android
Old 08-24-2007, 08:21 AM

May be a dumb question but... is the firmware and settings located on the memory daughter board? What I mean is if I put my memory board into a new sansa will my firmware go with it or just the music?

Nevermind, I found the guide for newbies and it answered it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter940 View Post
May be a dumb question but... is the firmware and settings located on the memory daughter board? What I mean is if I put my memory board into a new sansa will my firmware go with it or just the music?

Nevermind, I found the guide for newbies and it answered it.
From what I experienced, the firmware and music is on the daughter board. There is some programmable memory on the motherboard, similar to a computers bios. Swapping the memory is all that is needed. Boots right up and your good to go.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT View Post
From what I experienced, the firmware and music is on the daughter board. There is some programmable memory on the motherboard, similar to a computers bios. Swapping the memory is all that is needed. Boots right up and your good to go.
So would buying a 2gig e250-R and swapping the 6gig daughter board from my e270 work?

My player is messed all up (only the right audio channel works, I was wearing it while working in and out of a freezer at a wal-mart for about 8 months). I think the board is warped, or maybe just some bad contacts somewhere (I can get a signal out of both by bending it a bit, I know I should probably try resoldering some contacts). I'm really not sure how to fix my mainboard so if I can replace it with a rhapsody version I will probably do that.

Does anyone know if the -R versions have better hardware or just a different firmware version?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:00 PM
gigman

$125 at Mwave!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 PM

Default It works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpen View Post
So would buying a 2gig e250-R and swapping the 6gig daughter board from my e270 work?

My player is messed all up (only the right audio channel works, I was wearing it while working in and out of a freezer at a wal-mart for about 8 months). I think the board is warped, or maybe just some bad contacts somewhere (I can get a signal out of both by bending it a bit, I know I should probably try resoldering some contacts). I'm really not sure how to fix my mainboard so if I can replace it with a rhapsody version I will probably do that.

Does anyone know if the -R versions have better hardware or just a different firmware version?
I'm not sure about if the hardware components are any different, but I just successfully transported a 4GB e200 drive to a 2GB e200r's motherboard, and it works fine.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Memory cross-compatability?

Stupid question, but I'm curious: Are memory chips from the 'M' and 'C' lines compatible with the 'E' line - i.e. can I buy a broken M260 and swap the 4 gigs into an E250?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Talking e280 price

Here in Canada a refurb e280 is $99.00 on sale

Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Well, that was easy.

So glad this was posted. I just turned my E250 into an E260 with a cheap Ebay find of an E260 with a broken LCD. The switch was no problem. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM

hey man, im in the same boat here not very afraid of doing the mod but i would like to know what point in the process is the most tricky? or is it just a really easy mod? any tips on prep for making the swap out?

heck, can't hurt to ask

Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 PM

Step #6 below made me a little nervous at first, but once I got it, no big deal. All in all it was an easy process using the steps. Just take your time to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT View Post
6. Carefully pry the circuit board from the silver case. Start at the USB connector being extremely careful not to break silver plastic around the connector. The silver case and the circuit board should hinge about the head phone jack. There is some goo under the black plastic in silver case holding the two together.ctri

Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 PM

yeah well, i got a sansa e280 for three dollars from a stacker arcade machine.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:41 PM

Quick question. Can you do the memory switch from a v2 to a v1?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As far I can see from photos, no. You can't switch the memory from a v2 to a v1 unless you solder the memory chips.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:59 PM

ok real quick question, where to you find tool for prying apart the case? will the ipod tool work or is there some sansa specific tool.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:05 PM

After removing the four small silver screws I use a very small flat head screw driver I slide it in between the black face plate and the silver plastic at the top left (if looked at from the front) corner of the player. This is the corner where the lanyard attaches. From that corner you can slowly work down the long side of the player prying apart the two pieces. After you have separated a few inches the parts will come apart easily.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 PM

nm

Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 AM

I did this with my 250 from my dead e270 it works but it won't allow me to sync subscription music once I have done so. I tried formatting the drive and it still won't allow me to. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shawn

Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Default Interesting observation

I don't know if you'll find this to be a SOLUTION for YOUR situation, but....

I bought a defective e260 cheap, and found that it "seemed" to work with the content (junk!) that was already on it, but would not connect to the PC. Windows reported "USB Device Not Recognized" . I tried Recovery Mode, and Manufacturing Mode with e200tool (under Ubuntu), but NOTHING could talk to this player.

I simply replaced the memory module with one out of a working e260. It was newly formatted, reflashed, Rockboxed, and loaded with MY content.

It works like a charm !!! Except, of course, it STILL won't connect over USB. Connecting the cable gives the same Windows error message, which just goes away, and the player charges over the cable. What's nice about this, is you can plug it in while listening with Rockbox, and it WON'T reboot.

So, if you can load it up this way (with another player) with some "permanent "content you won't want to change; and use a microSD card (loaded elsewhere) for your "transient" music, you'll be good to go.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walks View Post
Quick question. Can you do the memory switch from a v2 to a v1?
the flash chip is soldered on and (i think) is different from the v1

Old 05-02-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac0b View Post
Yes I forgot about that, if you have another sansa to test it try it out.
I think if you'd brutally format it with pc and put firmware for e200 series on it, it should work. Try to find out what to format to however, I think it's fat32 but not sure.