android
Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Mid-size font (~11) with wide Unicode coverage?

Historically I have found the size 11 Nimbus font to provide a good compromise between size and amount of information fitting on my Clip+ screen. Lately, however, I have been acquiring more and more music from the Far East, predominantly Japan, which is being scrobbled fine but any Japanese characters only display as boxes since the font does not include them.

Now you can get the Sazanami-Mincho font with CJK support in smaller sizes, but it does not include common accented characters and umlauts that I also need (, etc.). And the size 16 GNU Unifont is kinda big.

So far the size 14 Rockbox-Mix font has proven the best compromise. Still looks a tad crammed on the lil' Clip+ screen, but at least I can see what I'm listening to now. (Theme settings: Base theme = rockbox_failsafe, WPS = Cliplined, Icons = no.)

Can't they just start making something like the "old" Fuze again...? Otherwise I may end up with an iPod Classic eventually, but as often as I've dropped my Clip, I fear the harddrive may not enjoy that even with a protective case. I don't need a microscopically small player (I already have to operate the Clip with pointed fingers), but hardware volume is a must. (And RB obviously.)

Last edited by keyb_gr; 12-29-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Administrator

I'd take a look here. http://translate.rockbox.org/whichfont.php There's also a page here http://rasher.dk/rockbox/fontstats/ with more stats on which fonts support Unicode.

As far as a larger screen is concerned you may want to take a look at the Fuze+. It still sucks horribly in the OF but I find it very usable with Rockbox. It's still a touchpad player but it responds reliably for me now that I've set the sensitivity to my liking. There's also a number of decent themes for it. I don't know if any of them use Unicode fonts natively but it you find one you like changing the font shouldn't be incredibly difficult.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I'd take a look here. http://translate.rockbox.org/whichfont.php There's also a page here http://rasher.dk/rockbox/fontstats/ with more stats on which fonts support Unicode.
Great. Looks like I'd missed 13-Fixed. (This is so typical Rockbox - most everything is possible, you just have to find out how and where.) That's starting to get a wee bit harder on the eyes though. Oh well.
Quote:
As far as a larger screen is concerned you may want to take a look at the Fuze+. It still sucks horribly in the OF but I find it very usable with Rockbox. It's still a touchpad player but it responds reliably for me now that I've set the sensitivity to my liking.
I've thought about the Fuze+, actually. It does have hardware volume buttons. I'd also get the micro and mini USB affair sorted out somehow. The RMAA results I saw showed significant passband ripple from the digital filter though, and I didn't want any regression in that regard. Is that still the case? It's also said to be a fair bit more hissy than, say, a Clip+, whose noise is weakly audible on my usual in-ears already.
Quote:
There's also a number of decent themes for it. I don't know if any of them use Unicode fonts natively but it you find one you like changing the font shouldn't be incredibly difficult.
Last time I looked at skins (a year or two back), the syntax e.g. for WPS files seemed obscure and documentation lacking. I couldn't really get my head wrapped around this stuff at the time. That said, the font just seems to be set by an entry in the theme .cfg file, which would be easily manageable.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyb_gr View Post
Last time I looked at skins (a year or two back), the syntax e.g. for WPS files seemed obscure and documentation lacking. I couldn't really get my head wrapped around this stuff at the time. That said, the font just seems to be set by an entry in the theme .cfg file, which would be easily manageable.
The last time I looked. the documentation was there, including how-to's. But it definitely takes focus.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM

Good day may I know what theme you are using???

maybe my custom wps can satisfy it :-)

Tags
cjk, font, rockbox, unicode