android
Old 12-11-2013, 02:35 AM

Default need some help with Database

I have updated my Database & it took all the music I had before off but the new music I put on now it only shows one artist. But when you go into the files section it shows all the music I don't understand what the problem is & what folder is the music post to be in Music or #Music

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Administrator

===I've moved this from the old thread where it was originally posted. Bumping open a thread that old that's unrelated to your question is unlikely to get you answers.===

Welcome to ABi

There's another person with the same username posting the same question and others related to Rockbox on the Rockbox forums. Members and devs there have been unable to help them because they have not supplied any meaningful details or responded to questions in a way that let's the person that asks know if they've understood or followed directions. If that's you I'm afraid the results will be the same here.

In post #18 of the thread I moved this from I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
...lestatar, you know like I do the easiest people to help are the ones who have done their due diligence. The times I had to lend you a hand were when you had read the manual, downloaded and tried the software and the results weren't what was expected. You didn't just say, "How do I make a playlist?"

Everybody jumps in then. IIRC funman, the Rockbox developer, came around with some info that helped us both because he saw we had tried and just needed that little bit to get over the hump. The people at Rockbox are rightfully proud of a great free software. If we help them by doing our homework before we say "It's buggy, busted, whatever..." and present them with solid facts to work with when we have a problem I think there's no limits to what they can accomplish.
That was true then and even more important now. There's fewer developers and users involved now than what there were then. That reduces the pool of responders to your questions.

If you want answers it's on you to supply detailed information as to what you're doing, what you expect and what happens differently. If you don't supply that you put anyone that might help in the position of playing 20 Questions to try to draw out what you could supply in your original question.

If this thread goes like this one has on the Rockbox forums I doubt you'll get answers to your questions that will be helpful. The posters there started joking around because the OP has made similar threads and either didn't respond or understand some of the basics of managing music on a DAP.

I'd prefer that it doesn't happen that way here. However if you are the same person and don't supply more info than what was given there I'd think no one here will be able to help you more than they could there.

For the part I can help with, you can place the music anywhere on the player and the Database finds it during initialization. It's not recommended to use the .rockbox folder. I also don't use any of the "#" folders as they take up considerable room and most library management software I've used won't deal with files in those folders.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM

well what I have done is this:
#1 I updated the database
#2 I went back in to see what music I had & It only shows one artist
#3 in settings for database I clicked on every album that you can scan & after that it still only one artist
#4 then I went in Settings & clicked on settings & General Settings & then I clicked on Database settings & I did this things:
Load to Ram
Auto Update
Initialize now
Apdate Now
Select directories to Scan but I have a problem when I go into that:
you has a square box besides some music & it has like a kind of arrow like beside the one that is showing up in the database

Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Are your files properly tagged? The database shows information based on tags not folder or file names. Essentially tags are information that's added to the file so that software that reads tags can identify the information inside the file.

If that information isn't present the Database can't identify the internal information of the file. All it does then is lump them together as "Untagged". You can use the File Browser to play your files but the Database is just about useless without tagged files to read.

My files are organized by <Artist\Album\Track# - Title> so I'm able to navigate using the File browser and find what I want easily. The Database was broken for most of the years I've used Rockbox so I became accustomed to using the file browser. They're also tagged so once the Database function was improved I've been able to use it by just initializing it.

If your files files haven't been tagged you could use a good tag editor like MP3Tag to get them tagged. The name may lead you to think that it only works with MP3 files but it tags every type audio file I use. Once your files are tagged they should appear in the database.

The Database has been improved but it's still isn't the best imo. Auto Update causes duplicate entries for me. Updating also does that at times. I've found it's best for me to initialize the database when I need for it to update. That deletes all the old files that hold the database entries and writes them again based on what's found during a new scan.

Of all the settings you chose the only one I ever use is Initialize Now. That scans all the files on both the internal and external memories. The only place that is skipped is directories that have a "database.ignore" file in them. Unless you create them in other places the only place that file exists by default is in the .rockbox folder. It's suggested in the manual that you don't store music files there so having the database.ignore file in there reduces the scan time.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:35 PM

I have MP3TAG now how do I use it to tag the MP3 Files on my MP3 player with Rockbox

Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Administrator

There's links to some decent tutorials in this sticky. They're where I learned the basics to help fix my tags. They're rather old but the basics behind MP3Tag haven't changed much so they should still be a good place to get started.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:05 PM

i have a problem it says the mp3 player is in USB mode but it doesn't show up in my computer

Old 12-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Administrator

I'd try booting to the sandisk firmware and see if that helps. The directions on how to do that are in the manual. USB in Rockbox works better for some than others. If it's not working in your case you'll have to use the sandisk firmware to manage your player.

If that doesn't work you need to supply more details before anyone can help. It's nearly impossible to supply too much information. Remember you're the only one that knows what's happening on your end.

That means you need to take the lead on this. Unless you describe what you're seeing accurately anyone else is guessing. Most aren't going to do much guessing before they decide it's not worth the effort.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM

i have tagged an album what is the next step to put the tagged music on the player.
I have another question what do you do here when searching amazon.com you see the listing for the album but in mp3tag doesn't list it when searching amazon.com
still have a problem it still list only one artist after I tagged each album

Last edited by cooltwou; 12-13-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 PM

Do you have back of your Old file First off all check all the files and separate new folder with their proper name. If you go to file do some changes may be files remove from the folder.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidmehmood View Post
Do you have back of your Old file First off all check all the files and separate new folder with their proper name. If you go to file do some changes may be files remove from the folder.
I don't understand what you are talking about

Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Have you initialized the database? You need to do that for the database to scan and recognize the tagged files. If that's not working then I don't know what the problem might be. I haven't dealt with the Rockbox database not recognizing properly tagged files. Posting your exact steps in MP3Tag might give a clue as to what the problem might be.

