F, should work also for E435F (2GB) and E436F (4GB) versions

It's been a couple of months, but I finally managed to resurrect my Walkman from the dead.

The problem: Pressing any button would cause the Walkman logo screen to appear then disappear. The Walkman simply wouldn't start up. Using the pin reset does not help.

The solution (will wipe all data from your Walkman, but I doubt you'd care at this point, as they're all inaccessible anyways):

1. Download the appropriate firmware updater from Sony eSupport onto a Windows XP computer (make sure the locale matches your computer's, otherwise it won't run)

Note: You must have the XP operating system. I tried running this in compatability mode for XP in 7, and it kept on crashing. In the end, I installed XP on a virtual machine for this purpose.

2. Connect the Walkman to the computer with its USB cable

3. Hold the Option key on the Walkman until the computer recognizes the new hardware (should be ROM Recovery), then let go

4. Open the firmware updater and wait for it to recognize the Walkman

5. Click "Start" when it becomes available, then wait (after a while, an orange "Do Not Disconnect" screen will appear on the Walkman's display)

6. If your Walkman disconnects during the update, repeat steps 2-5 until update fully succeeds.

Now at this point there are two possibilities:

7a. When the update completes, a blue "Connected" screen will appear on the Walkman's display. The update has completed, and your computer recognizes the Walkman as a portable device, but has trouble accessing its contents. If so, close the updater, pull out the cable and plug it back in. The normal "Connected USB (MTP)" screen should appear, and your Walkman is now recovered and is accessible from your computer.

7b. When the update completes, the normal blue "Connected USB (MTP)" appears on the Walkman's display. Your Walkman is now recovered and is accessible from your computer.

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]