android
Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM

Default Bad Checksum. Cant boot rockbox all of a sudden! Please help!

I wasnt doing anything with my clip plus. I just plugged it on my pc but kinda panicked cause all my folders are shortcuts but i can still see my files. But on the rockbox file browser, i cant see any files. But i can still play my music.

I did the attrib trick on cmd which i think that corrupted the OS. So now it wont boot up and gets a checksum error and ask to plug in usb cable.

What now?

Also i dont wanna lose my music files there. I dont have any backup.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Sounds like the file system has problems. I doubt you helped that by running the attrib command. I'd have tried chkdsk with the /f parameter. Possibly adding /r. It's been a while since I've needed to fix a disk from the command line so I don't remember the exact switches I used in the past.

Running the attrib command probably changed the checksum of the .rockbox folder and makes it fail it's safety check so it doesn't load a possibly broken bootloader. If there's no hardware failure it should be possible to get Rockbox running again.

Seeing the bad checksum message indicates you need to place a fresh copy of Rockbox on the disk. I'm not sure if that will fix your problem but it's where I'd start.

I'm not sure you're going to able to save the music files. Having your only copy of anything on a DAP is a really bad idea. They fail too frequently in my experience to have them be the only place I store something.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Sounds like the file system has problems. I doubt you helped that by running the attrib command. I'd have tried chkdsk with the /f parameter. Possibly adding /r. It's been a while since I've needed to fix a disk from the command line so I don't remember the exact switches I used in the past.

Running the attrib command probably changed the checksum of the .rockbox folder and makes it fail it's safety check so it doesn't load a possibly broken bootloader. If there's no hardware failure it should be possible to get Rockbox running again.

Seeing the bad checksum message indicates you need to place a fresh copy of Rockbox on the disk. I'm not sure if that will fix your problem but it's where I'd start.

I'm not sure you're going to able to save the music files. Having your only copy of anything on a DAP is a really bad idea. They fail too frequently in my experience to have them be the only place I store something.
Ok turns out, my pc is the problem. It turns any usb that is plugged in to shortcuts, i mean the files inside them!

So it probably messed up rockbox.

So I guess im gonna go with reinstalling rockbox.

How do i do that? Can i just do the normal installation?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Administrator

The recommended way is to use the Rockbox Utility. As long as the PC it's connect to can see the drive and write to it that should work. IIRC if you're seeing the plug USB cable message it's booting but there's no valid .rockbox folder.

That would mean all you need to do is install a build to have it complete the boot. I ordinarily just download a dev build and unzip it directly to the root of the internal memory. If you're at all uncertain about that use the automated installer. The "stable" release version is quite old and lacks several updates that make the dev version run much better for me.

Only if that doesn't work would you need to reinstall the bootloader. That resides on a hidden partition that shouldn't be affected by any disk problems.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The recommended way is to use the Rockbox Utility. As long as the PC it's connect to can see the drive and write to it that should work. IIRC if you're seeing the plug USB cable message it's booting but there's no valid .rockbox folder.

That would mean all you need to do is install a build to have it complete the boot. I ordinarily just download a dev build and unzip it directly to the root of the internal memory. If you're at all uncertain about that use the automated installer. The "stable" release version is quite old and lacks several updates that make the dev version run much better for me.

Only if that doesn't work would you need to reinstall the bootloader. That resides on a hidden partition that shouldn't be affected by any disk problems.
So I can just use the atutomatic installer? I dont wanna go manual. Will it overwrite it autotmatically or should i manually format the drive first?