android
Old 02-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Not recognized as docked...

Okay, it seems like I recently read a thread on this at the forum, but after searching back four pages and running manual searches, I can't find it. I'd spend more time searching, but I have a heck of a lot of music to get transferred onto my Zen before I leave for a trip Sunday at 5:30 AM.

I told my Zen to sync. I think I might've made some wrong choices. (There should really be a walk through on syncing that's stickied.) I told it I wanted to do things manually, and not have it uploading everything from everywhere. I told it to let me tell it when to start syncing. I guess I told it to wait for me to tell it to recognize I'm docked, too, somewhere.

It started transfering my DL A-M folder, then froze at four percent. So I brought out a paper clip and reset it, then deleting the few files that managed to make it on. I now cannot get my computer to recognize my Zen is in even though the Zen screen says docked. I need to get crackin' trying to get folders to transfer really soon, espicially if the Zen is going to freeze and not transfer them easily.

Again, I'm real sorry for repeating this question if it's been asked before...(Really, sycning for dummies sticky? I think so.) Any help that could be offered would be so very greatly appreciated!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2007, 11:49 PM

More details:

When I first plug in the Zen (Vision M: 30 GB), I get the option of take no action, (sync) with WMP, or (sync) with MediaMonkey or (organize files) with the Zen media explorer.

To sync last time, I clicked a balloon that popped up in the bottom right of my computer from my taskbaresque section. I can't get that now, and even though that message popped up, actually clicking on the white Zen Vision M media explorer will not read that I am connected. I had hoped I could just transfer the folders from there, but that is not the case now. And, yes, I just tried clicking on Zen Media Explorer in the pop-up I spoke of in the first paragraph. And restarted the computer. And acutally docked and undocked several times. Still not recognized.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:01 AM

Plug it in again then go to Computer Managnement>Device Manager.

Do you see Portable Devices anywhere? Under that should be Zen Vision M. If you see it try right clicking it, disabling and then reenabling.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Thank you very much for the reply. I was just frantically returning to searching the forums, when, under a completely different thread name, I came across something that worked as a solution. (Which ended up being resetting it. Again.) I was actually looking for a way to delete this thread before anyone was bothered, but I just so happened to hit a new problem: freezing again while transfering. I got 26 files this time before it stuck. Even the charging lightening bolt stopped and the docked arrows that should be spinning since it's transfering are obviously not.

So I guess my new questions are if resetting it hurts, and/of if it's more/less pain the more often you are driven to do it.

Also...why does my Zen keep freezing when transfering? I now have to reset the bloody thing. Again. And try this all over. =/

Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 AM

What program are you using to sync your files? Try using Windows EXPLOREr to transfer your files instead of Media Monkey or WMP. See if it still freezes.

If it still freezes..I could think of two possible problems.
1. Windows did not properly download the drivers for you when you first connected.
2. Corrupted firmware

Can you see if the Vision M is in your Device Manager? Try disabling and then reenabling the driver if you see it.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 AM

I guess I'm just using the Zen that came with it. I click the little white Zen icon that says "Zen Vision M Series Media Explorer", and then go through the list to find the folder I want to add. I'm just going one folder at a time (granted there are probably a bit over a thousand in each.) Before, I have simply ripped a CD or two using this program and some drag/drop of downloaded individual files. And that's always worked out okay.

I just got to 162 out of 1478 files just now to have it freeze again. That's a huge jump up from before, but it always ends in me having to reset the player once, then turn it off, reset it again, and then wrestle with the computer to recognize it.

I'm sorry if it sounds dumb, but where would I find the device manager part?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:23 AM

Okay, I'm going to try clicking "sync with Windows 11" to see how that whole thing works out. The computer makes the "recognized connection of product" noise, but Zen's Media Explorer just doesn't seem to want to realize it's connected.

Never mind-WMP cannot recognize a portable device. I do just as well with my constant resetting in pairs and fighting Zen explorer.

I thought Zens were supposed to not have all this pain in the butt impossible stuff as other players. =(

Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 AM

To go to device manager go to Control Panel (classic view) --> Administrative tools - Computer Managment - Device manager

Since you hear the 'sound' you should see Portable Device there. Click on it and disable 'VISION M'. (Vision M should undock) And then reenabling it (M should redock).

You can also try to uninstall the driver (Portable Device>Vision M), plugging in the player and reinstalling the Windows driver. (Windows should do this automatically once it detects the player: New Hardware windows should pop up. Click yes to install the driver.)

Also, you're using XP, correct?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:13 AM

Yes, XP.

Disabling and redocking doesn't produce any new result. I still have to reset my player a second time and redock to get Media Explorer (Zen) or any other music product to recognize it.

Would it be the installation disc that also says Installation CD and Microsoft on it and has a Vision M player and all sorts of decorations or the colorless one that just says Zen Vision M Installation CD? Or is it both?

