android
Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Danneq: roflmao! I have that one on vinyl :-D

Not quite prog but good old fashioned 80's pomp rock - though these guys really could play their instruments and got unfairly lumped as a simple hair metal band. Reb Beach is an incredible guitarist, Rod Morgenstein drummed with Dixie Dregs and Kip Winger is a classically trained musician turned bassist/vocalist/composer.

Their later releases saw them evolving quite a bit musically, some songs even showing <gasp!> prog-type arrangements.

A great band - I am a proud fan :-D Admit it...you are too LOL

I have never listened to Winger except for the occasional video on Headbanger's ball in the early 90ies. I can imagine the prog connections since pomp rock and AOR basically is prog rock with most of the prog stripped away.
I remember Shotgun Messiah! Perhaps I should check them out seeing that they are my countrymen.
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Opeth - Damnation

If you are looking for death metal growls and hard driving music, this is not for you. However, if you want beautifully orchestrated music, with eerie dark lyrics, and beautiful music passages, this is the one to get! Damnation and Deliverance were once thought by Opeth to be packaged as one album. However, the two have been split up, and Damnaton is the quieter of the two albums. But make no mistake, both albums are equally excellent, and each one compliments the other. Out of the two, I like them both, but I think Damnation is the more complex, polished album. Damnation opens with Windowpane, which is the longest song on the album. This sets the mood for the rest of the songs. Closure is the hardest song on the album, with music passages that sound similar to Deliverance. To me, Damnation is more closer to Prog Rock which echoes the bands Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and The Moody Blues. All in all, Damnaion is an EXCELLENT album, and I highly recommend it.

Last edited by musichound; 07-31-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sixpence none the richer - Kiss me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_Me

Old 07-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@ Marvin Musichound: Excellent! :-D

Corrected my post - forgot Marv's musical tastes aren't quite as good as yours or mine...yet
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 07-31-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:04 PM

Sorry musichound, I'm more of a death metal growl and hard driving music kinda guy lol

It's not their latest album, but i still love all the songs in it.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:24 PM

Steve Miller Band - Bingo! (2010) = 3 1/2/5 Stars

From allmusic.com
Quote:
Bingo! is the Steve Miller Band's first studio record in 17 years. Thematically, it's a look back at the the electric blues and R&B that influenced him as a young man. Issued on his own Space Cowboy imprint, is also the final recorded appearance of blues harmonica great Norton Buffalo who passed away in 2009. Blues classics by B.B. King, Lowell Fulsom, Otis Rush, Howlin' Wolf, Earl King, Jimmy Reed, and Jessie Hill are here, along with three selections by contemporary bluesman Jimmie Vaughan. What all of these tracks all have in common is Miller's signature approach: he is a stellar guitarist who has no need to show off, a tight arranger, and an intuitive modern producer (with help from Andy Johns).These 14 tunes (all under four minutes) actually extend the electric blues tradition. While paying tribute to his heroes and contemporaries, there are also nods to his own history as a recording artist. Check Vaughan's "Hey Yeah," with wah-wah guitars and killer solo breaks in the intro and verses. Miller's and Buffalo's harmonies are tight, and evoke the early fusion of blues with psychedelic rock (à la the earliest Steve Miller Band). One can also hear traces of Jimi Hendrix's production style in the tune as well as in his stellar version of Rush's "All Your Love (I Miss Loving)," that adds some gorgeous Latin percussion -- courtesy of Michael Carabello and Adrian Areas --to the silvery, reverb-laden guitar work. Fulsom's "Tramp" has that trademark opening chord, but the rest is pure Miller. He plays sparely, but with swagger aplenty, the funky shuffle at its heart played by rhythm guitar ace Kenny Lee is deep in the pocket; the vocal trade-off between Sonny Charles and Miller is priceless. The lone ballad on the set is the Vaughan/Nile Rodgers' tune "Sweet Soul Vibe." With Joe Satriani guesting (he appears on "Rock Me Baby" as well) it touches on gospel, soul, and modern R&B. Miller's and Satriani's alternate leads are deceptively sweet, but they feel more like knives being sharpened and carried confidently in sheaths. Earl King's "Come On (Let the Good Times Roll)" is a burning solo workout and takes the party jam into an entirely new musical dimension. Vocally, Miller touches on his '70s persona, but it's only a glance; the rest is burning blues. There are also four bonus tracks, the most notable are readings of Elmore James' "Look on Yonder Wall" -- with a killer vocal from Charles -- and the closer, Roosevelt Sykes' "Drivin' Wheel," with Miller's filthiest guitar work of the set. This is a welcome return for Miller, and a must for modern electric blues fans.
Track Listing:
From Wikipedia.org
  1. Hey Yeah (Paul Henry Ray & Jimmie Vaughan)
  2. Who's Been Talkin'? (Chester Burnett)
  3. Don't Cha Know (Jimmie Vaughan)
  4. Rock Me Baby (Joe Josea & B.B. King)
  5. Tramp (Lowell Fulson & Jimmy McCracklin)
  6. Sweet Soul Vibe (Nile Rodgers & Jimmie Vaughan)
  7. Come On (Let the Good Times Roll) (Earl King)
  8. All Your Love (I Miss Loving) (Otis Rush)
  9. You Got Me Dizzy (Jimmy Reed & Ewart G. Abner Jr.)
  10. Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Jessie Hill)

Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Justice and Freedom - Gundam Seed Destiny

