android
Old 01-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Default x5 Purchase advice

Hello there,

I'm thinking of buying an iAudio X5 and could do with a bit of advice before taking the plunge. Here's a few questions, any replies to any of these would be appreciated..........
  • Is it better to go for the long player if possible ?
  • Does the long player come in 20 and 30 GB ?
  • Can you only record via line in with the sub pack and is it supplied as standard ?
  • What cameras are compatible with the USB Host function (the link on their website doesn't work / Pentax Optio 50 ?)
  • Can you really schedule an FM radio programme to be recorded as you would set a VCR ?
  • Are the FM radio recordings as good as the broadcasts on the player / stereo ?
  • Is there a shuffle play facility ?
  • Can you change the battery yourself when it eventually runs out as they sell replacements on Ebay ?

Lastly and more important than above, whats your biggest beef with the player ?
Anyone regretted buying one and why ?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2007, 09:50 AM

Hi Jimmy

For the choice between X5 & X5L, just determine how long you want to listen between charges. The L is a little fatter & heavier.

The X5L comes in 20gb & 30gb versions.

Yes, you record via the sub pack & yes, it is supplied in the box.

Don't know about the camera, sorry.

FM recording is at the press of a button, AFAIK you cannot set a timer to do this.

I've not played much with FM recordings although I understand there is a restriction on recorded file size - which will have an effect on SQ.

There is a shuffle option.

The battery is not user-replaceable, if you're handy with a screwdriver you can always replace it yourself.

Biggest beef with the player is that the standard UI is poor & the SQ is a disappointment. Using the Rockbox dual boot sorts out both problems.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Biscuit. I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting one as noone has posted here with any major gripes and it seems to have all the features that I want.

If anyone else could give me some assurances re radio recording I'd really appreciate it. (Have been stung once already with a Samsung YHJ70 which only recorded the radio in mono !)

Cheers,

Jimmy

Old 01-18-2007, 02:58 PM

Radio recording is up to 320kbps stereo MP3 - the maximum that is possible within the MP3 standard. Same as line-in recording.

Here's a better list of supported cameras: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1461
Pentax Optio 50 doesn't seem to be supported, but you can always attach a USB card reader to the X5's USB-OTG... so it's not really a problem. Or maybe the list is outdated, and in the meantime the Pentax works, with a newer firmware.

The shuffle option is excellent - you can choose between shuffling folders/folders + subfolders/complete disc.

I completely disagree with Biscuit about the sound quality - I've yet to hear any player that sounds better. (Except MiniDisc players.) Without EQ and sound enhancements the original firmware sounds the same as Rockbox, at least to my ears.

The GUI is fine, IMO - but a little tacky and kitschy... that can be easily sorted out with H3Mod - my GUI is plain black and white now, no more candy colors.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:48 AM

I think I may be getting the x5, not sure yet though...

My questions are...

1. What do you mean by being able to change the battery yourself, is it something that I can get a battery from walmart or target, unscrew the back and just snap out the battery and put the new one in, or is it more complicated than that?
2. Has anyone used this to run with on a daily basis, and how long has it lasted? If it is a bad idea with a Hard Drive mp3 player, then no big deal, I have a flash based sansa I can use for that
3. If the hard drive fails, how easy and costly is it to replace the hard drive, and can the average joe do it without problems?
4. is the joystick really easy to break, kinda easy-ish, or as long as I don't throw it, will it be ok?
5. Is this MSC(UMS or something like that, idk) compatible? And will this work with windows ME?
6. Is it nesissary to use a program to put the songs on the x5, or can I just drag and drop?
7. With rockbox, can I get away with just id3 tags w/o a file heirarcy, and still be able to view album, and artist info?
8. Compared to the ipod nano(1st gen), how is the battery life of the x5, and the x5L?
9. COmpared to the sansa e200, how is the battery life?
10. Is the battery life on the slimmer x5 bearable?
11. Also, if going from a sansa e200 to an x5, how big is the difference, and will I have to dump what I know about the sansa to work this thing?

thanks for anyone who answers my questions, I know I have quite a few.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 PM

nvm, I found most of the answers, thx for answering my questions abi, you were a real help, lol... o well, I will most likely be getting an x5 instead of the sansa e260 or e270

Old 07-20-2007, 02:45 PM

I agree with dfkt audio on the X5 is excellent. Cowan has a good reputation for making great sounding MP3 players and the X5 is no exception.

Regarding the Sansa e260 and X5, they are both pretty different players.
If you plan on using your MP3 player when running, I would go with the e260, since it is a flash player and the X5 has a hard drive. There are also a lot of after maket accessories for the Sansa, including arm bands for running.

The joystick on my X5 went bad after about 15 months. I baby all of my MP3 players so I'm not really sure why the joystick went out when it did. The X5 has a pretty solid build to it, and the joystick feels solid as well.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:26 AM

i think the joystick was the weakest part of the entire X5 player. it did the job, but it was not sturdy at all, i thought.