And which part in my Add or Remove programs am I to remove? I have listed Mediasource 5, Creative System Information, Creative Zen Vision M series,Creative Removable Disk Manager, and Zen cast.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 AM

Plug the player, go to Device Manager, Portable Device > Vision M. Right click and uninstall driver.

Upon plugging the device in again, Windows should automatically reinstall the driver for you. (New hardware screen should pop up.)

You can also try upgrading the firmware. Maybe it's your firmware and not your driver that's corrupt.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 AM

I have determined my two main problems to be:

1) Zen keeps freezing when transfering music, and must be reset.
2) Computer recognizes Zen as docked, but no music programs or anything that will let me add music does. (Unless I reset the player again.)

I've got about 1,150ish songs on there now, and it's taking longer and longer to rebuild the library each time. Imagine how laborious this process will be if I ever manage to get four thousand on there. And I've got even more than that I need to transfer.

Edit now that I've seen your post: Okay, thanks for that tip. I'll try it the next time my Zen freezes. It's transfering okay now (it usually does when just skipping the first thousand already loaded.)

Tell me about upgrading firmware, please. That will be my next step after the driver.

Also, thank you so very much for continuing to advise me on this matter! You're a hero in my book, for sure.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:41 PM

I tried reinstalling the driver a couple of times. I'm not sure if it's helped. I think so. I had to reset it again to get it to be recognized, but since then I've been able to disconnect it and reconnect it with programs recognizing it okay.

Is the Zen freezing an internal problem I should take the player in under its warranty for? It's making it really hard to get anything transfered.

Edit: Yes, my half of my initial problem appears to be totally fixed. Now, when it freezes and stops transfering, I just undock the player. It updates the files. I redock it, and it's recognized, then start transfering again. Then it tranfers a few, and freezes again. Repeat. What's the issue now?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Ok, my Zen also has this problem freezing while transferring... sadly i believe there is no fix! :'( You could try uninstalling then reinstalling WMP11 that worked for me a couple of days ago when it wasn't recognized. But thats about it. Good luck! And have fun on your trip!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:59 PM

Hmm, I got the same kind of player as you during the same month. I wonder if this batch just has some bug in it that freezes when transfering? Maybe someone who's had a 30 GB Vision: M for longer could speak up on if they've had freezing issues or not.

And thanks for the well wishings! I'm quite excited about it. (If not a little anxious on what state my music will be in to listen to, lol.)

Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 PM

yeah I've posted a whole topic on this and no one else seems to have a problem with it! i guess its just you and me mate!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Haha, well, at least I'm in good company even if it's not the best of places.

Have you tried contacting any warranty people to see if you can send it in somewhere to be worked on?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:06 PM

yes i have contacted the creative staff... they are clueless they told me the same thing i got here: reload firmware, reinstall software, recovery mode etc. lol. you might want to take a paper clip case for your trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zieter

I was recently on a four hour hike with my ZVM and approximately three hours in it froze. I didn't have a paper clip with me and I wasn't about to try and shove a stick in the reset hole, so I was without tunes for the rest of the hike.

Later that day I was writing a note with a Bic pen when It a solution for carrying around paper clips hit me. Using a wire cutter I cut a paper clip into several short, straight sections. I then took the ink tube and end cap off my Bic pen and cut it a little longer than the paper clip sections. I replaced the end cap and placed the paper clip sections inside. I then took another end cap off another Bic pen. It makes for a small, sealed tube with several "reset pushers" inside.

I Keep this in the bag that came with my ZVM (which I usually bring with me anyway) and I'll always have a way to reset my player. The best part is that my ZVM is protected from scratches caused by the paper clips and they are harder to lose. The best part is it costs about ten cents.

Works for me. Just thought I'd share.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:35 PM

How impossible. What about this reloading firmware? I haven't tried that. What exactly do I do, uninstall everything that came and then reload those CDs it came with back onto the computer?

Would that take long, or would I have to get ALL of my music files loaded back onto Creative and really just lose time in the end?

And my player has regressed back to freezing where I have to reset it once fully to get it off the docking screen, and then a second reset so the computer will recognize it. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take so long each time to rebuild. =(

Old 02-03-2007, 01:45 PM

1. DONT REFORMAT IT (u lose everything)
2. Did you even load new firmware on it yet? (since u got it)
3. Firmware available here
4. Try try again!
Dont contact creative u dont ahve enough time. dont install the stuff on the cds unless u want the stuff (waste of time IMO). Your best bet would be to keep it going!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:52 PM

Since I've gotten it, all I've done has been to load all the CDs that came with it. I don't use the ZenCast, and I don't use their Media organizer. Just Media Explorer to add files (I don't know how else to do that.)

So, I suppose it's time for me to click your handy link and download that firmware. Should I just DL the latest? Or should I do some older ones? Will I be doing anything different once it DLs other than just clicking the Vision M Media Explorer and then choosing the folder I want to transfer?