Old 08-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Decrepit Birth - Polarity

Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

From Amazon

Grammy Award-winning guitarist and one-time member of The Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, live in concert at London's legendary Ronnie Scott's jazz club. Tracklisting: 'Beck's Bolero', 'Eternity's Breath', 'Stratus', 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers', 'Behind The Veil', 'You Never Know', 'Nadia', 'Blast From TheEast', 'Led Boots', 'Angel (Footsteps)', 'People Get Ready'with Joss Stone, 'Scatterbrain', 'Goodbye Pork Pie Hat/Brush With The Blues', 'Space Boogie', 'Blanket' with Imogen Heap, 'Big Block', 'A Day In The Life', 'Little Brown Bird' with Eric Clapton, 'You Need Love' with Eric Clapton, 'Rollin' And Tumblin' with Imogen Heap, 'Where Were You'.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Cattle Decapitation - Humanure

Quote:
Originally founded in 1996, Cattle Decapitation's songs protest the mistreatment and consumption of animals as well as the abuse of the environment. Lyrics may also focus on subjects such as misanthropy and genocide of the human race. Much of their music is based on putting humans in the situations that animals are subjected to (animal testing, slaughter, etc). Notably, all current members of the group are vegetarians.

Their 2002 album To Serve Man saw controversy in Germany, where distribution company SPV refused to handle the album due to its graphic cover. The cover of the 2004 album Humanure, featuring a cow excreting human remains, was reportedly censored without permission from the label in some outlets. Record store owners did not display the album, making it difficult for customers to find and buy it.

Former member Gabe Serbian is a member of the band The Locust.

Metal author and journalist Garry Sharpe-Young once acknowledged the band as "one of the few metal bands whose message hits as hard as their music".
http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=44806
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_Decapitation

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Listening to singapore's national day songs...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post

From Amazon

Grammy Award-winning guitarist and one-time member of The Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, live in concert at London's legendary Ronnie Scott's jazz club. Tracklisting: 'Beck's Bolero', 'Eternity's Breath', 'Stratus', 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers', 'Behind The Veil', 'You Never Know', 'Nadia', 'Blast From TheEast', 'Led Boots', 'Angel (Footsteps)', 'People Get Ready'with Joss Stone, 'Scatterbrain', 'Goodbye Pork Pie Hat/Brush With The Blues', 'Space Boogie', 'Blanket' with Imogen Heap, 'Big Block', 'A Day In The Life', 'Little Brown Bird' with Eric Clapton, 'You Need Love' with Eric Clapton, 'Rollin' And Tumblin' with Imogen Heap, 'Where Were You'.
The photo you posted is of the BluRay version of the video - I've never seen it, but would love to. The track listing you provided is (I believe) from the CD - no? IIRC, the BluRay version includes the Big Town Playboys set (which I've never seen). I have the original "Exhaust Note" ROIO of those shows and STILL prefer those versions to the commercially released disc.

BTW - My Rockbox database reports that I've played these Ronnie Scott tracks more than any other.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@dfkt: late, but omg...Most. Disturbing. Cover. Ever.

Awesome! :-D

Why do I want steak tartare right about now?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@dfkt: late, but omg...Most. Disturbing. Cover. Ever.
Ever seen the cover of Mayhem's Dawn of the Black Hearts which actually uses the picture of the suicide scene of their vocalist?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It was rated 1 out of The 50 Most Controversial Album Covers Of All Time! by Gigwise.com.[3]

Urgh...

Old 08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
Ever seen the cover of Mayhem's Dawn of the Black Hearts which actually uses the picture of the suicide scene of their vocalist?
Aww man, that is real? Hate to sound like a rightwing nut, but man, that is waaaaay over the top - no way that should ever have been allowed IMO.

I mean, what exactly is the purpose of putting that image on there? Shock value? Sure. Some kind of twisted homage to their mentally ill bandmate? Nihilism and suicide is a good thing for kids to see and possibly emulate [as if most teens aren't messed up enough these days]?

Unless someone can convince me of some reasonable justification for that, that cover simply crosses the line
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM

The back story to the cover photo is even more interesting... maybe read up on it.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 PM

The guitarist took the picture? that's messed up. Ironically though, the singer's name was Dead..

That was bad, nevermind...

Old 08-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The back story to the cover photo is even more interesting... maybe read up on it.
I'm kinda speechless. A...colorful bunch of guys. Probably the most sordid band bio I have ever read. These guys are clearly no joke as poseurs they most certainly are not.

http://www.musicmight.com/artist/norway/oslo/mayhem

But so much history one needs a scorecard for all the personalities involved. dfkt, didn't you mention Burzum once on IRC?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrimson View Post
The photo you posted is of the BluRay version of the video - I've never seen it, but would love to. The track listing you provided is (I believe) from the CD - no? IIRC, the BluRay version includes the Big Town Playboys set (which I've never seen). I have the original "Exhaust Note" ROIO of those shows and STILL prefer those versions to the commercially released disc.

BTW - My Rockbox database reports that I've played these Ronnie Scott tracks more than any other.
I first saw this video on the Palladia cable channel, and i had to go pick up the cd right away, its great . the track listing on the video is different than the cd, Clapton , Josh Stone and Imogen Heap are not on the cd version . Probably due to licensing issues. I picked up the Blu-ray a couple of weeks ago and its great to watch again. i have not watched all of the Big Town Playboys set yet.

Favorite song is Cause We've Ended As Lovers