android
Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 PM

Post Harddisk Shock tolerance

I have been wanting to ask this question for quite some time now. It is about how much shock the hard disk in the ZVM can tolerate before going dead.

Can someone give me a rough idea of how much abuse the harddisk can take, with some examples. Like for example, can it tolerate a drop of about 2 feet on a carpeted floor, or can it be kept in the pocket while jogging?

---------------------------------------
one more thing, that i just remembered. i left my ZVM plugged into the computer one day, and forgot it for the night. My computer was on, so the battery kept charging, and it didn't turn off itself with the idle shutdown. now, it might just be me, but after that happened, i've been feeling like the battery life has gotten short. is that possible, to fry the battery with continuous current for so long?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Bear with me now. I've owned 3 nomad juke box 3's in my day and the first one I dropped more times than I can count even on tiled and cement floor. Eventually the screen broke and I bought a new one. I had number 2 for a week, dropped it once and the hard drive failed. I put hard drive 1 into the second player and it out lasted the player again. I bought a third and after a year and a half the hard drive failed with no drops and for no reason. I was just playing and froze and never worked again. I put hard drive one in it and it still works to this day.

As you can see there is great variation in even one type of harddrive making it hard to answer the question with any degree of accuracy.

I can tell you this: I've had my ZV:M for about 2 months an it has survived 2 drops on the cement from coat pocket level. So far so good.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 AM

so then, its safe to say that nothing much can be said haha
thanks !

Old 02-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideout View Post
so then, its safe to say that nothing much can be said haha
thanks !
hehe well said

My preferred video/audio converter, DVD ripper: Media Coder

Players I own: Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB, Net MD MZ-S1

Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 PM

I think it's safe to say that there isn't anything particularly faulty with this hard drive. Not like the Rio Karma's or 4th gen 40gb iPod. I would get a silicon case off of ebay for some shock absorbency.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:59 PM

It also depends on what the situation was when it was dropped (on, playing a song or off) and how it landed.