android
Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 AM

Default iRiver H340 - randomly fast forwards within a track

Hi,

I wonder if any one else has this problem or knows how to solve it? A few days ago my faithful H340 started randomly fast forwarding within a track, usually about every 3 or 4 songs and usually near the end of the track. It might lose about 20 seconds or so of the song and you can hear the white noise type 'scrambled' sound as it fast forwards. I should add that the songs play fine if played through the PC with the H340 plugged in as an external hard drive...so I know it's not a problem with the tracks or how they're ripped. Just when played back on the H340. I should also mention that when I next turn it on to play it selects different tracks to fast-forward through.

I thought it might be the battery or HDD (40b) so I swapped out both today with no problems, taking the opportunity to upgrade to an 80gb HDD.

Trouble is the problem hasn't gone away. Could one of the diodes be knackered...is it repairable / solvable? Any suggestions gratefully received as I'd hate to see it go in the bin after so many years good service. I should add that I'm running it on the European v1.30 firmware.

Many thanks, Justin

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2014, 02:13 PM

Out of curiosity , after it does the fast forwarding thing does it play the next track?
The only thing I'd try is upgrading the firmware , Rasher has them on his site Rasher's Rockbox related stuff - Iriver firmwares

Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Hi Jumbuck,

Yes it carries on playing the next track as normal really. Unfortunately I've already tried updating the firmware but that didn't fix it...I was on v1.07 when the problem started and I've since upgraded to v1.30. I'm quite happy with the official firmware and don't fancy moving to Rockbox.

One thing I did think of was that if it really is knackered that I could buy a working H320 (as they're fairly common and cheapish) and upgrade that with the new HDD and battery from my broken H340. Ideally I'd move the entire components from the H320 into my H340 case as the case is in good condition and I like it's size and weight. Does anyone know if the innards from an H320 fit inside an H340 case? Are there any pitfalls that I should look out for when removing the motherboard (I'm thinking of the screen and anything under the motherboard). I looked on Youtube but couldn't find any videos of anyone doing this. Does anyone know if this is do-able please...?

Thanks, Justin

Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 PM

Yep you can swap over the cases without to much trouble. The only difference between them is the thickness of the h340 to accommodate a dual platter drive. I think, from memory, that its only the rear case that is thicker.
The old disassembly directions from misticriver are downloadable here http://www.divshare.com/download/24158328-858

Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 PM

The H320 and H340 cases are a bit different . The H320 disks are slimmer so the case is also slimmer (about 3mm I think), so while you can't fit the 40GB hard disk into a H320 you ought not to have any problems going the other way. I don't know if there are any differences aside from the disk dimensions but the best place to look will be the Rockbox wiki because it has an awful lot of information on these devices, including data sheets and images of the components disassembled: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IriverPort

From what I can tell you shouldn't have much trouble at all but you need to do your own research and make up your own mind.

As an alternative to doing a transplant it may be worth considering a H320 with an SSD. The SSDs are exactly the same dimensions as the 20GB hard disks so you can put a high capacity SSD in a H320 and it fits perfectly. You could use a 128GB Kingspec in for example (I have one in my H140). The caveat is that the iRiver firmware only works with hard disks so you would need to run Rockbox only.