No idea about Amazon and MP3Tag. I haven't used it. Most of my current stuff is independent labels and wouldn't be on Amazon. My older files were ripped with rippers that used other databases like CDDB or MusicBrainz. All I can suggest is you use one of the other databases or tag them manually. The stock installation of MP3Tag has more than one. They need to see full albums to work so if you have individual files you'll need to tag them manually.

When it comes to putting the files on the player I'd check the manual. It says how to do that much better than I can.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Have you initialized the database? You need to do that for the database to scan and recognize the tagged files. If that's not working then I don't know what the problem might be. I haven't dealt with the Rockbox database not recognizing properly tagged files. Posting your exact steps in MP3Tag might give a clue as to what the problem might be.

No idea about Amazon and MP3Tag. I haven't used it. Most of my current stuff is independent labels and wouldn't be on Amazon. My older files were ripped with rippers that used other databases like CDDB or MusicBrainz. All I can suggest is you use one of the other databases or tag them manually. The stock installation of MP3Tag has more than one. They need to see full albums to work so if you have individual files you'll need to tag them manually.

When it comes to putting the files on the player I'd check the manual. It says how to do that much better than I can.
do you think the problem could be that the rockbox wouldn't go into USB mode when plugged into the computer

Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Speculating without more info from you is useless. Unless you supply an answer to the specific question I've asked and more info as to what exactly you're doing there's no sense in me guessing what's the problem.

Post that info and I'll try to help. Until then...

Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 PM

well I don't understand the question you asked

Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltwou View Post
well I don't understand the question you asked
Please tell us what it is you are trying to do. Please tell us the research you have done in troubleshooting your problems. Please tell us the exact steps you took in troubleshooting your problems. Please tell us the results of your troubleshooting in great detail.

Did you read the Clip+ users’ manual? Did you read the Rockbox manual? Did you do a search of Rockbox’s forums? Did you do a search of anythingbutipod’s forums? Did you do a Google search? Show us you have done your homework and someone might help.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Administrator

You don't remember this?
Quote:
...#4 then I went in Settings & clicked on settings & General Settings & then I clicked on Database settings & I did this things:
Load to Ram
Auto Update
Initialize now...
That's what you posted so it seems you've seen that screen before.

After that I posted
Quote:
...Of all the settings you chose the only one I ever use is Initialize Now. That scans all the files on both the internal and external memories...
If you you're not understanding that's a setting you need to use to scan the files after tagging them I really don't know how to make it any clearer.

The database isn't necessary to play your music. If you don't understand how to get it going then you can use the file browser. I recommend you do that until you understand more and are able to ask specific questions to get you past what you don't understand.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
well what I have done is this:
#1 I updated the database
#2 I went back in to see what music I had & It only shows one artist
#3 in settings for database I clicked on every album that you can scan & after that it still only one artist
#4 then I went in Settings & clicked on settings & General Settings & then I clicked on Database settings & I did this things:
Load to Ram
Auto Update
Initialize now
Apdate Now
Select directories to Scan but I have a problem when I go into that:
you has a square box besides some music & it has like a kind of arrow like beside the one that is showing up in the database
i have done all this.
I then tried to hook up the player to the computer though rockbox USB mode but I had a problem it showed it was in USB mode but the computer didn't detect it in USB mode.
I booted it up in Sansa firmware & I did the mp3tag I would add the music & select all music for an album go into the action tab & select amazon & it tagged the music & I saved it back in the folder where the music was at.
I deleted all music on the player in Sansa Firmware loaded on the player from the computer & I loaded each album that was tagged back to the player.
then I booted back up into the rockbox & I did these things:
I update now & initialize now & I went into select directories to scan & selected every one in seen

Old 12-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Was the player in MSC or MTP mode when you loaded it in the sandisk firmware? In MSC mode you see drive letters. In MTP mode you see the name of the player. If you don't remember take all the music back off the player and then set the USB mode in the system settings in the sandisk firmware. Safely disconnect then reconnect.

Viewing the files doesn't necessarily tag them in MP3Tag. You need to either use File=>Save Tag, the diskette icon or CTRL+S to actually save the tags that you add.

Then load the player according to the directions in the link I posted to the manual. After you safely disconnect and the sandisk database refreshes check the Music menu to see if the files show the information you expect from tagging the files. If the sandisk firmware sees the files as tagged then the Rockbox firmware should also be able to see the same tags.

If not, they aren't tagged and need to be tagged. That can be done on the player in MSC mode. No need to take them off to redo them.

Reboot to Rockbox. Use the settings menu to reset your settings. That wipes any changes you may have made to the database scan locations. It also wipes all other settings so if you have made any changes to items like the theme or sound settings you like you'll want to save those first.

After resetting use the context menu to Initialize the Rockbox database. Don't make any other changes in the Database menu except Initialize. Wait a few minutes for the scan to complete.

Try opening the Database menu. Post what you see then.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:40 PM

that worked I see all music now.
but I still have one problem what about the one album that I couldn't find tag information for