android
Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 PM

Default Replacement for Samsung Galaxy Player 4

Hi,
Coming upon 2 years since I acquired a Samsung Galaxy player 4 for 199 bucks. It's OK, but I'd like to get a similar device with a later android version (this maxes out at 2.3).
2 questions
a) should I really bother? I mean, is there anything a later Android offers me?
b) If answer to above is yes, then what's out there? A quick glance reveals that the Samsung galaxy player series is pretty much discontinued. I quite like the size of this device, I really want something that fits comfortably in my palm.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 PM

if you really just want a newer version of android then, almost fully functional KIT KAT for the 4.0 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2537248

honestly the manufactures have given up on making something in this size for this purpose, you either have to go up to a tablet or get a smart phone.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM

I went up to a tablet (actually 2) I have a Samsung galaxy tab 3 8.0 & a Google nexus 7 and I love them both!!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

To be clear, I don't think Sumithar is referring to the S4, but the Galaxy 4S, which as he pointed out maxes out to Gingerbread KitKat will not work on the 4S.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Sumithar is referring to the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0. It's officially stuck at 2.3.5 Gingerbread. Samsung said a long time ago it doesn't have the hardware to go beyond that so they never updated the Galaxy Player line. Fortunately android developers took an interest and you can take it much further once it's rooted.

If it's rooted and you use CM 11.0 from Daniel644's link it will run Kit Kat. I need to get off my lazy butt and investigate if I want to get mine updated. Over here zacp2 (zaclimon) has said that he's dealt with the camera issues. It's running CM 10.2 nicely and I rarely use the cameras so I'm in no rush.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Even if is possible, I don'tt think it makes much sense to update the 4 to KitKat because there is only 512mb of available memory. (I think) Rooting will free that up a bit, but not sure if the time will be worth it.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Even if is possible, I don'tt think it makes much sense to update the 4 to KitKat because there is only 512mb of available memory. (I think) Rooting will free that up a bit, but not sure if the time will be worth it.
KitKat is supposed to work well with devices as low as 512MB of RAM....leaner, more efficient code, like the difference between Vista and Win 7(maybe not quite the same degree, but the analogy works).

Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Administrator

The RAM is only 512 MB but the available internal memory is 5.61 GB. There's also system memory available that takes it up to ~8 GB on mine. By the standards of some of today's low end phones that's a good amount of space to work with.

I think there's enough of a difference once it's rooted to make it worth exploring. I used my SGP 4.0 without rooting it and installing a custom rom for quite a while. Then I started bumping into things that couldn't be done under Gingerbread. It's not just performance. Rooting it allows you to update the android version to use the hardware in ways Gingerbread doesn't. It also let's you kill tons of background processes that hamper performance.

Just getting the old version of Touchwiz out the way frees enough to let the hardware perform well enough to make using updated apps worth while on the 4.0. There's a number apps like the Chrome browser that don't run under Gingerbread. It's not the hardware. It runs fine once you're rooted and install 4.0 or better.

There's also apps that run poorly under Gingerbread. Notably Google Play Music. There's features like gapless playback that don't work under GB that work as expected under JB.

The directions on the Galalxy Wifi All In One thread are fairly easy to follow if you take your time. There's also links to a number of vids to help walk you through the process.

Tags
samsung galaxy player