android
Old 01-13-2007, 01:37 PM

Default is iriver h10 drag n drop mp3 player???

Hi,

I had recently bought a sony nwa 1000 6 gb but had to sell it online after a day becos I found it too difficult to load songs in it.

I have 5 gb of songs which I have categorised in folders. I am looking for an mp3 player that I can just drag n drop my files in and play.Is iriver H10 right for me.

Cheers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, unfortunately... you can "fix" some iRiver players for useful drag'n'drop support, but not the H10: http://www.iriver.com/mtp/

If you need ~2-8GB, look at the Sansa e200 or any iAudio player, if you need ~20-30GB, look at the iAudio X5. They are drag'n'drop.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:01 PM

It says on site that

If your player comes with iriver plus1 or 2, then you have to use iriver plus software for organizing your music and this can be regarded as UMS version.

and h10 for europe :

H10[5G, color] have been shipped with iriverplus only. H10[5G, pure] and H10[6G, color] have been shipped with WMP10.

Does it mean that some h10 5 gb can be used as drag n drop as long as they come with iriver cd????

Old 01-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you have to use any iRiver software, then it isn't UMS/drag'n'drop... it's not universal, since it can't be used on a Windows 98, Macintosh or Linux computer.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 AM

@dfkt- sorry, I have to say you are wrong!

Depending on what region you are in, the H10 5gb/6gb can be MTP or UMS (but the 20gb is MTP only). All MTP H10 players (including the 20gb) can be temporarially put into a UMS connect mode using something called the "UMS trick" (see below). On top of that, MTP 5gb/6gb H10s can be converted to UMS.

Iriverplus is music management software that can be used to transfer music to select UMS iriver players then update the player's database, but it is not essential- you can still drag and drop files to the player (UMS) but they won't be updated in the database so they will only appear in the "browser" menu, not the "music menu". If necessary, you can then update the player's database using the cross-platform application EasyH10. IIRC in some firmware versions there is also an option to update the DB on the player, but I'm not familiar with this.

However, if you use Rockbox then updating the database isn't necessary; you can browse file-tree or by id3 tags (remembering the Rockbox id3 database is updated on the player).

UMS trick- Reset the player by removing the battery (5gb/6gb) or pushing the reset button on the side with a pin (20gb). Hold down the "O" button and keep it held down while plugging in the USB cable. Keep the "O" button held down while the player starts up and connects to the computer, and keep it held down until you see "emergency connect" on the screen. The H10 is now temporarially connecting to the computer in UMS (but remember you can permanently convert the 5gb/6gb).

Old 02-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Use the UMS trick to drag and drop music via Explorer, and use EasyH10 to update the database.

Google EasyH10 for the download.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Drag and Drop function

Hi,

I have never used software to transfer music to my H10 just drag and drop function, which is the main reason i bought it.
if you have WMP10 or newer then your comp will automatically recognise your H10 and you can just explore it through windows. If your comp doesn't have WMP10 then reset your player and then hold down the select button (on RHS below screen) while you press power button until you see "emergency connection" at top left hand corner of screen, your player now acts as an external disk drive and can be explored using windows in the same way as above. you must reset the player everytime you want to use this function.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D617474 View Post
@dfkt- sorry, I have to say you are wrong!

Depending on what region you are in, the H10 5gb/6gb can be MTP or UMS (but the 20gb is MTP only). All MTP H10 players (including the 20gb) can be temporarially put into a UMS connect mode using something called the "UMS trick" (see below). On top of that, MTP 5gb/6gb H10s can be converted to UMS.

Iriverplus is music management software that can be used to transfer music to select UMS iriver players then update the player's database, but it is not essential- you can still drag and drop files to the player (UMS) but they won't be updated in the database so they will only appear in the "browser" menu, not the "music menu". If necessary, you can then update the player's database using the cross-platform application EasyH10. IIRC in some firmware versions there is also an option to update the DB on the player, but I'm not familiar with this.

However, if you use Rockbox then updating the database isn't necessary; you can browse file-tree or by id3 tags (remembering the Rockbox id3 database is updated on the player).

UMS trick- Reset the player by removing the battery (5gb/6gb) or pushing the reset button on the side with a pin (20gb). Hold down the "O" button and keep it held down while plugging in the USB cable. Keep the "O" button held down while the player starts up and connects to the computer, and keep it held down until you see "emergency connect" on the screen. The H10 is now temporarially connecting to the computer in UMS (but remember you can permanently convert the 5gb/6gb).
Great post.

I have an iRiver H10, 20GB model and I've used the "UMS trick" with EasyH10 from day one and loving it. It's very free-ing to not have to use a cruddy program.

(GREAT player. Love the H10, really. Unfortunately, my music collection rapidly expanded above 20 GB faster than expected, and I now need a new player. Thinking of the Zen Vision M 60gb.)

But yeah, the H10 is awesome, been using mine daily since January '06, I highly reccommend it.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Someone please help me with my iRiver H10 (5GB). i dont know how to reset the device so ALL the files will be deleted in order to re-upload songs. Even though i have "removed" files from the device, there are playlists that still exist and i want to get rid of it. how can i fix this problem