android
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM

Default Player 5.0 Audio File Questions

After updating the external processor on my cochlear implant I can once again enjoy music (at least better than I have been able to for the last several years) through Bluetooth streaming to the processor.

My older Sansa E280 will work with a direct cable into the ComPilot Bluetooth device but I thought a player with Bluetooth would be far more convenient.

As I'm not a fan of any iProducts and have had a Motorola Xoom since they first came out I thought an Android player might be the ticket.

After quite a bit of research I settled on a Samsung Galaxy 5.0 player. Of course then the problem of finding a new one at a reasonable price had to be dealt with. After a few weeks I was able to find a new one at what I thought was a reasonable price ($170 shipped) and started looking at some media player apps.

I have been testing them on the Xoom and so far have downloaded and tried about a dozen on the Xoom and three windows programs on the PC.

The main problem I have had with the three Windows programs (doubleTwist, MediaMonkey, and Winamp) is that they all do not import the metadata tags and then when the files are synched to the Xoom I end up with many "unknown artist" and "unknown album" entries.

I can edit the metadata tags in doubleTwist and also in Winamp and as I won't be adding a terrific volume of music at one time I can accept that.

However, as the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 is somewhat limited in memory I want to sync the files directly to the SD card. However, I have not been able to find any setting in Winamp that allows me to change the sync folder.

I can transfer the file onto the SD card and delete them form internal memory (so far using the Xoom for testing) but would like to avoid that if possible.

So, after all that rambling here's a few questions.

1.) Is there any app / program that will properly recognize the Windows Media Player tags when audio files are put on the Xoom, either via USB or one of the wireless sync applications?

2.) Does anyone know how Winamp can be set to sync to the SD card?

3.) And finally in Windows Winamp (5.666), I can edit the metadata tags fairly easy but even using the Winamp sync feature it still does not recognize the Genre in the Winamp app on the Xoom.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Thanks for any input.

FJ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM

Just use Poweramp, it is a FAR better music app then the others, the only issue I've had with it is the album art, but it reads all the artists/track names/album names in the ID3 tags created by windows media player when ripping to MP3. also synching from windows media player to the sdcard inserted into the player is fairly easy albeit a bit slow (but I was copying 25+ gigs). Give Poweramp a try, they have a 2 week free trial.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:59 PM

Poweramp rules. Well worth the few bucks. Been using it for a few years without issue.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the responses.
I had tried PowerAmp on the Xoom while waiting for the SGP to arrive.

It came this afternoon. Was sold as new but while it is very nice I don't think it is new. (My first ebay disappointment in 15+ years).
Anyway, I took the SD card from the Xoom and formatted it on the SGP and used Windows Media player to sync a test album to the SD card.

With both the stock player and PowerAmp I get Unknown artist - Unknown album.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

FJ

Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Administrator

WMP isn't the best at tagging but the files it tags usually work. I have files that I ripped with WMP and placed on a SGP 4.0. The tags show as expected with the stock player, Winamp for Android, Poweramp, GoneMad Music Player and Jetaudio.
It's not exactly the same but close enough that I'd expect what works for with it showing metadata should work for the 5.0.

What type of files are they? If you're ripping wma files in WMP you have to be careful to uncheck the box to copy protect the files. That's the default and can cause problems when they get transferred to other devices.

You can try checking the tags using MP3Tag. If the tags are displaying there but not on the player I can't think of what it might be that's preventing them from displaying on the 5.0.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Thanks to all who offered input and suggestions.

I tried synching to the SGP SD card using WMP on my Vista notebook (after making sure that the settings were as suggested) but it was pretty much the same in all apps I had on the Xoom and the SGP.

I thought that maybe it was the notebook / Vista combo so I tried it on an older XP desktop (after downloading the latest version of WMP that it would run) and it carried one tag (album I think) but not all.

I had been converting to WAV (Lossless) files and in desperation decided to try something else. I tried ripping another CD using Windows Media Audio Lossless and the synched files & all metadata tags were recognized by PowerAmp.

I then tried these same settings on the Vista notebook and the SGP / PowerAmp combo recognized all the metadata tags.

I went ahead and bought the PowerAmp unlocker and uninstalled the other apps.

I ordered a 32gb Sandisk Ultra and a case for the SGP and I am looking forward to getting it set up a little more and using it.

One odd thing I had happen today is that it lost its connection the the ComPilot a couple of times. I don't know if this is an issue with the SGP or the ComPilot at this point.

Thanks again for the tips.

FJ