android
Old 01-18-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Preventing dust from going under the screen.

As others have already mentioned, dust can easily get under the screen. An easy solution would be to cover the usb connection and the memory expansion slot with tape, but this would be impractical, because the usb connection, while being the largest entry point for dust, need to be frequently used. Covering these holes would have limited efficiency because dust can still get through other interstices (between the buttons/jog wheel and the front cover, for example).

Anyway, there is no real need to make the whole inside of the e200 to be dust-proof. Dust is unlikely to interfere with the mechanisms (buttons, jog wheel and hold switch.)

Altough if you, like me, are using your Sansa e200 in a dusty environment, you may have found out that it doesn't take that long for an annoying amount of dust to become stuck under the screen. I was tired of taking my Sansa apart every few weeks to clean the screen, so I found an efficient way to make it dust-proof.

Basically, I installed a gasket between the screen and the front cover. Sandisk tought about it: there is already a gasket there, but it is poorly designed and inefficient.

Here is the detailed procedure I used:

First, you must take your sansa apart. You can use my "dummy" guide for this, or you can use the less detailed procedure found in the red wheel mod.

Be careful not to touch the lcd screen or the inside of the front-cover window. Any contact with your fingers will leave obvious fingermarks.

As a gasket material, I used vinyl tape, commonly called "electrical tape" or "black tape", easily found in any home hardware store. I don't recall the thickness of the tape I used, so maybe you'll have to do some experimentation for yourself.

I used a sharp x-acto type blade to cut the tape to the proper size. I took a large piece of tape from the reel, then stuck it to some scrap plastic piece I used as a cutting board, then used a ruler and the x-acto blade to cut it to the right dimensions.

Vinyl tape is elastic by nature but, unlike a rubber band, will take a little time to return to it's unstretched state. The act of unrolling it from its reel stretches it a little, so you must wait for it to "recover" before you cut it to the proper dimensions or apply it inside the Sansa.

You have to patch-up the obvious design flaw of the original gasket. For some reason, there is a large piece missing on the lower-right side of the screen.

Here is a picture to illustrate this (I don't have a camera, so I used a picture I found on the web. The credit for the original picture goes to Daniel Stenberg, of the RockBox team).

So, add little rectangles of tape until the gap is filled. It must be even with the existing gasket on the left and with the white plastic frame. In order to make a good seal, the tape must touch the existing gasket and the white frame, but must not overlap them.

Maybe this is enough for dust-proofing the screen, but to make sure I would not have to take apart my Sansa again, I did this to make a tighter seal:

On the inside of the front cover, I added one layer of tape around the screen window, over the existing gasket. I used four narrow strips of tape (about 3mm wide) to make a frame. You must place them so that they are almost visible through the window when viewed from the front. Again, in order to make a good seal, the four strips must touch each other at the corners without overlapping.

I only used one layer of tape for this framing. Maybe more would be needed if the tape you use is thinner. Be careful, though. If the gasket is too thick, the front cover will not close properly.

Before putting everything back together, make sure that the screen and the inside of the front-cover window are as clean and dust free as possible.

Done!

Results may vary and are depending on your ability, but for as long as you worked as carefully as you could, it would be a huge improvement over the original. In my case, it worked perfectly. No more visible dust can get in.

Important note, the usual stuff: I can only take responsibility for the good results you may get. If it doesn't work, then it's your fault. Such a delicate intervention can damage your Sansa if you are clumsy. Proceed at your own risks. If you have to return your player under waranty, don't forget to remove the tape and clean the adhesive residue that may remain, because this would be obvious evidence of tampering.

Last edited by JSV; 06-28-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: More precise title.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Thats a really good method i never thought about that good idea! Thanks for the great instructions!

Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 PM

Very nice, thank you. I got the guide, now all I need is the guts.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 PM

Mods: isn't this good enough to get a sticky?

Also, I can't edit the thread title. I think that "Preventing dust from getting under the screen." is more precise.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 PM

Yeah I agree with JSV. I used his this guide as well as his other "taking apart your sansa" guide when I took mine apart. His detailed instructions gave me the confidence I needed.

Make it a Sticky!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 AM

Awesome guide! I finally mustered up the courage and decided to spend a late night in my lab dust proofing my sansa. Had a handy air gun hooked up to the chemical hood for all the cleaning and making sure I had absolutely no dust inside my Sansa . Everything worked like a charm and so far not a single speck of dust has managed to enter the screen area. I only messed up a little at the step involving prying the front face plate off...didn't quite use a blunt instrument and so at one corner I have a small chip of sorts (nothing really visible). I really dont understand how they could have deisgned such a poor gasket! This should be stickied! Thanks JSV

Old 02-13-2007, 07:13 PM

I just got an E260 and took some wide, clear packing tape that happens to be a bit wider than the screen is tall and wrapped that around the player left to right. The record button is covered and the microUSB port is covered, but I don't even own a micro USB card so...
I used two strips with a tiny overlap. For the tape covering the bottom half of the player, I took a small knife and cut the tape where the click wheel sticks up.

My job gets my hands wet and I was mostly afraid that water would drip behind the screen, but it has worked well for dust and scratches too. If the tape ever gets scratched, no big deal. tear it off and replace in five minutes.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:42 PM

can anyone post a pic of how it looked after you finished
and also post what size the tape was?

Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 AM

It works! Thanks for instructions!
steviep: It looks like the gasket would continue all the way. To the tape size, take a piece of tape and cut it into right size pieces.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I am new here but I have been messing with my E250 a lot and I love it I have dust proofed the screen and now all I need to do is figure out a way to get the scratches out I will look on another post for that

Old 03-18-2007, 01:30 AM

Thanks for the instructions but i just need the courage to open my player.. and do this.. here it goes!

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM

Thanks alot for this guide, once I got the courage to do it I did it with no problems, and the screen is very dust proof.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Just did it. Thanks for the idea. Works great thus far (although it's only been 1 minute since I put the last screw back in).

Old 06-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks, I live in a sandy/dusty enviroment and my sansa is like my baby and the dust and fingerprint marks on it drives me crazy and it never leaves the case it came with but using the tape would work WAY better. Thank you! Now I just need the courage to take the screws out and do it.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM

thanks, ill try this if/when i can repair my headphone jack lol

Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM

Now why couldn't SanDisk implement this in the first place? (please for the sansa view....)

There is no cure for stupid

Old 11-14-2007, 07:15 AM

I must agreed that it's so frustrated when you are seeing all the dust on your sansa screen by a hot and shiny summer day at the beach with your little friend...

Old 12-30-2007, 01:16 AM

I just did this and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Though I used Bondage tape so it's neon purple but basically the same texture. Thanks! =D

Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Rockbox Developer

Just tried this, but I wonder how to remove dust which is allready on the screen (when blowing doesn't help).

Anyway, I hope it will be fine. I omitted the tape frame on the inside of the front cover, let's see.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 PM

Clean the screen and the clear plastic window with a microfiber cloth like is often supplied with eyeglasses. It will take off finger prints, dust, etc. Before reassembly, use a can of air to blow last specs of dust off.

I can't imagine a worse idea than using tape as a gasket. Have you ever touched anything that has had black electrical tape on it for more than a few hours? The adhesive migrates (especially at body temperature like when the thing is in your pocket) and makes everything sticky. Yuck!

What you really want to do is get a thin o-ring that fits around the screen and presses into the existing gasket. That will last and won't make anything sticky in the process.

MR